on 5 September 2005
This book was amazing. It left me speechless. I was hardly able to put the book down. I guarantee your feet will be itching and you will want to get out there and see and do the same things that the Bear and his crew did. I felt like I had had been a part of his journey, at times imagining what they must have gone through and the sheer determination that they all showed put a lump in my throat.
An excellent book, I would recommend it to anyone.
on 24 June 2004
One of the best books l have ever read and inspired me to book Bear to tell his story at our last Sales Conference....needless to say he was as good as his book and l felt very humbled to be sat there listening to his story.
This book is the story of Bear Grylls' attempt to cross the arctic Atlantic ocean in an open inflatable beat. Bear leads a team of five on this challenge, and he tells the story of how the trip was organised and how close it came to disaster.

I've read Bear's tale of climbing Everest (Facing Up) which is, to be honest, the better book. Facing the Frozen Ocean was an enjoyable holiday read but it didn't grip me in the same way that the Everest adventure did. Partly, I suspect that's because Bear himself loses the impetus to continue these adventures part-way through the trip; there is one appalling leg of the journey where death was very, very close. An angry Atlantic is no place to be in an open boat -- running out of fuel and left helpless in 20-foot swells. Bear questions why he is involved in this kind of escapade when he could be at home with his young family... and that sense of disengagement is obvious to the reader.

However, you also learn all about prepping for an expedition like this, and get a vivid description of what it was like. Bear's writing (or editor!) improves in this book so the text flows more easily than in Facing Up.

Overall, it's a fast-paced adventure tale -- just not one to rank among the classics.
on 7 August 2011
I wanted to read this book after watching Bear on his survival series on tv and the reviews written on Amazon. What Bear and his friends went through is truly inspirational but he really made me mad and angry when he was told to wait for a break in the weather twice but continued and nearly got them all killed, even a cruise liner had to turn back because of the seas. He comes across as if he has a right to go right on the edge of death taking his friends with him, I don't know if this is to do with his Army training and being in the special forces and pushing yourself as far as you can go and beyond. I think the boat design wasn't thought through as not having a place to sleep and dry off and to get out of the relentless weather/seas/storms was a big mistake, sleeping in a 'sardine can' sounded like a punishment to me, crazy.
on 9 August 2014
I like Bear Grylls, I really do. He's a clean cut roll model for teenage boys and an entertaining adventurers for all of us. Although the book tries to describe their physical hardships, which it does to some degree, it does not deal with the most interesting aspects of adventure i.e. the true dynamics between the group. At the end he says there was never a cross word between them. That is difficult to believe. In times of stress, and they went through severe stress, tensions erupt, and how they are dealt with or not dealt with is where the interest is for me. His faith is important to him and it's fine to mention that, but he lays it on far to thickly. If you like the guy as I do, read the book, but don't expect to come away knowing anything more about the real Bear Grylls or his friends.
on 4 December 2014
Not as good as previous books by bear grylls , found it a bit slow of the mark.Overall fair....
on 31 December 2013
This book was amazing from start to finish well worth a read for any Bear Fans out there. Took me 3 days to complete while on Holiday could not put it down. Amazing to think what this man has been through and what he has achieved in his life.

Brilliant Book. 5 Stars. Quick delivery and well packaged also.
on 25 March 2013
I love reading Bear's books, he has a knack of making you feel you are out there with him and I like his easy style of writing. This is a great adventure story and on par with Facing Up which I re-read regularly. I do feel sorry for Mrs Bear though!
on 16 December 2012
I felt this book was a little long winded in getting this trip put together which is why I only gave it 3stars, how ever when it did kick off the story is fantastic and real, leaving me feeling wet and cold it immerses you into the story that well
on 19 August 2011
I couldn't put this book down, what a fantastic read ! My heart was in my mouth the whole time and even had tears in my eyes at one point, you can feel the desperation Bear felt on the ocean.

Would highly recommend reading !