4.0 out of 5 stars A good book but at times boring, 21 April 2008
Mr B Horton (Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bicycling Magazine's Illustrated Guide to Bicycle Maintenance (Paperback)
I like this book. It covers most aspects of bicycle maintenance. The troubleshooting sections were helpful. I liked the full page colour photographs of bikes in action. I think it would have been better to have used colour photographs to accompany the step by step instructions. There is a lot of text in this book, which at times I found dull and boring. I prefer The Bike Book which is a British book published by Haynes whereas this book is American.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bicycling Magazine's Illustrated Guide to Maintenance, 7 May 2013
Mr. R. Evans (Dorset UK) - See all my reviews
Gone are the days of adjusting the old three speed and forgetting it. Most bikes need a few tweaks now and then and these books make it a lot easier.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful guide, 30 Mar 2011
Jh Kim Lee "Ironman" (Amsterdam, NL) - See all my reviews
Excellent book about bike maintenance, all procedures and tools are well described and each is illustrated with excellent pictures which always helps.

As a regular daily cyclist bike maintenance is a basics issue but with this book tackling more complex maintenance tasks aren't as daunting as before so trips to the bike shop are not so needed.
Warning: Not for anyone "allergic" to getting their hands dirty!

4.0 out of 5 stars Illustrated Bicycle Maintenance, 11 Dec 2010
Having changed my road bike, bought in 1975, for a new mountain bike, I couldn't help but notice that my tattered copy of Richards Bicycle Book was somewhat out of date. The Illustrated Bicycle Book seemed to be an ideal replacement.
Very comprehensive starting with the history of the bicycle and covering all types of bikes and their required maintenance. Even modern road bikes are quite different in some areas to earlier models so an updated book was overdue for me. I imagined this book was of American origin, but as I had bought an American bike, a Giant Rainier, it should be ok. The spelling is UK english not US english (eg tyre not tire) so I could be wrong.
The first task I wanted to do was bleed the hydraulic disc brakes. Disappointingly, however, this was not covered in any detail and the author refers you to the manufacturers manual (which did not exist at the time) claiming there are a number of different types and they couldn't all be shown. I eventually managed to get the technical sheets from Giant and was able to complete the job.
Since then most maintenance work I've done is in the book and apart from the initial disappointment, I have found the book to be very useful in bringing me up to date, and I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 May 2014