Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 November 2004
I loved the Gruffalo, but have to disagree with those who felt that the sequel was somehow lacking in magic. The Gruffalo's child is truly wonderful, with a great story, lovely use of language and absolutely incredible illustrations. I actually preferred it to the original in some ways, particularly because I felt that 'bold' children (of whom I know several!) would identify with the child in this book - seeking adventure and finding a little more than she bargained for! For those who haven't read it yet - the Gruffalo's child has grown up with stories of the Big Bad Mouse, and sneaks off to see if he really exists.
11 comment|102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 25 April 2007
Not quite as good as the original gruffalo, but still an excellent childrens book that my son absolutely adores.

It will not make much sense if you have not read the gruffalo, so make sure you read that first before this book.

Al the same characters are there from the original book, and this is quite funny too. The illustrations are marvellous and there are some very funny drawings, like the mouses snowman that will also entertain small children.
on 26 October 2004
This book and its predecessor, "The Gruffalo" caused quite a stir at our playgroup! Given a choice of two books at storytime, one being "The Gruffalos child" the mums all cried "The Gruffalo one"!!!
The illustrations are wonderful, with the attention to detail just as clever as the original story, which makes up for the fact, its sadly not quite as brilliant as "The Gruffalo". But nevertheless, its an all time classic in our house, loved by the children and grownups alike! How many other parents must there be who can recite the whole story by heart? Bedtime isnt bedtime without the gruffalo and that cunning big bad mouse!!
Well, of course if you and your children loved the Gruffalo, you are going to buy this. With the same striking illustrations as the first story, and told in the same rhyming style that makes it possible for my almost three year old to join in the telling, the Gruffalo's child is another hit in our house.
All your old friends from the first book are here, the fox, owl, snake, mouse and Gruffalo (who sleeps through the whole thing!). However, there is the addition of a young girl Gruffalo who goes off on an adventure in search of the "big bad mouse" she has heard stories about. My daughter loves this "baby gruffalo".
The smartest character in the story is, of course, the mouse who may be the smallest character in the "deep dark wood" but is certainly not lacking in brain power. His way of dealing with the curious young Gruffalo has led to some fun games with shadows in our house.
This is a great story to read aloud. My two girls are 1 and nearly 3 and they both love it. It is a very good children's book, and nearly as good as the original Gruffalo story, which is saying something as sequels so often disappoint. We would probably give this four and a half stars if we could. It is very good, but not quite as good as good as Gruffalo 1.
on 9 September 2004
I couldn't wait to snap this up when I saw that there was a new title in the Gruffalo series. The first book ("The Gruffalo") is a true classic and I think I enjoy reading it to my daughter just as much as she enjoys listening to it and joining in. The style of the Gruffalo's Child is similar and the same characters appear (snake, owl, fox and mouse). The tale of the big bad mouse has become a Gruffalo legend so the Gruffalo's child decides to go go looking for him in the deep dark wood.
Written in the same rhyming style and with the same fantastic illustrations, this book is sure to delight adults and children. Maybe not quite as cool as the first book but still worth every penny of the asking price.
Buy it - you won't regret it (and the kids might like it too!)
on 11 October 2004
A lovely return of the big bad mouse who has to show even more cunning to outwit the curious Gruffalo's Child.
Worth the wait, can Julia Donaldson do no wrong? Well not in our house she can't! Great illustration too, a top birthday/ christmas present - NO HOME SHOULD BE WITHOUT IT!
on 4 November 2004
My daughter and I were eagerly awaiting this book -the sequel to the quite brilliant Gruffalo. The Gruffalo has been our favourite bedtime story for years and our copy is now decidedly dog-eared! I must admit that I am a little disappointed with The Gruffalo's Child -it seems to lack the originality and humour of its predecessor (much the same as in follow-up films). My daughter enjoyed the story very much and couldn't wait to turn the pages as I was reading it to her. All in all it's worth buying, but don't expect another classic!!
on 7 January 2006
My 2 year old boy sat and let me read him this book (usually he only likes the pictures and wont listen to the words, but he delighted in this one) and was able to tell the story back to me in his own little words. That was a first for us. Good book.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 17 January 2016
Overview -
A rhyming story about the Gruffalo telling his son the tale of the 'monster' mouse in the woods.

Early Years Teachers - This book proved to be an invaluable resource on my teaching placements. As with this well respected and loved children's author, Julia Donaldson, this is a great book with a good story line. It is so versatile and can be enjoyed by many ages. It is really easy to engage with as there are so many possible themes in the story which can be explored to a suitable depth dependent on the children's ages.

Themes: animals, camouflage, telling stories.

Activity ideas:
- Children could arrange a set of cards containing the grufflo’s story into a sequence.
- Children could write the order In which the animals saw the gruffalo using 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc.
- Children could make masks to do a role play of the story.
- Children could create a wanted poster for the mouse.
- Children could look at the rhyming words in the story and write them down.
- Children could look at the use of speech marks and create some sentences of their own.
- Children could make a recipe sheet telling someone how to make gruffalo pie.
- Children could look at the animals in the story and how they are all camouflaged and why they are camouflaged.
- Children could create a family tree for the gruffalo’s child.
- Children could draw a map of the gruffalos cave, the woods, the mouse’s house and the different animal tracks In the snow.
- Children could draw a picture of the big bad mouse using the gruffalos description.
on 25 July 2011
Very Pleased we purchased this! The 'follow on' story from the Gruffalo. It puts a great spin on the first story, both my daughter (aged 3yrs)& I were nicely suprised to find that it's ACTUALLY the Mouse, who is the tricky 'dark' character & not the Gruffalo. Wow! (I was perhaps MORE overwhelmed than my daughter, after finding this out lol!).

This story, if imaginatively used, also assists with some areas of practical care! I will mention to my daugher, when she refuses to have her toenails clipped, that she COULD develop Gruffalo-toes & nails, which gets her to promptly sit nicely (Wicked, I know!!).

Brilliantly written & illustrated. Definitely worth getting ALL the Donaldson & Schieffer series, after all She's not the Children's Laureate for nothing!!

'Double High -Five' as my daughter would say!