5.0 out of 5 stars Essential text for pattern cutters
Published on 5 Oct. 2010 by nitoda

2.0 out of 5 stars could be much more user friendly
A lot of people have rated this book very highly. It may indeed result in a successful fit. However, this assumes you can work your way through the densely packed cramped text with small complex line drawings, with instructions criss crossing through out the book.

Published on 22 Feb. 2013 by Rmusic1

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential text for pattern cutters, 5 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Metric Pattern Cutting for Women's Wear (Hardcover)
Using this book I was able to cut myself a pattern for a pair of stretch denim shorts to fit my shape. This was only my second foray into pattern cutting, the first being by adaptation of a basic pattern, (Betty Foster), but by carefully following instructions I was able to create the paper pattern, and make the garment to fit me. This book contains instructions for creating patterns for just about every conceivable womenswear garment you'd want to make, with the exception of lingerie. It includes instructions for using stretch and jersey fabrics as well as the more traditional woven fabrics. I wouldn't be without this book. I would recommend it to anyone who has experience of dressmaking and pattern adaptation but wants to branch out into creating their own patterns. It isn't so suitable if you don't have any experience as it *is* a technical book and it does look daunting on first opening because of all the detail inside. I'm currently doing some courses in simple pattern cutting and my tutor uses this book, though she does suggest trying blocks from different books as they do vary and it's important to find a block that suits your own figure if you're using it for personal garment construction. I intend to use this book over and over and over again. Your local public library or college library will probably have copies if you want to borrow before you buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, 29 May 2009
J. Pawsey "j" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Metric Pattern Cutting for Women's Wear (Hardcover)
The first section of this book deals with drawing and cutting pattern blocks, that's like the basics of pattern design. Then it shows you how to adapt those blocks to end up with different shapes and effects. There are more types of sleeves, collars, frills, etc than I thought possible!
It is hard work, as learning anything this complicated and 3D from a book will always be difficult. I've spent a long time scratching my head, and also referring to sewing encyclopaedias. But I'm really really pleased to be able to design things that actually fit me! It's the one time it's really good to be a non-standard shape - you know it's going to be worth the time and effort to design things specially.

2.0 out of 5 stars could be much more user friendly, 22 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Metric Pattern Cutting for Women's Wear (Hardcover)

I'm new to pattern drafting and my dressmaking tutor told my class to buy this book. I had hoped, as we were all novices to pattern drafting, this would hold us by the hand. For someone experienced in pattern drafting I am sure they will be much more confident in reading through the instructions. I was left increasingly frustrated, after having to flick backwards and forwards to find out what "standard" measurements to use (hang on, isn't drafting your own pattern supposed to be based purely on your measurements?) and then having to figure out where I was for the next step.

I'm very much a visual learner, and would not recommend this book for people who don't do well with long sections of concise technical text. I've been dressmaking for three years, so am certainly used to pattern pieces in general, so I wouldn't blame general lack of dressmaking to be the cause of my difficulties with this book.

I've looked at how pattern drafting explained by other sources and felt many were more beginner friendly. By all means, this book covers a lot, but I would steer clear of it as a beginner unless you have someone to help you go through it in detail. Unfortunately my tutor hasn't really helped translate it very well for me! my friend (who also bought the book) has despaired after drafting two bodice blocks and cutting out a muslin, to discover it didn't fit her bust. Only at this point, half way through the book did she find out (not mentioned earlier) that if you have a fuller bust you need to make additional modifications when drafting the pattern. This kind of lack of clarity is very off putting, and could have been much better explained/laid out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but not for beginers, 2 Feb. 2009
Maggie (Dorridge, Solihull) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Metric Pattern Cutting for Women's Wear (Hardcover)
I originally bought this book in 1982 and have used it loads.
I'm not an average size and shape so got fed up of trying to alter comercial patters to fit. It takes a bit of patience, trial and error, lots of paper and material to make mock ups, to eventually understand exactly how to construct patterns for real people. The book in essence is still aimed at comercial designers. An additional chapter on how to adjust the basic blocks for individuals would be useful. I have a small back in comparison to my front and I am deep as oppsed to wide. I draw lines down my side and take measurements seperately for back and front and use those to draft the front and back seperately as opposed to using the full bust, waist and hip measurements as in the book. I bought this new edition for my daughter and will be borrowing it back as it has some very useful additional chapters to my original.
You do need some experience of garment construction to use this book as there are no instructions on how to make up the garment, or else you need someone who is familiar with pattern drafting and construction as a "phone a friend".
You will be amazed how much better you look in clothes that are made specifically to fit you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for beginners, 27 April 2009
This review is from: Metric Pattern Cutting for Women's Wear (Hardcover)
An essential for beginner pattern cutters, used as a text book. Basic instructions to adapt the blocks, great to gain confidence, at which point you might want to move on to a more "wordy" writer like Natalie Bray. Patterns aren't necessarily the prettiest rf the most up to date, but the information is there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for all pattern makers!, 20 July 2010
This review is from: Metric Pattern Cutting for Women's Wear (Hardcover)
This book is very useful for those that no nothing about pattern making and for those that are more advanced but want to create a set of tailored blocks. The book is well written, easy to understand and gives detailed breakdown of size guides used on the high street opposed to high fashion. It is an especially great book for learning how to tailor a pattern to specific requirements and has lots of pictures which is great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what is says, 22 July 2011
This review is from: Metric Pattern Cutting for Women's Wear (Hardcover)
This is a nice simple book that delivers what it promises: patterns. You will find the basic blocks, and at least for me, all the classical patterns for women's wear.
As a downside, it lacks extended instructions, so in the case of some patterns I didn't know beforehand (ex. cowl skirt) I had to reread the text / relook at the image 4-5 times to figure it out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!!!!, 2 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Metric Pattern Cutting for Women's Wear (Hardcover)
The is best book out there to help you along with creating blocks and patterns! I've used this in Uni! And know some of the best people who have started of using this! Experienced or not! You either already have it... Or you don't and need it!

Perfect for those who are going to study fashion design, or anything else along those studies!

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, 23 April 2013
This review is from: Metric Pattern Cutting for Women's Wear (Hardcover)
I'm a fashion student at degree level and found it hard to get to grips with patterncutting in general, at first i hated this bok but as my knowledge grew in pattercutting i found it easier to understand how and why i was doing things from this book. Wouldnt suggest for a beginner at home though as it is very technical and not explanatory to a beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars metric pattern cutting, 18 Jun. 2009
R. M. Wallum - See all my reviews
This review is from: Metric Pattern Cutting for Women's Wear (Hardcover)
I bought this book and it has opened up a new world.I had a design in mind and it was in this book!I needed to to a waistband for a pair of jeans and the outline was there.I have done a pattern cutting course so this does help.

Metric Pattern Cutting for Women's Wear
Metric Pattern Cutting for Women's Wear by Winifred Aldrich (Hardcover - 29 Feb. 2008)
Used & New from: £36.19