Format: Hardcover|Change

on 1 April 2008
Came across this book by chance in the bookshop. My 6 year old girl took to it straight away. She loves the illustrations, the fact that you can look at all the characters at the front of the book, spotting the friendly ghosts and the story of course. We had read half the book before we got home and are already waiting for Ottoline and the Yellowcat from the library. Its an interesting book, nice and quirky, and I highly recommend it.
on 16 December 2009
This book is beautifully illustrated throughout, making it a book into which children can really immerse themselves. The pen and ink drawings using cross hatching are amazing. The layout delivers text in small paragraphs, with some pages consisting of, perhaps, one double page spread of illustration, a handwritten letter, a comic style graphic layout and then a chunk of text using most of the page. There are stickers in a little folder inside the back cover.

Ottoline's parents travel away frequently and she is left at home with a hairy blob looking creature known as Mr Munroe. In this sequel Ottoline meets her friend, who is a great story teller and has a scary experience in a haunted school. This is a hard backed book which would make a lovely gift for a 7 - 10 year old.
on 13 January 2010
This is a superb follow up to Ottoline and the Yellow Cat, and builds upon the excellent story that was created in the first book. Whilst this is the second in the series it can still be read out of sequence.
What really brings the Ottoline books to life are Chris Riddells amazing illustrations, and his wonderful, sometimes slightly surreal, imagination. Its also the small touches such as the ghosts hidden throughout the book that really help to engage children.
Both my girls (8 and 4) loved Ottoline and the Yellow Cat and waited with barely suppressed impatience for the sequel, Ottoline Goes to School. Ottoline and Mr Munroe meet Cecily Forbes Lawrence and her pony Mumbles in the local park and decide to join Cecily at school to see what all the fuss is about.

As ever, glorious illustrations, fun dialogue and lots going on mean this is a thoroughly entertaining read. The girls begged for more of the story every night and now want to know when the next one will come out.

Great for adults too.
on 17 February 2008
We really, really, really loved this book. It is our favourite book at the moment. The pictures are very clever and are beautifully drawn. The story is excellent. We hope the next Ottoline book is printed very soon.
on 1 February 2013
Some books have a 5 star review but are boring. My mum saw this book which was really really good and deserves all 5 stars. It was funny and scary at the same time. The characters are fascinating and quirky. The pictures are good and you can even colour them in. I was 8 when I read this. I am 9 now and loving Ottoline goes to Sea, which I got for Christmas.
on 9 February 2015
Imaginative & beautifully illustrated. Made my young reader feel very proud to be reading "such a grown-up book". It's not really. The vocabulary is perfect for helping them into "free reading" stage. Love Chris Riddell's illustrations
on 28 November 2010
I bought this book for my sister's children while they were visiting, along with the other two Ottoline books. They are all delightful, but I think this one is my favourite because of the ingenious plot. It is extremely funny, and the elaborate illustrations are full of details for children to pick out. At the end of the book there is a puzzle game of seeing which hidden details you noticed, which adds to the fun, as well as a set of stickers. Both children - Freddy, seven and Hannah, five - loved it, and my sister and I also devoured the books in an hour or two. I have a happy memory of little Hannah waving the book around, banging on it, and chanting "Lottoline, Lottoline [sic], goes to school!" Highly recommended.
on 3 September 2009
A lovely, lovely book. Just the right size. A book with lots of pages, but not too much writing - perfect. Lots and lots of really, really good pictures too that help to tell the story.
on 30 January 2011
My 6 year old daughter came home from the library with this and read it in one afternoon. She wants me to buy this and the others in the series for her 7th birthday in a few weeks. I shall because this is the first book she has ever read for herself for pleasure. THANK YOU Mr Riddell.
The illustrations are beautiful and break up the text into an easily readable format for young readers. I read it later on and was just as enthralled as she was.

This would make a lovely gift for any little girl, either to read with a grown up or, later on, on their own.