5.0 out of 5 stars Gruffalo and other songs by Julia Donaldson

Published on 18 Feb 2005

5.0 out of 5 stars Gruffalo and other songs by Julia Donaldson, 18 Feb 2008
Kirsty E. Shanahan (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gruffalo Song and Other Songs (Audio CD)
My son was bought this for Christmas and I barely looked at it before putting it on in the car. I thought it was excellent - I was a little surprised that the singing was characterful rather than technically excellent, but when I realised they were sung by the author herself, I didn't mind, and in fact the delivery just adds to the fun. The lyrics are brilliant (no forced rhymes!) and the melodies are catchy and easy to learn. My two year old loves it, and it keeps the baby quiet too! Definitely a good buy for children who love music and grown-ups who are maybe a tiny bit bored with nursery rhymes!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good fun songs from a great children's author, 16 Mar 2005
ELH Browning "Esther-Lou" (Kingston Bagpuize, Oxon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The Gruffalo is such a classic that anything trying to build on its reputation has a hard task to impress. However, as long as you buy this book knowing what it is - an accompaniment to a good fun children's song CD - and what it isn't - a new Julia Donaldson picture book - then you shouldn't be disappointed. I didn't know that J.D. also wrote songs until I saw this in the book shop and I'm glad I now do. The songs in this book are fun, and especially that lead song of the gruffalo. My children (2&4) have taken immediately to this musical version of the Gruffalo's description and, as it's catchy, have spent several days lumbering round the house singing it. There's a nice mix of nine songs including, for example, one encouraging the listener to pull a funny face; another to keep on the go; a monkey puzzle song, a version of the Hare and the Tortoise and a the whole of a Squash and a Squeeze set to music. In no time at all you'll be singing along.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it, 16 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Gruffalo Song and Other Songs (Audio CD)
bought as an extra present for my daughter, thought it would be the gruffalo story with songs but it isnt, but it is still a fantastic album with brilliant songs keeps my daughter happy whilst were driving and gets me singing funny songs through the day as they get stuck in my head!

5.0 out of 5 stars Grufallo cd, 22 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Gruffalo Song and Other Songs (Audio CD)
After ordering the gruffalo CD I didn't have to wait long for it to arrive. It arrived in perfect condition. The children have enjoyed learning the songs from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gruffalo!, 7 July 2010
This review is from: The Gruffalo Song and Other Songs (Audio CD)
This is a CD that my little boys love in the car. If you know Julia Donaldson books well you will enjoy it. My children also liked the funny face song too after a few listens! Just be warned you will be humming the Gruffalo theme in your sleep...!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent entertainment and learning for 3+ yrs. **CD only**, 13 Jun 2010
Stevie (Livingston, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gruffalo Song and Other Songs (Audio CD)
The word "AudioBook" in the title confused us a little, as we thought it was the CD/book combined, and one or two of the reviews mention "book" also. But this is just the CD. Anyway...can Julia Donaldson sing? Er...No! Can she play guitar? In a basic fashion. Can she write stories and songs that children love? Absolutely. And that's the main thing. Children don't care about the technical quality, it's all about the fun content. My 3-y-o plays this over and over, loves to sing along and dance to it. Some of the stories and songs also provide good opportunities for extra learning and parents to join in, like "Funny Face" and "Great Big Trolley". This is an excellent CD for 3+ yrs to progress from nursery rhymes.

5.0 out of 5 stars We love the Gruffalo!, 5 July 2007
This review is from: The Gruffalo Song and Other Songs (Audio CD)
I bought the CD and book after a live performance and my kids absolutely love it!
In my opinion there is a great range of songs, from action songs like Pull a funny face to the Calypso based Squash and a Squeeze.
The CD has been played over and over on many a long car journey, and even my 1.5 year old sings along in his own way!
I would recommend this to any Gruffalo or Julia Donaldson fan as a must for their collection.

3.0 out of 5 stars Comical, 18 Feb 2005
By A Customer
A nice book but more of a gimic from the Gruffalo people. I am a huge fan of the Donaldson/Scheffler books and as a teaching assistant and early years worker I use them frequently and the children adore them. But the songs are somewhat unimpressive and as the story script is sung to a tune, the songs are lengthy and consist of many verses. Something which I think young children, who are fans of the books will find difficult to get their tongues around. If children were to learn these songs, I'd aim it for 7+ year olds, but as background music, it's fun for all. A nice book to add to your Donaldson/Scheffler collection.

1.0 out of 5 stars AWFUL voice, such a pity, 13 Sep 2009
S. Miller (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gruffalo Song and Other Songs (Audio CD)
I rarely review books on here but I am so cross about this purchase that I felt compelled to break with tradition!I bought this CD along with the Room on the Broom CD and was really disappointed. The songs are actually great and my 3 year old daughter (unfortunately) loves them, but I can't bear listening to Julia Donaldson crackle and squawk her way through them. It's actually painful. There isn't a single song that she sings in key, and it's such a shame as we love Imelda Staunton's version of Snail and the Whale. I am amazed that they didn't edit it or get her some vocal lessons. Why Julia Donaldson insisted on singing them herself I have no idea, she should definitely stick to writing.
My husband says it makes his ears bleed and I'm inclined to agree, if you want to get this for your kids to listen with headphones then I'd recommend it, if not - don't do it to yourselves! I felt thoroughly conned by, these CD's are not cheap.

5.0 out of 5 stars So alive and refreshing, 4 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Gruffalo Song and Other Songs (Audio CD)
I feel rather compelled to defend the utterly talented Julia Donaldson and tell the critics to stop being so miserably narrow minded. JD's songs are a breath of fresh air, funny and just brilliant and her style is unique. Even if her voice isn't 'technically perfect', it's so much more interesting than the usual canned, run of the mill singing voices on other children's CD's. Her voice is so wonderfully refreshing and characterful and perfect for these songs, after all she created them. Besides, children don't see or judge things in the same way that adults do. She sings a song about the hare and the tortoise, I mean that takes some skill to pull off a song about such an ancient, world renowned fable, but after listening to it, you realise just how wonderful she is with words, almost to the point where the song could have come first! (just like the tortoise) So clever!
If you'd like your children to be musically and lyrically inspired, then this CD is a must.
'Pull a Funny Face' is regularly sung and hummed in our house by our 3 year old and our 47 year old!

The Gruffalo Song and Other Songs
The Gruffalo Song and Other Songs by Julia Donaldson (Audio CD - 7 Jan 2005)
5.40