4.0 out of 5 stars A good textbook

3.0 out of 5 stars A study
Published 10 months ago by Wyrm

4.0 out of 5 stars A good textbook, 2 Dec 2002
B. Tovey (Oxford, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is a good selection of texts, accessibly presented with introductions to each text, footnotes for difficult passages and a glossary. Not so much a book for straight reading as for learning the essentials of reading Middle English literature from early texts such as "Ancrene Wisse" to later ones by Chaucer and other writers. My only complaint is that the glossary is a bit arbitrary - it seems that if the editors consider a word in a text is similar to a Modern English word, they don't include it in the glossary, even if they do include a word with the same spelling but a different meaning - this can cause difficulties in translating and understanding some sections of the texts. On the whole though, a good buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars A study, 24 Jun 2013
This review is from: A Book of Middle English (Paperback)
In brief, this is a book that you cannot dip in and out of. It is very wordy and demands full attention, so it's really a study rather than something to read quickly or for fun. All the information is there and I'm not phased by it but I did think it'd be a little different. It could be a little more accessible for my liking but I'll stick with it. Also, if you're like me and just starting to learn middle English, then buy a middle English dictionary to accompany this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars My opinion of the book, 21 Oct 2010
W. D. Priestley (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Book of Middle English (Paperback)
This more of a text book than one to read for pleasure. It does give a good history of changes in the language from early to late, and explains how the grammer of the language simplified to where we are today. I bought it for amusement, having read progressively older and older books, and having got to Chaucer, I thought it would be interesting to get a book on "how to read" even older material. It serves this purpose very well. I haven't got as far as reading the middle English prose and poetry in this book. They range from early to late.

I was born and bred in Australia 65 years ago, and allowing for 'colonial lag', I remember hearing older people speak words for which this book gives translations into modern English. Like 'aks' (pronounced 'axe') for 'ask'; 'five and twenty'. and similar variations, for 'twentyfive' etc. The oldest person I can recall chatting to was born in 1870. I was 10 at the time.

I thus find it easy to read late middle English.

If you are interested in the history of the English language, and are interested in how it evolved (is evolving?) this is a good book to get.

Bill

3.0 out of 5 stars Studied text, 14 Mar 2003
C. Lamin (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I studied this text as the core for my module on middle english language as part of my degree, although turville-petre offers some good information about dialect and other linguistic aspects in his introduction, some of the selections of excerpts from texts are quite week and I felt it would have been better had he chosen more dynamic sections which exmplify the pieces rather than just the opening lines, especially with pieces such as Sir Gawain and The Green Knight

ARRAY(0xa4d728a0)

A Book of Middle English
A Book of Middle English by Thorlac Turville-Petre (Paperback - 16 Sep 2004)
21.24