Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 October 2009
It is good to see a selection of people explaining why they do not believe in God. It is even better to read why so many people do not NEED to believe in God.
Well written and diverse, this book explains the reasons behind people's non-belief, their struggles with faith when they had it and how not believing in a deity or having to live by doctrines has freed their minds and allowed them to live life for its own sake rather than for any eternal reward or pat on the back. It is interesting to read how much thought goes into not believing in something; reason and rationality take over from fear and superstition. They explain that finding meaning in their lives comes through personal endeavours; how morality comes from being good for "goodness sake".
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and recommend it to anyone who wants to understand the reasoning behind the philosophy of standing on one's own two feet, facing the music and enjoying the wonders of life, the planet and the Cosmos for what it actually is rather than the nightmare Religion would have us believe.
33 comments|44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 April 2011
All the essays seem to come from the heart. Some are very informative, one example is Michael Shermer's. Others give accounts of 'personal enlightenment' and the life changing experience after shaking off the dogma of religion. As some essays are quite short, they are perfect if you have only a few minutes free. I picked up quite a few new quotes, (cosmic sky-daddy) and learnt quite a bit. It is also very useful to have brief summaries of all the contributors, as this book has.
on 18 November 2009
I've never really thought about God, growing up and being raised in a secular household, with parents who weren't interested in the topic of religion. From a young age religion always seemed odd, I couldn't understand why all the excitment. I was a proud, self claimed Atheist (obviously my parents helped with this word) by the age of 8! The Natural World was a billion times more fun, I could touch, taste, hear, smell and see it! Religion always seemed a bit lacking and absent.

Moving onto the review.....
So, being a Dawkins fan I had to read the God Delusion and this opened up a whole new world of discovery for me and I couldn't get enough books that discussed the topic of Atheism. I'm very proud of my postion in life and wear my Atheist label with complete happiness and even more pride!

I stubbled across this book while searching for other books on the topic of atheism. I would say it's a lovely book with stories covering the topic from many different angles. Some are personal, others are scientific or philsophical. From 50 voices there were only 2 I wasn't fond of and I don't have the book in front of me to tell you who they are.
This I feel falls neatly between the Portable Atheist (Which oddly isn't very portable, it's a huge book) and the newly published Atheist Guide to Christmas (which is jolly good fun to read).
In summary, an enjoyable read with plenty of interest and food for thought....get it today!
on 25 May 2015
The only reason to put together a collection of different writings is if the total is more than the sum of the parts. Randomly putting together 50 pieces (which seems to be the author favourite number given their other books) is not a good recipe for this. And not surprisingly this book fails to achieve that. If you want a great collection of voices of disbelief put together in a masterly way and that conveys the history and the thinking of leading atheists, past and present, you are much, much better off with Hitchens "The Portable Atheist" (which is also half the price!)
on 17 October 2010
i am giving this a top 5 stars, not because the arguments are new and original (they are good, but nothing cutting edge) but because this is the sort of book you can pick up and put down with ease. you don't have to read it straight through, but can read the odd essay here and there. there are some lovely personal touches and stories, and some perfectly clear approaches to unbelief.

it is nice, after reading so much for and against theism, when we can detach ourselves from answers of logical possibility for arguments such as the problem of evil, and see them as real life, emotional issues.

an eclectic mix; varied and well written.

nice.
on 3 October 2010
Interesting and with a few good arguments, but generally the book gives the impresson that it is a compilation of articles written for a vareity of different publications. They do confirm that, universally, we are influenced by the propaganda handed to us by our peers in our early years. The less gullible go off and investigatre whilst the gullible just comply. More pieces, all of shorter length, might have produced a more informative result.