4.0 out of 5 stars The darker side of Dickens...
Published on 1 Feb 2006

1.0 out of 5 stars Very condensed version of Our Mutual Friends
Be warned - this is a very condensed version of Our Mutual Friends.
only 102 pages long. It is for people learning English.
The blurb doesn't make that very clear - but, my mistake I guess - should have 'leafed' through the book before buying.
Just thought I'd share this news in case anyone else think they're buying the full version.
Published 2 months ago by Ruby's girl

4.0 out of 5 stars The darker side of Dickens..., 1 Feb 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Our Mutual Friend: Upper (Macmillan Reader) (Macmillan Readers) (Paperback)
This is a tough read and I don't recommend it to those new to Dickens, to those who prefer the genial comedy of "Pickwick", or to those without a general literary stamina. The plot creaks badly even by Dickens' wobbly standards and his portrayal of the heroine Lizzie Hexham is another of his two-dimensional Victorian angels stretching back in an unbroken line to Luaghable Little Nell. The language is brooding and muscular, the caricatures of the minor characters grim and leering and the landscape of London dirty, broken and nightmareish.
However, the novel is worth persevering with, not just to be completist, but to experience an unaccustomed taste of Dickens cynicism and anger. Underpinning both plot and sub-plot is a sustained and bitter rant against "Society" - the Mutual Friend of the title - its casual hypocrises and destructive conventions. As in "Little Dorrit" the achievement of great wealth and concommitant assumption of a position in Society results in a loss of richness of spirit. Only the characters that painfully learn to reject Society experience fulfillment as human beings.
No coincidence, then, that Dickens own position in Society was under threat as he was writing (due to his leaving his wife and conducting an unacknowledged affair with an actress). Presumably his own fear of being found out and rejected by the very Society he was satirising, gave such a bitter edge to Dickens prose.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very condensed version of Our Mutual Friends, 16 May 2014
Be warned - this is a very condensed version of Our Mutual Friends.
only 102 pages long. It is for people learning English.

Our Mutual Friend: Upper (Macmillan Reader) (Macmillan Readers)
Our Mutual Friend: Upper (Macmillan Reader) (Macmillan Readers) by Margaret Tarner (Paperback - 27 April 2005)
5.90