4.0 out of 5 stars A marvellous book with a few drawbacks
My 4 year old son has loved this book since he was 2. The poetry is zany ("there's a lizard in a blizard and it's fun to be outside, but bedtime's creeping closer, who will you ask for a ride?"), the illustrations are interesting and detailed. There are lots of flaps to lift, tabs to pull and twist and such interactive devices are always a hit with children.

I...
Published on 29 Nov 2007 by Dr. H. Payne

2.0 out of 5 stars Not great
Not as good as the tickle book by the same author and certainly not worth the rrp or even half. Not as many pop ups as flaps even though its a pop up book and not many pages - doesnt live up to the tickle book though and wouldnt really recommend as there are better detailed and longer books out there with flaps and pop ups
Published 3 months ago by Gpatel

4.0 out of 5 stars A marvellous book with a few drawbacks, 29 Nov 2007
Dr. H. Payne - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bedtime Bear: A Pop-up Book for Bedtime (Flexibound)

I would sound a couple of notes of caution though. The pulling tabs aren't especially strong and a few on our book broke within a couple of months, despite my son being as careful as possible with them.

Also, this book is aimed at bedtime which we try to make a quiet and settling time. The last pages of this book contain a crunchy crocodile looking for toes to bite, a bear looking for a grrrrreat big squeeze and the "ticklemetoo" monkey. All these elements beg hysteria-inducing rough and tumble rather than sleepy settling. I challenge any parent to find a calming way to read the bit about the "ticklemetoo" monkey!

Overall a lovely book, but a touch too fragile and boisterous for bedtime.

5.0 out of 5 stars crazy but brilliant, 26 Jun 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Bedtime Bear: A Pop-up Book for Bedtime (Flexibound)
my son, who is just over one year old, adores this book and likes to read it every night. the craziness of the storyline combined with lots of clever flaps and moving parts allows him to participate and holds his interest. it also scores high on visual detail so there are lots of things i can ask him to look for and point at. best ever book i've seen yet.

4.0 out of 5 stars fun for any time, 20 Feb 2008
This review is from: Bedtime Bear: A Pop-up Book for Bedtime (Flexibound)
I agree with other reviewers about the lack of durability, We have had it only a few days and the tabs have had some heavy wear and tear already, despite me being on hand to show our enthusiastic 2 year old how to do them "carefully!!". The story is a bit random until you get into it a few times but the illustrations are so busy and lively that there is lots to talk about on every page. The tabs are great fun, and it is definately proving a big favourite already.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bedtime Bear, 8 Feb 2005
This review is from: Bedtime Bear: A Pop-up Book for Bedtime (Flexibound)
A firm favourite for my little girl who just turned two. She is not quite old enough to operate it herself as you have to careful about torn flaps, but she loves it nevertheless and requests it most nights. Its delightful and colorful and elicits a lot of interaction. I would definately recommend it for 2yr olds.

5.0 out of 5 stars inspirating children an grown-ups, 22 April 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Bedtime Bear (Hardcover)
My little son loves this book since he's one and a half years old. It's not at all realistic, but the tiny adventures the bear has to pass until he can go to bed are funny, the atmosphere helps the child to calm down, the pictures and pop-up-events are of a great interest for him. Now as he is three-and-a-half, he still likes to describe what he sees, every day he discovers a new detail, and he starts reading the book (though he already knows it by heart). I can recommend it to all parents and children, though it is not obvious what can be learnt of.

5.0 out of 5 stars my baby's favourite book from 9 months old, 30 May 2008
J. Bell "chief librarian" (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bedtime Bear: A Pop-up Book for Bedtime (Flexibound)
I introduced my daughter to this book a month ago when she was 9 months old, and it is by far her favourite book. She crawls over to it and lobs other books out of the way to get to it, and then happily sits turning the pages and opening and closing the flaps, she can't get enough of it no matter what time of day it is, although we also read it every night before bed as well. We've had to buy a second copy as I know she's going to tear something soon, but to date it has withstood her vigorous opening/closing/page turning! I would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Endless happy bedtimes, 24 Nov 2005
This review is from: Bedtime Bear: A Pop-up Book for Bedtime (Flexibound)
I have a 2 year old son and he loves this book. I love it too, it's one of my favourites to read to him. There's a lot of participation involved and loads of excellent rhymes! It's a bedtime hit, with it being read generally more than once a night!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 15 July 2010
Justine Allen (FRANKLIN, MA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bedtime Bear: A Pop-up Book for Bedtime (Flexibound)
My little boy, who's coming up 3, was bought this book about a year ago and he insists on having it read to him every night after his other story. It's a lovely book and he loves opening each of the flaps up although it is getting a bit battered now! It's a great book to end the day on.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book but not very durable, 19 Jan 2008
Stephanie Smith "stephsmith4" (Hants, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bedtime Bear: A Pop-up Book for Bedtime (Flexibound)
This is very popular in our household (two 3-year-olds and a 2-year-old), but unfortunately the pull-out tabs are not made to withstand enthusiastic toddlers for long! We're now investing in a replacement, which I try to avoid doing as I want the girls to learn to look after their books, but this is natural wear and tear rather than malicious damage. They also like Tickle Book and Christmas Bear by the same authors, but this one is the best - they particularly like the revolting dishes offered in the restaurant!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book but not very sturdy., 10 Oct 2012
This review is from: Bedtime Bear: A Pop-up Book for Bedtime (Flexibound)
My son absolutely loves this book, and the copy and illustrations are a lot of fun, but the materials used to print it on i.e. the cover thickness, the strength of the flaps etc. was not as thick and sturdy as expected. I own quite of bit of similar books, but this one is the only one, who's flaps don't stay closed after folding them back. Overall it is still a nice book and well-worth the price, but I would have rather paid a little more and had a book I could have kept around longer.

Bedtime Bear: A Pop-up Book for Bedtime
Bedtime Bear: A Pop-up Book for Bedtime by Ian Whybrow (Flexibound - 1 Oct 2004)