5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant
Published on 1 Nov 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars mixed up fairytale book
Good story - slightly scary/weird but held imagination and interest of my 7 year old. Could recommend it. Ideal for mixed up fairytale theme.
Published 16 months ago by Georgia1

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 1 Nov 1999
By A Customer
A very funny and lively book, loved by every child (from 1 to 10 )that I have ever read it to. It turns the traditional story on its head and has a truely happy ending. Excellent illustrations. It can be read over and over again. Everyone should read it. Great for school, where I have used it a lot (loads of work flows out of it, I did a class assembly on it) and great to cuddle up and read at home.

5.0 out of 5 stars An action-packed subversion of the three pigs. Great!!, 7 Mar 2005
ELH Browning "Esther-Lou" (Kingston Bagpuize, Oxon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
We have had this story so many times from the library that I have now got to buy a copy. It's based on a reversal of the story of the three little pigs, a subversion which the children think is funny to start with, but there's more to it than that. Three little wolves build successively more secure houses with increasingly interesting building materials to keep themselves safe from the Big Bad Pig, and the pig uses a sledgehammer, a pneumatic drill and finally explosives to destroy them. This whole process is fascinating to a three year old boy. After this escalation, there's then a lovely peaceful end to the story where the wolves realize that super-secure construction isn't the answer and try a different approach involving sweet-scented flowers which reform the pig and he moves in with the wolves. There are surely lessons on life to be drawn here but for the children it's just a great action-packed story with additional fun to be had spotting the teapot throughout the book. Helen Oxenbury's illustrations are lovely - with a touch of menace in the earlier pictures and lovely colourful jubilant ones at the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars So brilliant!, 18 Jun 2008
Zakia Khan - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig (Paperback)
I loved the illustrations - Loved the pneumatic drill! My 5-year old laughs hysterically when I read it for her. It turns conventions upside down and makes traditional fairy tales seem tedious and bigotted. Go little wolves!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful variation on an old and much loved tale, 23 Oct 2006
Marshall Lord (Whitehaven, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
A few years ago I bought this for my cousin's young children, and they greatly enjoyed it. This year I bought it for my own five-year-old twins, and they also loved it. And it's also very funny for mummies and daddies.

As will probably be obvious from the title, it reverses the tale of the three little pigs and the big bad wolf. But where the big bad wolf was an arch loser who only managed to be dangerous because the first two pigs were silly, in this story the big bad pig is as smart as he is mean.

Probably the ideal time to introduce this to your children is when they have just started to get bored with or see the holes in the traditional versions of all the favourite stories - it would not be as funny to someone who did not know the story of the three little pigs.

Very strongly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars the Best Kids Book, 15 Oct 2006
I can't recommend this highly enough. Both me and my 6 year old absolutelyy howl with delight every time we read it, and this is as much to do with the pictures as the text The face of the pig as he demolished house after house is ever more happy. Why it isn't better known beats me - though I guess traditionalists might be horrified at it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great take on old tale, 10 Sep 2003
James Bury (Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
One for both children and adults alike. An extremely amusing twist on the classic tale sees the roles reversed with 3 little wolves being tormented by the big bad pig. Well written, beautifully illustrated, plenty of appeal for young and old. A sure fire hit with children of any age - great as a present.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for children who like disarranged nursery tales., 25 Jan 1999
By A Customer
A thoroughly original and modern 'take' on the much loved favourite of the three little pigs and the big, bad wolf. My children [aged 5 and 7 ] definitely prefer this version.The illustrations add to the humour and irony. Our reading led to some profound discussion about violence, pacifism and reconciliation [ in child speak, of course]. I can't understand readers who find the moral confusing. Doesn't anyone remember flower power?

5.0 out of 5 stars love it - a must have, 11 Aug 2000
children find building sites facsinating enough, now they get to see where reinforced steel chains and slurry cement really come in useful. had me and me 4 year old in stiches! and a happy ending, a few deep breathes pretending to smell the flowers, and everyone gets a good nights sleep. certainly takes the spook out of wolves.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent variation on the three little pigs fable, 19 Mar 2010
This review is from: The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig (Paperback)
This book is particularly excellent, not only for its illustrations, but also for its originality in trying a new version of the timeless three little pigs. Instead of three pigs, we now have three sweet wolves and as the antagonist a big bad pig, very resourceful and dangerous in trying to enter their new homes, as they reinforce them with several security devices. Though I am not going to reveal the ending, I can just say that I found it original. As for the illustrations, they are wonderfully detailed and painted with great precision.

A great book to buy for the whole family. Even for adults.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 10 July 2007
Bradley J. Yates "dude" (england) - See all my reviews
I got this book when i was three and my mom would read it to me. I am now 17 and i read the book to myself and i still laugh everytime i read it. Its an awsome book!!!

The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig
The Three Little Wolves and the Big Bad Pig by Eugene Trivizas (Paperback - 2 Oct 2003)
5.24