5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring
This is a simply wonderful book. It is humbling, uplifting, funny and deeply moving, and it contains a message of great, yet quiet power. Gill writes with honesty, humour and courage - and what she says could change the world, if we only hear it.

Published on 4 April 2007 by Rachel North

3.0 out of 5 stars Great first half, loses its drive in the second
Published on 26 April 2012 by amazon shopper

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 4 April 2007
This review is from: One Unknown: A powerful account of survival and one woman's inspirational journey to a new life (Hardcover)

Unrecognisable on arrival in hospital, having lost 80% of her blood, and both legs from the knee down, plucked from the devastated carnage of carriage one, where 26 innocents died and hundreds were injured by a teenage suicide bomber on 7/7, Gill Hicks was 'One Unknown', a broken body - a stranger - barely human. Her fight to reclaim 'Gill' and come back into herself is told with great grace, and her decision to dedicate herself to peace in 'Life Two' has a resonance that will stir your soul like great music.

Gill, thank you for this witness to the power of our human spirit. And your words are a tribute to the instinctive care and compassion shown on 7 July, by strangers, to strangers. The actions of so many who hurried to help are laid in the balance against the actions of the terrorists. And the message is: love is stronger than hate, always.

This is not a 'misery memoir'. This is a shining story of hope, and love, and courage.

Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly inspirational book from a very courageous lady., 14 Jun. 2007
I have just finished this book - I read it in one day - I never put it down until I had finished it - I couldn't do so. I have never read a book which has moved me so much and I read it through tears. When I read the part where Gill was in the dark with her horrific injuries I felt as if I was actually there with her and living through it with her. Gill, you are a truly wonderful person and I cannot even try and understand what you endured but I am so glad you wrote this book and shared it with us.

All the very best for the future if you are reading this, Gill. If I could have given this book 10 stars even that wouldn't have been enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Survival from a horrific example of Islamic extremism, 15 Oct. 2013
Gill is an incredibly outstanding woman and this book portrays her ability to overcome a dreadful near death experience in the 7 July 2005 London underground train bomb. Despite losing both her legs, Gill shows her genuine humanitarian side in trying to understand the mindset of the bombers and move forward in an extremely positive manner.

It beggars belief that young men could be so brainwashed by a few senior extremist members of their own culture to generate such a horrific level of hate. That this teaching leads to murder and mutilate a random number of unknown ordinary folk just travelling to work, apparently in the name of the bomber's specific religion, seems to fly in the face of all logic relating to their God.

This book should be read by those who are still prepared to carry out such dreadful acts of terrorism. Perhaps it might help them think through the most horrible consequences to their random group of innocent intended victims and the lifetime aftermath to associated families.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book, 29 Jan. 2009
I love this book - I have found it massively inspiring, especially the way that Gill's attitude to life has been transformed by her experience. She reminds us of what is really important in life, and how we should appreciate the smallest things in our lives, and not take anything for granted. She reminds us that life is precious, and that it's imperative for us all to live positively, and make positive contributions to the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book of inner beauty, 22 April 2007
Sonia Zakaria (U.K) - See all my reviews
As I was flicking through the channels on TV,Gill Hicks was interviewd about her book,she was so beautiful,not the movie star kind of beauty,but an inner,spiritual,peaceful beauty.Her book is amazing,so genuine,so moving and inspirational.For someone who in a minute lost so much,amidst the help she got to recover there was no Counselling,PTSD work..etc,she just got through it drawing on her inner strength,the Grace of God,and all the love that she brought about in people around her.Another example of how in the face of adversity,we humans collectively unite,and one man's pain becomes everyone's pain.This book will touch everyone's heart and help us put everyday matters into perspective. Just as Jill's life will never be the same after 7/11,our lives will never be the same after reading her book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book, 27 Feb. 2013
I enjoyed this book so much even though reading it was quite traumatic at times.
If I felt like that, imagine what those caught up in this dreadful terrorist attack must have felt like.
It was very moving to hear Gill talk so openly about her life, the attack and her rehabilitation. She is an inspirational lady who has a lovely family.
It was touching to hear she had been reunited with all those involved in her rescue that awful day.
I am so pleased I bought this book and would recommend it as a very good read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great first half, loses its drive in the second, 26 April 2012
A friend lent this to me saying how inspirational it was. I began reading it a few days ago and found myself pulled into the events and the writer's excellent description of what it was like. She set the scene: absorbed by her busy career, a row with her live-in partner the night before, running late...I liked her honesty. Then a vivid description of what it was like when the bomb exploded, of facing death, one inner voice pulling her towards death, the other urging her to live...instinct taking over, her rescue, and good descriptions of her excellent hospital care. As another reviewer said - these factors were instrumental to her survival.

I have not quite finished the book and this is because I was gritting my teeth, struggling to read on, desperate to get it read and returned to the lender. I decided to see what other Amazon readers thought and if they were experiencing the same problems, but I am not surprised to find nearly overwhelmingly uncritical praise. I am grateful for the one "critical" review, whose comments I agree with. I looked on Goodreads and thankfully, at least one reviewer's experience mirrors my own. That is - the first half of the book is quite strong and absorbing. The second half is somewhat weak, over-emotional and sugary. I disliked her referring to herself in the third person, no matter how innocently done, as it gives an impression of egotism. She is the centre, and others dance attendance around her and they all love her and she them, unconditionally and forever, be they ambulance service staff, taxi drivers or strangers, and it is all wonderful, and this goes on for pages and pages and pages.

I understand why she should feel so glad and grateful to be alive, so full of love herself but as a book, it became all too much and lost its drive and indeed, inspiration.

It is a shame, as the first half is excellent. I wish her well, but as a book - a little too much sugar for my taste. Sorry!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiration and Courage Without Bounds!, 24 Aug. 2007
Somebody recommended that I read this book and they weren't wrong. I read the whole book with a huge lump in my throat and tears in my eyes. Gill's story is one of tremendous courage and determination. Her vivid language and complete honesty with the reader leaves us in no doubt as to what her and her family and friends experienced in the days, weeks and months after. She is truly an amazing woman, both courageous and inspriational. I can only wish her and her family the very best for the future - she deserves it more than anyone else I know. An amazing book by an amazing woman!

5.0 out of 5 stars incredible, amazing book, 30 July 2008
S. Adams (U.K.) - See all my reviews
I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone. If one person's story can reach out to others and touch them deeply enough to change their lives, this is such a book.

5.0 out of 5 stars One Unknown., 12 Jan. 2010
Some very interesting facts, medical. An excellent book. Took you right down into the tubes where the bomb had been set off. An inspiring woman, Gill Hicks.

Used & New from: £0.01