Format: PaperbackChange

After buying several medical statistics books in an effort to try and understand the impenetrable language I finally found one that explained statistics in a clear and straight forward way - and this book was it! Very clear pages outlining what you want to know, how the statistics are calculated and the all important examples to put the tests into context. Don't do what I did and get to this book late - buy this first and then see if you need to get any others!
on 10 December 2007
This book had enough detail to see you through virtually every stats topic that comes up. Everything is explained clearly and is easy to understand...a big improvement on the recommended stats books for my course at least. I'd definitely recommend in to anyone, it has all the info you need, example calculations and applications of different calculations that are fully talked through along with clear, concise definitions and explanations.
on 30 August 2014
If you are used to the layout of the ‘At a Glance’ series from Wiley then this title does differ from that normal layout. Given the topic that is covered in this title of medical statistics, there aren’t the summary pages/boxes with useful diagrams for each of the ‘chapters’ as such for the book.

Apart from this however this title does follow the many advantages of the ‘At a Glance’ series following the concise format of the other titles. It summarises many of the areas that a medical student would be expected to be conversant in for their medical school exams from 1st year all the way to finals. It begins with the very basics, goes through the different study designs, hypothesis testing, interpreting numerical data before covering other topics such as survival analysis and systematic reviews. Perhaps one of the most useful advantages for the medical student preparing for the exam is the definitions given for all the common terms that you are expected to know in medical school exams including those such as ‘ecological fallacy’ that I have found a lot of other titles do not cover but certainly was a favourite of examiners.

As previously mentioned the disadvantage of this text is that it doesn’t really have any colour or diagrams so if you learn better by these methods this book perhaps isn’t the best buy for yourselves.

In conclusion this book is very useful, particularly if you do not find medical statistics the easiest of topics. It is not however the only high calibre medical statistics book on the market for medical students so perhaps get it out of your university library and try it alongside competitors such as Basic Statistics and Epidemiology from Radcliffe. The one thing that does however make this book different is the availability of the workbook which as far as I am aware no competitor has so the choice is all yours, I hope this review has helped!

Competing Interests: Medical Student Reviewer - Received Gratis copy of this Title from the Publisher
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I have to be honest; I used to dread statistics. But let's face it, scientists and medics both require a basic understanding to cope with their research or practice.

This book has proved to be invaluable in helping my understanding of medical statistics. The content starts of with the basics, before moving onto more heavy areas.

There is no more information than is needed here, with the book divided into simple and effective chapters. There are also plenty of diagrams and examples to aid understanding of key topics.

I can thoroughly recommend this textbook to anyone looking to gain an appreciation of medical statistics in a minimal amount of time.
on 8 January 2013
I bought this book to help with a stats exam. Compared to lecture notes and other books I read I found that the explanations within this book were sometimes hard to get to grips with. It would not be my first choice stats book again.
on 19 December 2011
Useful and clearly written book. Not good for slightly complicated studies but for an understanding of stats it is great.
on 9 December 2014
This is an excellent book. I used it for the quantitative statistics module of a Professional Doctorate in Advanced Healthcare Practice and found it invaluable. The accompanying website is extremely useful too. Highly recommended.
on 25 February 2014
Succinct review of key elements, good short manageable sections, does however assume some prior knowledge which can make it difficult to follow some arguments
on 12 August 2009
At last a statistics book that I understood. Recommended to me and was I grateful? Easy to understand and brief but enough to hold your interest and want to explore more. I passed my exam with this book and I would not have been successful without it. Borrowed from the library, but now I am buying my own copy to keep.
on 13 May 2013
I have some background in statistics and I read the book a couple of times to digest it. I think you should have some knowledge in statistics before you embark on reading this book, it can confuse you sometimes. I had to skip a couple of chapters as I thought they were full of jargon.
On the positive side, it mentions most of the things you need to know and the formulas you might need to use one day