5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal reference for GP vets and new graduates
I am a UK based vet with 23 years experience. During that time I have read many books on different veterinary topics. As such, I rarely see a new approach in veterinary books. This book is an entirely new approach and fills a valuable need within the profession in the UK.
Published on 12 April 2011 by krbvet

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor
Sadly this book never lived up to expectations. I was really expecting so much more. Seems i must already know too much! Good book for someone who is new to owning pets.
Published on 18 July 2011 by T. Hatchman

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal reference for GP vets and new graduates, 12 April 2011
This review is from: 100 Top Consultations in Small Animal General Practice (Paperback)
Most vet textbooks and textbook chapters are written by specialists seeing second opinion (i.e. 'difficult' cases) which require a completely different approach to first opinion cases. Following their advice to perform a 'minimum database' which often includes full blood work-up, radiographs and all manner of other tests, would lead to huge bills that the average first opinion client cannot afford.
This book is different and is written in a common-sense and practical way. The information is accessable and concise. The 'When to refer', 'Low cost options' and 'What if it does not get better sections' are particularly useful.
I employ a lot of new graduates and plan to give a copy of this book to each of them, along with our 'practice manual'.
This is a great book full of practical tips and I am sure it will help many new graduates bridge the gap between their theoretical knowledge and the very practical aspects of their first job. Older hands might also pick up some tips too.

This format might also translate into a large animal and an equine text - I look forward to those too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Vet students and new graduates should BUY THIS BOOK!, 13 Jun 2012
As a final year veterinary student, I bought this book as an aid for revising for my final exams and in order to help me through those first few years in practice. The book is well laid out, containing all the information required to give you a thorough overview of each topic covered. As mentioned in other reviews, the sections e.g. 'Low cost options' and 'When to refer' are extremely useful to help the reader navigate around the information provided. The addition of photos of clinical cases and diagnostic images are also extremely useful for recognising typical clinical presentations. This book has been invaluable in clinics at vet school and I will definitely be keeping it within easy reach for my first few weeks of practicing as a qualified vet.
I would strongly recommend this book to all veterinary students, especially those in their clinical years, and also to newly graduated vets.

5.0 out of 5 stars What you need to know in the real world., 18 April 2012
A concise and extremely useful book for the small animal vet working in first opinion practice. I have been qualified for nearly 30 years and have a car full of veterinary books but this is one of the best laid out and most helpful. Nothing like a bit of 'colour coding' to clarify things. 'What if it doesn't get better? The low-cost option. When should I refer?' these are the things you need to know in 'the real world'. Thank you to the authors and publisher.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very able sign/symptom based reference for small animal consultation., 1 Jun 2011
Jack Chakotay "Ender Brazil" (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As a person with a medical background, I thought it would be interesting to review a reference book pertaining to veterinary medicine, especially since human medical references such as this book abound especially for the postgraduate exams. I also thought it would be interesting if there were drug references and which drugs could be used in both humans and small animal practice.

I was quite impressed by the clear layout and consistency in their approach. Aside from the introductory chapter which is obviously meant to return to the basics of history taking and examination, the remaining chapters have the following layout:

Clinical problem:
Pathophysiology where applicable and differential diagnosis
Diagnostic approaches
Treatment
Approaches to non-response of management/compliactions
Low cost options
Referrals to second opinion/specialist centers.

A formulary is included where required ie drug indications. It is interesting to note common medicines are identical to human ones with dosing per kg being the main area of difference.

This is obviously not meant to be an in depth reference but more an office companion. in covering "100 top consultations" the overwhelming focus is on dog and cat problems. The dedicated sections to rabbit, hamster guinea pig and tortoise in the non-dog/cat section tries to cover plenty of ground, but this feels like a final round up "to complete the picture".

There are plenty of photographic plates (illustrating the problem) and tables. Sections in chapters are highlighted by colours.

I used to have a similar book in my undergraduate days for my medical exams and would cover a few chapters in the evening. At least one occupies my shelf in the office. I think this would ably perform a similar function for my veterinary counterpart for small animal practice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you need to get through finals, 10 Feb 2012
Logical approaches to dealing with nearly everything you'll be faced with in first opinion practice. Great for revision for exams and it will never be far away from me in my first few years as a vet.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most helpful small animal internal book a vet student will own!, 29 Dec 2011
This book is exactly what we need! I'm currently using it to study for my internal medicine final and it's so helpful to have it as an overview before using my lecture notes for the in-depth stuff. I would most definitely recommend this book for all vet students and have recommended it to all of my friends.

Wiley Blackwell, can you please publish a 100 top consultations in equine practice and in farm animal practice please?! I'll be the first to buy them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 Jun 2014
makes my veterinary school training much easier!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for a new graduates, 30 Mar 2014
The perfect choice for a new graduate who is looking for a quick help for almost any situation. Is like having a senior clinician who you can ask something quick about a case!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 23 Dec 2013
My daughter found this book invaluable to gain her degree in veterinary science and still uses it now in the working practice

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for VN's or VS's, 10 Dec 2013
I brought this as a student veterinary nurse so I could have a book including all the typical diseases/illnesses and problems presented in practice. It is suitable to read for veterinary nurses, even though I believe it is more likely aimed at vets.
Gives symptoms, treatment, cheap options, referrals and care advise

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

100 Top Consultations in Small Animal General Practice
100 Top Consultations in Small Animal General Practice by Geoff Shawcross (Paperback - 18 Mar 2011)