5.0 out of 5 stars As good as the rest
What nonsense from the previous reviewer (IMHO) - repetition is how young children learn.
The book neatly manages to cover colours, days of the week and animals as part of the overall wizard/princess story. My son is almost 2 and loved it. I thought it was a bit longer than the other Donaldson books, but he still sat through the whole thing quite happily.
I...
Published on 7 Oct 2007 by ronaldobiscottini

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok
Not as great as some other stories in her collection but for the price I paid, it was just ok.
Illustrations are nice and slightly glittery in places.
Ok as a bedtime reader.
Published 10 days ago by lovebug_rita

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as the rest, 7 Oct 2007
I think everyone has their own personal Donaldson favourites (Room on the broom!), but this is still very good - 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely sparkly girly book to read aloud!, 19 July 2007
Mrs. L. Matthews (staffs, england) - See all my reviews
We borrowed this from the library and ended up buying it. My daughter (aged 3/4) adores it and the story is enjoyable for the parent to read too. There are beautiful glittery illustrations on each page which my daughter kept reaching out to touch. Completely magical book!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED IT!, 9 Dec 2007
Lana (Honolulu, Hawaii) - See all my reviews
My daughter is two and a half and loves princesses. I am grateful for books like this that offer an alternative to the Disney princesses. The story is wonderful and keeps your attention at every page. I absolutely love that it incorporates teaching days of the week and colors. It is beautifully illustrated full of glitter and fun for both of us to read!

4.0 out of 5 stars princess, 22 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Princess and the Wizard (Paperback)
Bought this for my 3 year old little girl & she loves it the book is beautifuly illsutrated with glitter on each page & is realy gud quality especialy for the price!it is about a princess who is captured by a wicked wizard at her birthday party & made to work for him in his castle unless she can escape with 7 chances she is given by her fairy godmother! It teaches colours, numbers & animals, i have since bought more julia donaldson books

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy to read, 18 Sep 2010
This review is from: The Princess and the Wizard (Paperback)
My 3 year old daughter is into everything pink and princess so i bought this book thinking it would be lovely to look at but maybe the story wouldn't match. I was wrong. I love reading this to my daughter. It's a wonderful story that rolls with interest and had a lovely ending. The added extra being the wondering illustrations and glitter! Anything Julia Donaldson writes is a winner in my eyes now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful story and wonderful illustrations, 23 Mar 2010
N. B. Newman (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Princess and the Wizard (Paperback)
We've read this over and over to my daughters aged 6 and 3. It's a unique story and the illustrations are bright, vivid and glittery - what more could little girls ask for?

5.0 out of 5 stars The Princess and the Wizard, 19 Mar 2009
The Princess and the Wizard
This book is very enjoyable in the Donaldson tradition of strong storylines, plenty of reader participation in the use of colour and ordering and a strong role model for all potential princesses! Great fun for reader and listener.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a whole different style, 24 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Princess and the Wizard (Paperback)
I have to warn you, if you are looking for one of Julia Donaldson's normal works, her witty rhyming stories with the poetic touch, this is not the book for you. It is a very girly book, with lots of sparkly glitter and lots of pink. That is actually very appealing to little girls. However, It doesn't rhyme. If you are willing to keep an open mind and don't mind a very different style of writing compared to the other Julia Donaldson books, then go ahead and buy this book.
I have a pair of twins, a boy and a girl. My boy was curious about all the glitter, but the pink colour scheme and overall girliness didn't attract him. But my girl loved it! She liked the story and the illustrations and of course all the glitter. I personally like this book too. I think it's different, a good different. The story is about a princess who was kidnapped by a wizard on her birthday (after her fairy god mother managed to give her ten chances to escape from the wizard by changing her shape and size). She changes into different animals - a blue fish, a yellow chick, a green grasshopper, an orange fox among others in her attempts to escape. This is what I like about the story. It teaches colours and different animals.
So I would recommend buying it. I agree, Julia Donaldson's rhyming stories are really witty and beautifully written, but sometimes it's fun reading a book by her that is still beautifully written but from a whole different angle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Julia classic!, 1 Jun 2010
U. bruton "Drutten" (Trowbridge, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Princess and the Wizard (Paperback)
You can never go wrong with Julia Donaldson! This book is no doubt another classic. Lovely story involving colours and weekdays aswell as the princess and the wizard. The glitter on evey page adds a princessy touch and makes it more fun for my very young daughter. My son is 5 but equally enjoys the story. Recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful books for children., 13 April 2014
This review is from: The Princess and the Wizard (Paperback)
Excellent story books for children. Even pre school children can pget involved with the pictures. My grandaughter loves the books so I have sent some books over to my grandson, who is just 14 months, to USA.

ARRAY(0xa20e8a5c)

The Princess and the Wizard
The Princess and the Wizard by Julia Donaldson (Paperback - 7 Sep 2007)
3.85