5.0 out of 5 stars Four very funny stories, 31 July 2004
L O'connor (richmond, surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Trouble with.... (Hardcover)
Four of Babette Cole's delightful 'Trouble with' stories are gathered together in this amazingly good value volume. 'The Trouble with Mum' is that she's a witch, and the other parents at the school don't approve of her, especially when they see her unuusal pets, and the pickled husband she keeps in a jar. But then there is a fire at the school and Mum saves the day! 'The Trouble with Dad' is my sons' favourite, as the father in this story somewhat resembles their own. Dad spends all his spare time in the workshop building robots that can do amazing things, and there's going to be a TV show about him. but then the baby gets hold of the robots' remote control and chaos breaks out. My sons can now recite the text of this story by heart, I've read it to them so often. 'The Trouble with Gran' is that she's an alien, and gets all the other OAPS stirred up on a day trip to the horrible seaside resort of Weethorpe. 'The Trouble with Grandad' is that he grows such enormous vegetables that all the other gardeners are jealous, and set out to ruin him with a dangerous tomato plant, but things get complicated when the giant caterpillar appears. All these very funny stories are enhanced by Babette Cole's unique and wonderful illustrations (my favourite is Mum in the 'The Trouble with Dad' contentedly sunbathing and scoffing chocolates, a woman after my own heart). All four of the stories in this volume are funny and memorable, and child should love them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this book!, 5 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Trouble with.... (Hardcover)
I read this book as a child over and over again. It was one of my favorites. I'm currently teaching children English and to help them learn, we read books - and this was a must have on my list! It is funny and the pictures are really good. Read it with my boyfriend before sharing it with the kids and even he loved it!!

The Trouble with....
The Trouble with.... by Babette Cole (Hardcover - 1 Sep 2002)
Used & New from: £3.99