5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent, lucid, and utterly fascinating, 22 Jan. 2011
Didier (Ghent, Belgium) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The English Novel: An Introduction (Paperback)
Twentyfive years ago as I'm writing this I finished university with a degree in English literature, and ever since I have kept on reading mostly English novels. But, strangely enough perhaps, I rarely, if ever, bothered to read books about those books. But then suddenly I somehow felt compelled to remedy this and ordered both this book and Patrick Parrinder's Nation and Novel: The English Novel from its Origins to the Present Day (which I'm reading now but haven't finished yet).

Not to waste anymore of your time: Eagleton's 'The English Novel, an introduction' is an absolutely fascinating book, which should give anyone even remotely interested in the subject matter hours of reading bliss. In its 337 pages are crammed so many insights and knowledge that I'm still a bit dazzled and most likely will read it a second time soon. True enough, the language and terminology are at times erudite and learned but it isn't as if you need a PhD. to be able to follow Eagleton's discourse, average intelligence and knowledge (like me, for instance) works just fine.

One minor quip perhaps: in fact the book's title 'The English Novel, an introduction' is a little bit misleading because, after a first introductory chapter ('What is a novel?', in which Eagleton does a lot more than attempt to define the subject of the other chapters), Eagleton concentrates on the major novelists, devoting chapters to:
- Daniel Defoe and Jonathan Swift
- Joseph Conrad
- D.H. Lawrence
- James Joyce
- Virgina Woolf

In all of these chapters Eagleton concentrates not so much on individual works but rather the entire 'output' of each author, outlining how in some cases they elaborated a single theme in different ways throughout their career, and in other cases how they evolved from one point of view to another. There's a short postscript too ('After the Wake') but in other words: no Thackeray, no Trollope, not to mention scores of other authors such as Elizabeth Gaskell, R.L. Stevenson, James Hogg, Smollett, Le Fanu, Maturin, and so on and so on... But as Eagleton himself clearly says in his preface his selection 'should not be taken to imply that only those English novelists presented between these covers are worth reading'.

All in all I found this a very very interesting book, giving me on the one hand lots of new insights into books I've already read, and on the other hand giving me a real appetite to read books I haven't come around to yet (such as Charles Dickes which I have, sadly, largely neglected until now). I rarely give 5 stars, but in this instance did not hesitate half a second. It's a regular feast from cover to cover!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 7 Oct. 2014
excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars service and book as a form and content, 9 Feb. 2010
This review is from: The English Novel: An Introduction (Paperback)
I would just like to say "THANK YOU" for your service.I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart!

The English Novel: An Introduction
The English Novel: An Introduction by Terry Eagleton (Paperback - 23 July 2004)