VINE VOICEon 3 March 2008
This book has a fun cover with its "parcel" look, and this postal theme is the underlying concept of the story. Sunny is a meerkat in large group whose motto is Stay safe, Stay together. But it's hot and dry in the Kalahari desert and the familiy is so close-knit that he longs for a bit of space so he sets off with his suitcase to visit relatives. At each place he sends a postcard home - there's a flap postcard on every double page spread. But after a week away, each night in a different place, he's ready to go back home and appreciate the finer things in a meerkat's life: the hot dry desert and the close-knit famil he was so keen to get away from originally.
This is a lovely story, with its emphasis on the value of family/community, and it is brilliantly put-together. The charcoal and sandy watercolour illustrations are lovely and infused with light humour throughout. My children like anything that's a bit different and, as well as the postcards, they love the many additional touches, like newspaper clippings, the stamps on the postcards, and so on. Even before the story begins we have to look at the pictures in a photo album and newspaper clipping that precedes that title page, and then at the end we also pore over the final photo album page, cross-referencing the photos of relatives .
This is a wonderful book, my three (3,5,&7) all love it. It's suitable from about age 2, and one you'll find coming out at bedtime again and again right through to age 7 or 8. Get a copy posted to you right away.
0Comment43 of 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 February 2008
This is a wonderful book. The tender story of Sunny the Meerkat's journey is coupled with the fantastic detail of Emily Gravett's art work. I teach Year 5 (age 9 to 10) and my class love it. The ants and the nibbled pages, the stamps on the postcards and the mongoose facts, the Jackal and the detailing on the cover makes it irresistible. I can't wait to read more from this author.
0Comment46 of 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 May 2011
My Year 3 class thoroughly loved this book, and this is what they had to say about it:

Sunny, a cute, fuzzy (possibly teen) meerkat decides that his current home is a bit boring, so he decides to go to various places in this epic, humorous child's delight.

Emily Gravett has done the-best-in-the-whole-of-human-history job on this ground breaking, belly laughing, laugh-your-head-off book.

You will find that when you read this book, most of the details, words and pop-ups will leave you lost for words!
11 comment8 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 June 2009
Meerkat Mail by Emily Gravett

This book is excellent for KS1 children. I am using it for a Yr1 group and can easily get enough out of it to keep the children occupied for at least two weeks. The book includes postcards which Sunny, the main Meerkat character, sends back to his family from each of the places he visits. There are some lovely facts about animals and locations that are interlaced with the story. Can't wait to get started on it!
My oldest child (8) still occasionally likes to look at picture books, but there is little to bridge the gap between young childrens picture books and graphic novels. Then I found this. I bought it for her when we were going on an aeroplane and needed to keep her amused and she had a lovely time.

The story is that young Meerkat is tired of his noisy, busy family and their house, so he decides to spread his wings and do a bit of travelling around. As he moves from place to place he sends his family postcards, before realising that home, with the people who love him, is always going to be the best. Someone has commented in a review that this book is unoriginal. I would say that it is a traditional story, and there's nothing wrong with that. The postcard element has been done by the Ahlbergs with The Jolly Postman, and the travel story is probably not new either, but that doesn't mean that it's rubbish. On the contrary, it is a great spin on a tale that children will find comforting because they know the pattern to come.

It's nicely written with very high production qualities. The story is fun and the meerkats are naturally appealing to children, and indeed most adults truth be told. The pictures are detailed enough to leave room for lots of discussion with the child around the main story. The postcards Meerkat sends detach from the book and are really lovely and have all the authentic details like stamps, postmarks etc.

The story is quite long for a picture book, which is why my daughter enjoyed it, and all the extra twiddles means it lasts quite a while in holding their interest and provoking play. I made sure that along with the book I provided a book of blank postcards and some pens so that my daughter could make cards of her own travels. A really good holiday book.

Having mentioned that I gave it to my eight year old, the story is also suitable for younger children, although you naturally have to watch that the postcards stay put.
22 comments16 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 July 2009
This tells the story of a meercat ( called Sunny ) who leaves home. He goes everywhere and sends his family postcards. It gets worse and worse for him. He decides to go home.

I thought this book was brill! Lovely how Emily Gravett drew the pictures. I would give it ten out of ten!
Katie S. Year 3.
on 7 August 2009
Fantastic book, great pictures and a really lovely tale. Great gift for any age. I have a seven and a two year old, both really enjoy this book.
on 8 July 2009
Creatively made book. Keeps young readers busy by lifting flips and flops:) Just, my son is too small for this sort of book so I am keeping it in the cupboard for future use.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 20 February 2015
I didn't manage to read everything aloud on every page, my son wanted to see what was happening next so he missed some of the story and jokes. He's 4, and I would say that a little older, school-aged children would get more out of this as its quite long on detail (for a picture book) with postcards to read out loud as well as the shorter story.

It's a simple tale of a meerkat looking for a place to live that's not so HOT and so FULL of other animals, where he can feel at home. He sends postcards home to his family each time he moves on, and we see lots of species and habitats in Emily Gravett's usual exquisite style of illustration.

It's a great story and a good moral lesson (there's no place like home). I really liked the postcards and I know my son will get ore from it in a year or two.

Fantastic idea with interactive elements, could be used in KS1 when considering postcards and forms of writing, as well as natural history.
on 14 April 2008
Emily Gravett has produced yet another interesting, funny and orignal picture book. Its lovely to see a book with such unusual design and gorgeous characters. This is the sort of book that you can read time and time again because each page is packed full of interesting words and pics. Charming and refreshing.