5.0 out of 5 stars still fantastic a second time round

3.0 out of 5 stars Different
Published on 31 May 2007 by Saturnicus

5.0 out of 5 stars still fantastic a second time round, 25 Mar. 2008
Garry R. Walls "joepublic123" (yorkshire england) - See all my reviews
I have just read this story to my 5 year old and he has enjoyed every minute of it.He now wants me to read him the rest of the series, most of which i still have from when i was a child. Although the books may seem a little old fashioned [i dont think many people have a supper time bell any more], this doesnt spoil the story at all and if any questions are asked, then it is a great opportunity to teach them a little social history. I also think its good for children to read what are now classic stories and include the kind of mystery, adventure and interesting characters that children love. There are a lot of great childrens books available and written by more recent authors but i think it would be a shame not to include some of the great authors such as Enid Blyton as they still hold the magic that they did when they were first written.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enid's rare flash of humour, 24 Jan. 2010
C. J. Davies - See all my reviews
I think this is Enid Blyton's only book that displays a sense of humour; I remember laughing at it when I was a child, and have introduced some 9 year-old children to it recently and they too laughed at it. As an avid reader of her books when I was young, I can't remember any others that were humorous.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting adventure, but weak mystery, 15 Aug. 2013
Jim J-R (West Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Mystery of the Hidden House (Paperback)
Enid Blyton's mysteries follow the Five Find-Outers, in this book joined by Ern, the nephew of their nemesis PC Goon. Ern takes a leading role in the story, along with Fatty, to the detriment of the other characters who almost blend into the background and lose their individuality.

It's an interesting adventure packed with action, but as a mystery it's not one of the stronger entries in the series, with the plot seeming to come together by accident rather than any real detective work.

I still love the series, and think its a great introduction for younger readers into the vast array of detective novels available.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 23 April 2013
I'm so pleased they've started putting the Five Findouters on cd. It's not a reading which I expected but a dramatisation and its lovely to have it. Hope they do all the series. I will definitely order from this seller again. Too many CDs arrive with broken cases but this sellers stuff arrives in perfect condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars brill, 29 Nov. 2014
The only thing that spoils this; is the words mother n father has been changed to mummy n daddy. Enid Blyton should be left alone in their original glory. Was great trip down memory lane.

3.0 out of 5 stars Different, 31 May 2007
Saturnicus "Saturnicus" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
In this member of the series, we see the advent of Ern, Mr Goon's nephew. Much of the book centres on Ern and his frightful relationship with the uncle he fears. Fatty and his chums treat Ern shamefully. They do not set a good example at all but eventually feeling guilty - thankfully, and I cannot understand how Ms Blyton went up this avenue. This series never ceases to amaze me as it is so different from her others.

Nevertheless children will enjoy it and hopefully will not be too affected by the unpleasantness. Ern reappears later in the series as a pal to the Find-outers.

It should be impressed on the youngsters that they ought never to get into cars with strangers.

Perhaps I was a bit mean in only giving it 3 stars, but it lacked plot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Mystery of the Hidden House (Paperback)
great

1.0 out of 5 stars It's a Mystery to me..., 28 Sept. 2008
B. Armstrong "Berni" (Barcelona) - See all my reviews
...why Blyton allows her heroes to treat poor Ern so savagely in this book. In other Blyton books I have read, those who get treated horridly by the protagonists have usually displayed the kind of behaviour that leads children to think that they got what they had coming to them. Here, the victim of this psychological bullying is poor Ern, whose only crime seems to be that he is not from the same social class as the other children and he talks with a working class accent. This is the most open example of Blyton's snobbishness I have ever read. Until this book, I had always thought the PC lobby were overreacting to EB; not here. My daughter picked up on it immediately (and the use of "Fatty" as an "unkind" nickname for the hero).

Of course, in the current version, the editors may have toned down these class-based aspects of the book (though I fail to see how they'd manage, since the plot revolves around them entirely. Perhaps they have even renamed Fatty...). The copy I read was a second-hand one published in the sixties which I bought for my daughter (9) who has devoured all of the "Five" series and some of the "Secret 7" books. This was the first of the "Mystery" series we have read and it has not given me much desire to read any of the others.

The Mystery of the Hidden House
The Mystery of the Hidden House by Enid Blyton (Paperback - 3 April 2003)
Used & New from: £0.01