Published on 10 Nov 2006 by Keith_Joseph

3.0 out of 5 stars An Enjoyable Opener To The Series
Published on 27 Dec 2010 by Simon Savidge Reads

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascimile of the first William book printed in 1922 - a children's classic, 10 Nov 2006
Keith_Joseph (West Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Just William (Hardcover)
This hardcover book is a facsimile of the first ever 'William' book. The books 5.5" x 6.5" x 1", and well bound, but not with the little pretty cotton coloured binding, just glue & paper. All the original illustrations are present. Text size is large - I don't need glasses to read the stories to my son (9). I won't bore you with reviews of these first William stories, any child of the sixties like me will be familiar with these. I suppose the stories aren't dissimilar to beginning of Mark Twain's 'Tom Sawyer'. They share the witty humour of cheeky boys pushing at adults set boundaries, although, fortunately for him, William never has to face the likes of 'Indian Joe' in the English shires. William stories aren't 'coming of age' either (girls are for dipping pigtails into inkwells). His charm is that he steadfastly refuses to grow up, and he is always a typical roguish but lovable preteen boy knocking about with his outlaw mates.

This first book collected together the short stories a very young Richmal wrote for `Home Magazine' and were aimed more at adults than later books (e.g. the first story in Just William, `William at the pictures' was actually the fourth one published - `Rice Mould' being the first). `Rice Mould' doesn't appear until the second book `More William' though, also published in 1922. William moved with the times though, and his stories were written up to the 1970's, and many will remember the Armada paperback books from the 1960's that mixed stories together. At the time of her death in 1969 Richmal had written 39 William books and sold over 8 million copies.

I suppose the language of these early William books isn't a very easy read for younger preteens with words like 'epicurean', 'apoplectic' and 'discoursing', but I guess I just ignored these tough words when I read the books as a boy (most of the words aren't that difficult). For younger children its probably best to read to them, particularly as you also have accents as well (e.g. "Ad your tea ?" and "Well, why shan't I jus' speak to her"). Being produced way back in 1922, the book is also a little dated compared to later William books, and these first stories are populated with servants and Victorian aunts. Mind you an original first edition of this book costs serious money. The cover picture (not a loose cover) of William in his school cap is from the 1940s, although I looked pretty much the same as a 1st year secondary schoolboy in 1967 - my black crested school cap was a little more formal and restrained though. As a young boy I never had any problem identifying with William and his middle class family background, probably as it was similar to mine. So overall a good value `first edition facsimile' of the classic 'Just William' book - this edition also used to be available as part of a set of the first four classic William books: Just William, More William, William Again, and William the Fourth, but that four book set is sadly hard to find at the moment (try ebay).

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic fun reading that is the best time machine experience possible, 14 Dec 2013
Takes me back to my childhood days when Just William was the source of my fun. I used to, and still do, admire the all immersing nature of Richmal Crompton's writing. She obviously has her own fondness for the character she created, giving him opportunities to create inadvertent mayhem that are simply wonderful to be part of. Loud chuckles accompany the reader as you find William achieving the impossible, against all odds and plunging into abject disaster at the drop of a hat. GREAT FUN!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just William - Enjoyable Across Generations, 24 April 2012
I first read this book (and several others in the series) back in the 1950s. At the time I found it entertaining and amusing. I have now bought the kindle version to read both for myself, but also aloud to younger children. Like Winnie the Pooh it has a charm which stretches across the generations, though I expect that some of the vocabulary will need explanation to some of the younger listeners. I still find the humour amusing as an adult, though the settings are somewhat dated (I remember thinking this even in the 1950s!). Nevertheless, this is an excellent children's book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas gift, 27 Jan 2014
This review is from: Just William (Hardcover)
Bought this as a Christmas gift for my 70+ husband who received 'William' books from his Grandma for his birthdays and loved them . He read this one straight away and really enjoyed the happy memories it brought back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just William, 4 May 2014
I couldn't resist this, having read all the William stories many years ago. I suppose they're a bit dated but the characters are vivid and very amusing.

5.0 out of 5 stars UNFAIR, 23 Feb 2014
This review is from: Just William (Hardcover)
bit of a ratings con. bought for my 10 year old grandson. and have graded it on 60 years ago when i was 8

3.0 out of 5 stars An Enjoyable Opener To The Series, 27 Dec 2010
Simon Savidge Reads "Simon" (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Just William (Hardcover)
`Just William', though I am sure most people have read it already, is a collection of tales about William Brown a rather scruffy and outdoorsy eleven year old who very much lives in the world of make believe of Indians and pirates and who sees every day as an adventure, much to the annoyance of his family and the local people he lives near by. That is except for the other local boys with whom he causes all sorts of mischief in their troupe `The Outlaws'. This first book sees William in all sorts of japes such as trying to avoid being a page boy, falling for the same woman as his brother - well she does love playing Indians after all, taking over a sweet shop and babysitting all with rather comic and naughty outcomes.

Reading them as an adult I did chuckle quite a few times, I would have loved to have been left a `Ye Olde Sweet Shop' at my disposal at eleven and would quite possibly have ended up in the same situation too, yet what I found the most interesting thing about it was that reading it now it feels like a really insightful insight into society at the time of the 1920's. For example the father of the family seems to come home from work in a rather bad mood every day, find the children rather a trivial burden and then disappear of to the study and Mum seems to spend most of the day in a frantic whirl despite the fact she has a maid and a cook. It's slightly stereotyped and yet you can't help feeling this was possibly the way things simply were at the time in that kind of society. Sorry I have gone all historical and digressed!

I have to admit that I was left wondering if kids nowadays will quite get it. There's no magic, no ending up lost on a treasure island or monsters to deal with but that was what charmed me in a way. Maybe with the new show coming a new wave of fans will find William Brown, let's hope so because he is quite the character. I was let down a little by the fact there was no Violet Elizabeth Bott in this collection and I noticed it, I also enjoyed the book a little bit more for the history than the stories but I will continue with them.

5.0 out of 5 stars absouloutley hilarious!, 11 Oct 2013
A. Campbell - See all my reviews
This review is from: Just William (Hardcover)
I think it was such an enjoyable read so funny and even though its funny it keeps you turning the pages!
William is a naughty little boy and I loved getting to know all his tricks and mischievous ways!!! Great for any little boy or girl at the age of 9 and up!!!! Buy it! you will not regret! Eve Cameron aged 13!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Brilliant, 1 Mar 2013
A wonderfully entertaining e-book - I love the stlye of Richmal Crompton. Having read some of these stories many years ago I spent a happy few hours revisiting a bygone age - William is of course timeless and his exploits and explanations hilarious. The illustrations are beautifully evocative.

5.0 out of 5 stars JustvWilliam, 6 Feb 2013
These stories still make you laugh out loud . William and all the rest of the gang are wonderful. This book is wasted on children.

Just William
Just William by Richmal Crompton (Hardcover - 3 Feb 2006)