5.0 out of 5 stars Great for reluctant readers
Published on 26 July 2007 by Smile

3.0 out of 5 stars My rating of flat Stanley
I chose this rating because it was a little bit good and a little bit bad.
I liked about this book that it was exciting and funny however I disliked it because it was a little bit short.
Published on 5 May 2013 by molly pierce

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for reluctant readers, 26 July 2007
This review is from: Flat Stanley (Paperback)
I recommend this book to any 6/7 year old who is struggling with reading. Having bought virtually every book suitiable for his age, this was the first book my dyslexic 7 year old boy was happy/keen to read. I read a page, he read a page, without his usual reluctance. Storyline of child squashed by a notice board and then sent to America in an envelope (so his parents could save on the airfare) captured his imagination and he wanted to see what happened.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great classic, 5 Feb. 2007
This review is from: Flat Stanley (Paperback)
I read this as a child, and loved it then. Now, as an adult, when I read it I recognise all the little touches the author included to keep both audiences happy. The humour is quite dry, even dead pan, the turn of phrase restrained, but the resulting story of Stanley, flattened by his fallen bulletin board and forced to approach life in a new way, is one of the funniest children's books I've ever read.

I'm not sure why the publishers have dropped the original Tomi Ungerer illustrations - I thought they were great, and beware the disappointing abridged version which misses out some of the best bits - but this edition of Flat Stanley still deserves top marks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!, 7 Aug. 2010
S Riaz "S Riaz" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Flat Stanley (Paperback)
The first in the Stanley Lambchop series has him turned flat when squashed by a bulletin board! This leads to several hilarious adventures, the best in my son's opinion when he is 'hung' in an art gallery to catch robbers. However, this is only the first and there are many more books to explore. Start with this one though - still fresh so many years after it was first published.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Original Holds Up Well, 20 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Flat Stanley (Paperback)
These are very cool books with an interesting history. This original "Flat Stanley" appeared in 1964 and five more books were published between then and 2003. When the original author, Jeff Brown, passed away in 2003, the series was converted to the "...Worldwide Adventures" line. These new books, (there are at least ten), have been written by a variety of authors, including Sara Pennypacker, the well known author of the very engaging "Clementine" books.

Still, though, this is the original, has a cheerful family friendly 60's vibe, and has weathered the passing decades very well. In this volume we learn about how Stanley ended up flat, we experiment with Stanley as a kite, we mail him to California, and for a socko finish we foil a robbery. MILD SPOILER. Stanley gets unflattened at the end of the book, but we know he was so popular that he ended up getting reflattened for later volumes.

These books have more going for them than just the "flat" gimmick, although that is a pretty good hook. The overall feeling is one of innocent gung-ho good-guy adventure. The deadpan acceptance by everyone of Stanley's flatness has a pretty subtle positive message, which is high-lighted from time to time by Stanley's parents just so we don't miss it. The good-guys versus bad-guys angle is always clear and crisply presented. There is a lot of dry humor and just a little bit of an arch kidding of the material in the narrative. Moreso than in any of the other books there is a lot of byplay between Stanley and his mildly envious younger brother Arthur, and there are some touching scenes between them toward the end of the book; something I wouldn't necessarily expect in such an otherwise jokey story.

So, while at one level the books are sort of silly, they are written with flair and energy and touch a lot of early readers' favorite bases. Certainly this book would be a zippy and engaging addition to the library and a nice choice to try on an early reader.

Please note that I found this book while browsing the local library's Kindle books, and downloaded it for free. I have no connection at all to either the author or the publisher of this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars It is a very imaginative book and we all enjoyed reading it, 24 Mar. 2004
Ms. S. H. Jones (Johnstown, Wrexham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flat Stanley Pb (Paperback)
Thank you for selling Flat Stanley. It is a really great book. We are a class of Year 3 and 4 pupils from Johnstown Junior School, Wrexham and we all liked it.
Stanley is flat because he got squashed by a bulletin board. He has a brother called Arthur who says 'Hey' a lot, and who is jealous of Stanley. Stanley goes on lots of really exciting adventures, he even becomes a hero! If you read it you will go on an adventure too.

4.0 out of 5 stars New to Flat Stanley, 29 July 2013
This review is from: Flat Stanley (Paperback)
After hearing an American friend describe the book and how she visits parts of the world and sends a "Flat Stanley" to her nephew, I decided to buy the book for my sister's grandson. A lovely book and a good read and the recipient was really pleased with it. If I had to mark it down it would be because the glossy front cover does not prepare you for the black and white pages/pictures inside the book. For the target audience I would have thought coloured pictures/writing would be better.

5.0 out of 5 stars a great children's story, 1 Aug. 2013
schumann_bg - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Flat Stanley (Paperback)
I bought Flat Stanley for the illustrations by Tomi Ungerer, which are utterly superb line drawings in black and white, but the text is also outstanding - a boy gets flattened when a notice board falls on him while he sleeps and spends some time half an inch thick. Although initially he likes this it becomes irksome in the end, but his brother finds a way to get him filled out again. Before this there are a number of episodes exploiting his shape: retrieving a ring that has fallen through a grating in the pavement, sliding under doors without opening them, turning himself into a human kite, being posted in a large envelope for a holiday in America. The piece de resistance involves his flatness quite specifically in an art gallery, used to catch thieves in a way only he can ... Jeff Brown writes in a crisp, alert style that matches the events brilliantly, with lots of comic undertones in a fast-moving narrative. It would clearly grab a child's interest but is delightful for adults too.

4.0 out of 5 stars the brilliant flat stanley, 15 Aug. 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Flat Stanley Pb (Paperback)
I love the story "Flat Stanley". My favourite part is when Arthur flies Stanley as a kite. Arthur, Stanley's brother, was jealous because Stanley was flat and could do so many amazing things, so Arthur tried to make himself flat by putting loads of big heavy books on himself. It didn't work!

Stanley was very brave because he stopped the museum being burgled. He did this by pretending to be a picture! When the burglars came he called for the manager of the museum. The burglars got taken to prison. Stanley became famous.

After that, people on the street started teasing Stanley about being flat so Arthur has an idea and he pumps Stanley up with a bicycle pump! Stanley was very excited and happy. His brother was very kind. When Stanley became round again, Stanley's family had a midnight feast of hot chocolate with marshmallows on top and cookies!

If I was flat, I would be a kite like Stanley and pretend to fly. I think Flat Stanley is a great book and I will I had the magic lantern story.

Emily Hannah Lipworth

5.0 out of 5 stars Fond memories of this classic, 12 Dec. 2006
Alison "Kindle Allie" (Derbyshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Flat Stanley (Kindle Edition)
I have such fond memories of enjoying this book with my grandfather many years ago. The story is simple but very imaginative: Stanley gets flattened by a bulletin board and his flatness allows him to go on all kinds of amazing adventures! It's just a lovely story with each short chapter showing a different mini-adventure, the writing is lovely and humorous. This is a real children's classic and definitely one to share and marvel together at Stanley's antics.

Edited on 12 September 2010: I have purchased the Kindle version, I bought it straight away just so I could take a walk back down memory lane! I was pleased to see the lovely illustrations reproduced so clearly in the Kindle e-book version. Recommended for Kindle users.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bluebell Class Flat Stanley Review, 20 May 2011
This review is from: Flat Stanley (Paperback)
Flat Stanley is about a boy, called Stanley, who got squashed by a board whilst he was asleep in his bed. He was squashed flat like a pancake! We liked it when he pretended to be a picture and caught the robbers at the museum. When he was a kite Flat Stanley flew gracefully but later he got stuck in a tree! We think Flat Stanley is a hero because he got his Mum's ring from down the drain. Bluebell Class liked it best when Flat Stanley got put in an envelope and posted to another country.

The only think that would make this book better would be big, colourful pictures.

Year 1 Bluebell Class, Sybourn Primary School, Walthamstow

Flat Stanley
Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown (Paperback - 3 July 2003)