5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring
This is a simply wonderful book. It is humbling, uplifting, funny and deeply moving, and it contains a message of great, yet quiet power. Gill writes with honesty, humour and courage - and what she says could change the world, if we only hear it.

Published on 4 April 2007 by Rachel North

3.0 out of 5 stars Great first half, loses its drive in the second
A friend lent this to me saying how inspirational it was. I began reading it a few days ago and found myself pulled into the events and the writer's excellent description of what it was like. She set the scene: absorbed by her busy career, a row with her live-in partner the night before, running late...I liked her honesty. Then a vivid description of what it was like...
Published on 26 April 2012 by amazon shopper

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 4 April 2007
This review is from: One Unknown: A powerful account of survival and one woman's inspirational journey to a new life (Hardcover)

Unrecognisable on arrival in hospital, having lost 80% of her blood, and both legs from the knee down, plucked from the devastated carnage of carriage one, where 26 innocents died and hundreds were injured by a teenage suicide bomber on 7/7, Gill Hicks was 'One Unknown', a broken body - a stranger - barely human. Her fight to reclaim 'Gill' and come back into herself is told with great grace, and her decision to dedicate herself to peace in 'Life Two' has a resonance that will stir your soul like great music.

Gill, thank you for this witness to the power of our human spirit. And your words are a tribute to the instinctive care and compassion shown on 7 July, by strangers, to strangers. The actions of so many who hurried to help are laid in the balance against the actions of the terrorists. And the message is: love is stronger than hate, always.

This is not a 'misery memoir'. This is a shining story of hope, and love, and courage.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly inspirational book from a very courageous lady., 14 Jun 2007
I have just finished this book - I read it in one day - I never put it down until I had finished it - I couldn't do so. I have never read a book which has moved me so much and I read it through tears. When I read the part where Gill was in the dark with her horrific injuries I felt as if I was actually there with her and living through it with her. Gill, you are a truly wonderful person and I cannot even try and understand what you endured but I am so glad you wrote this book and shared it with us.

All the very best for the future if you are reading this, Gill. If I could have given this book 10 stars even that wouldn't have been enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book, 29 Jan 2009
I love this book - I have found it massively inspiring, especially the way that Gill's attitude to life has been transformed by her experience. She reminds us of what is really important in life, and how we should appreciate the smallest things in our lives, and not take anything for granted. She reminds us that life is precious, and that it's imperative for us all to live positively, and make positive contributions to the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book of inner beauty, 22 April 2007
Sonia Zakaria (U.K) - See all my reviews
As I was flicking through the channels on TV,Gill Hicks was interviewd about her book,she was so beautiful,not the movie star kind of beauty,but an inner,spiritual,peaceful beauty.Her book is amazing,so genuine,so moving and inspirational.For someone who in a minute lost so much,amidst the help she got to recover there was no Counselling,PTSD work..etc,she just got through it drawing on her inner strength,the Grace of God,and all the love that she brought about in people around her.Another example of how in the face of adversity,we humans collectively unite,and one man's pain becomes everyone's pain.This book will touch everyone's heart and help us put everyday matters into perspective. Just as Jill's life will never be the same after 7/11,our lives will never be the same after reading her book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing story of courage and forgiveness., 10 April 2014
What a truly inspiring story of Gill Hicks, the survivor of the London bombings. She lost both her legs below the knees. It's a must read. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

5.0 out of 5 stars Survival from a horrific example of Islamic extremism, 15 Oct 2013
Gill is an incredibly outstanding woman and this book portrays her ability to overcome a dreadful near death experience in the 7 July 2005 London underground train bomb. Despite losing both her legs, Gill shows her genuine humanitarian side in trying to understand the mindset of the bombers and move forward in an extremely positive manner.

It beggars belief that young men could be so brainwashed by a few senior extremist members of their own culture to generate such a horrific level of hate. That this teaching leads to murder and mutilate a random number of unknown ordinary folk just travelling to work, apparently in the name of the bomber's specific religion, seems to fly in the face of all logic relating to their God.

This book should be read by those who are still prepared to carry out such dreadful acts of terrorism. Perhaps it might help them think through the most horrible consequences to their random group of innocent intended victims and the lifetime aftermath to associated families.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 27 Feb 2013
I enjoyed this book so much even though reading it was quite traumatic at times.
If I felt like that, imagine what those caught up in this dreadful terrorist attack must have felt like.
It was very moving to hear Gill talk so openly about her life, the attack and her rehabilitation. She is an inspirational lady who has a lovely family.
It was touching to hear she had been reunited with all those involved in her rescue that awful day.
I am so pleased I bought this book and would recommend it as a very good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational., 4 Nov 2011
An amazing story, what an inspirational story, just how she goes about her normal day and how her life changed forever but her courage truly wonderous.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Unknown., 12 Jan 2010
Some very interesting facts, medical. An excellent book. Took you right down into the tubes where the bomb had been set off. An inspiring woman, Gill Hicks.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Unknown, 14 Oct 2009
J. N. Allinson (UK) - See all my reviews
A totally absorbing, moving and uplifting book. The ultimate 'count your blessings' message from a wonderful and unquestionably heroic woman.

Used & New from: 0.01