5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Another cracker.
Published on 25 Sep 2005 by ELH Browning

3.0 out of 5 stars I hate to do this!!
Oh Dear, I love Julia Donaldson too, I have quite a collection now but, I don't like the story at all, infact its creepy and alittle absurd even for me. I am reading it to my 5 year old and 3 year old, but have stopped reading it to my 3 year old as I just don't think its appropriate and even with my 5 year old I am changing some things around!
There is a chapter...
Published on 14 Sep 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Another cracker., 25 Sep 2005
ELH Browning "Esther-Lou" (Kingston Bagpuize, Oxon) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Charlie Cook's Favourite Book (Hardcover)
My son (3) and daughter (5) saw this in the bookshop, recognized Axel Scheffer's style and pleaded with me to read it there and then. So I did and we all loved it. Donaldson's books are always great and usually fantastic. This one is definitely at the top end of this spectrum. The story moves, with trademark rhythm and rhyme, along a bookshelf and in each a character is reading..from the next one... so in the book Charlie reads, a character is reading a book and so on until the story comes full circle via pirates, burglars, aliens, a friendly ghost, Goldilocks, royalty with a giant cake birthday cake. Each theme appeals to preschool children, and each book visited looks different and inviting, and it is great for boys especially. Although it's a clever concept the story is straightforward, and it seems less wordy than, say, The Gruffalo. The children love flicking back to the very beginning and following the progress of the story on the end-papers. And let's be honest, so do I! A must-have for all children of 2-5.

5.0 out of 5 stars best book since The Gruffalo, 24 Mar 2006
A. Craig "Amanda Craig" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Charlie Cook's Favourite Book (Hardcover)
This is a story about a story - something children under 3 probably won't get but which those over it will love. A small boy reads his favourite book, a pirate tale in which another character reads their own favourite book, and so on - until CHarlie himself appears back in someone else's favourite book. It's a little like the Ahlbergs' classic, Each Peach, Pear, Plum in that it plays with fairytale characters such as Goldilocks; and a little like their It Was A Dark & Stormy Night. What it's really about is the pleasure of reading, but children will just love it for its rollocking rhymes ands Scheffler's bright, funny, magical pictures - stuffed with the kind of detail that is fun to spot. One to read again and again before bedtime!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully creative storytelling, 20 Feb 2006
C. M. Perkins (Stirling, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Charlie Cook's Favourite Book (Hardcover)
My three-year-old daughter got this book for her birthday from someone who spotted that she was a big fan of Donaldson's Gruffalo books. It has the same melodic rhyming text as those, and a unique story:
Charlie Cook's favourite book is about a pirate - who finds a book on a desert island that is about a....
And so each double spread is a mini story of its own, and they all link together and eventually come full circle.
Whilst my daughter likes the characters and the stories, she's too young (at the moment) to notice all the detail. A book being read by a baddie in prison has got loads of quirky doodles in the margin, and a book found by a crocodile has got teeth marks in the corner - very clever.
Every time we read it I always see something new - and I'm always tickled by a great rhyme with 'encyclopaedia'.
Highly enjoyable at every reading (and I've done lots!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure magic, 9 Aug 2007
DavyA (Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Marvellous childrens story from a superb children's story teller - does exactly what it says on the cover, tells you all about Charlie's favourite book. A wonderful rhyming tale supported by some fantastic illustrations. This book is bed time gold. Julia Donaldson's work is like a sedative for young children, it always get the young uns off to sleep & they are so addicted to the stories, it's just fantastic ! Julia Donaldson is one of the best things to have happened for parents, since those two heaven sent inventions, the dummy & Calpol (God bless her !)
Marvellous in every way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rhyming books, 20 April 2007
Andrew Hodgkinson "Chesh451" (Newcastle) - See all my reviews
Just to put an earlier reviewer right! This book does rhyme, I use this book for school storytimes and the kids always comment on how it rhymes. This book is a good light story for children upto 7, its a great way to get kids interested in different types of books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! Keeps adults entertained too, 14 April 2008
L. Parr - See all my reviews
Having to read a lot of books to my book thirsty(not yet 2 year old) son, I have found this to be a breath of fresh air. It's fun for everyone & the usual Alex Scheffler characters are there - frogs, bears, dogs, parrots, dragons etc. I actually find Grufallo to be boring, but this one is great. Also, it's not scary - headless ghosts are fun! Especially when they put their heads back on after a night's haunting!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable for parents too, 1 April 2009
K. E. Nickols "nickoka" (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
I am reading this book to my six year old twin daughters. They love the occasional use of 'giant language', and have amazing recall of what the words mean - but they also like looking words up in the glossary, which can make the bedtime story a bit longer than usual! You have been warned.

It's a great story, and good to read something unusual.

4.0 out of 5 stars I have the whole range of Julia's books, but this one......., 2 May 2008
My 3 year old is loving these book, he adores , 'room on the broom' though he is not keen on 'gruffalo' I am!

Upon reading this book to him, he seemed to be bored, i did too. It seemed not to flow as well as her others, and made it difficult to get in to.

We have had this for a week now, and ay bed time, he does not want me to read it. So is a bit of a let down to be honest.
Though the drawings are good as usual

4.0 out of 5 stars Perseverance pays off..., 17 Oct 2008
J. Bloss "jethrox1" (Buckingham,UK) - See all my reviews
Initially I was quite disappointed by this book. I think this was because I was just looking for another Gruffalo and this is quite different. The basic premise is that each page is concerned with a different book which leads on to the next one. After a few reads I have changed my mind though and feel it has a great pace and rhythm. It also has quite a lot of details on the various pages for identifying. Warning that one of the "books" does feature a headless ghost who carries her head around with her at night til she puts it back on to read her favourite book - personally I thought this was not offensive in any way and certainly not scary to any children I know, but of course there may be more sensitive children out there...as per one of the other reviews.

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably one of the lesser titles of Julia Donaldson, 22 May 2006
This review is from: Charlie Cook's Favourite Book (Hardcover)
This is still a good book, still excellent rhyme, but it just doesn't have the excitement of Gruffalo or "Room on the broom".

Charlie Cook's Favourite Book
Charlie Cook's Favourite Book by Julia Donaldson (Hardcover - 2 Sep 2005)