5.0 out of 5 stars Results!
Published on 22 Mar 2004 by D. Matthews

2.0 out of 5 stars Misguided and misleading.
Ok, I'll start with the positive points:
Published on 3 May 2005

2.0 out of 5 stars Misguided and misleading., 3 May 2005
Ok, I'll start with the positive points:
For one, the book provides some useful information on general skin care (but far better is available elsewhere), has a comparatively effective topical control regime and a positive attitude about treating acne. It's also a far better alternative than roaccutane or anti-biotics as it is harmless to your long term health and if used correctly, has no nasty side effects.
Now for the negative points.
Firstly, my biggest problem with this book is that it presents its self as a "cure" which it simply isn't. (This is even admitted on page 2, where you'll find an acknowledgement that the topical regime given in the book is not technically a "cure" as there may still be recurrences).
A genuine cure would be to eradicate all traces of acne, permanently, without the need for continuous use of any kind of acne control/prevention measure or medication.
That is something this book cannot offer you. Why? Because while it explains how acne its self forms and how to treat it topically, it doesn't explain WHY you actually have acne in the first place, or the differences between you and someone who doesn't. The whole program operates on the paradigm that the cause of acne is at the skin and that it is there the treatments should be concentrated. In reality, this isn't the case. The primary causes of acne are internal imbalances. Acne is kind of like the boils from a fever, or the "pocks" from chicken pocks. The skin may be where the symptoms of the problems become visible, but it's not where they start. With that in mind it makes perfect sense as to why however sophisticated the regime or products you use are, they are rarely more than partially effective and will never actually cure acne. They only help to minimise the (visible) symptoms, but do nothing to actually rectify the causes.
Admittedly the book does provide some advice on nutrition, diet and lifestyle in the chapter titled "Taking care of your skin from inside," which is a start, but it doesn't even attempt to explain what the problems might be or how to address them and is so clearly secondary to the topical regime as to be rather pitiful.
As for the regime its self, well it's rather fiddly and time consuming and requires the use of various different topical agents, most of which have to be imported as they are not available in the UK, or at least, not in the correct concentrations, making them expensive as well.
The products which are used are a selection of acids and anti-bacterial agents which if used in the wrong concentration, cause reddening, drying and flaking of the skin, so you also need to experiment with different concentrations to avoid this. It goes without saying that, being a topical system, it is only marginally effective and only so when applied continuously.
If it all came to a close here, I'd consider giving it 3 stars, but the remainder of the book is filled with information which ranges from irrelevant and misleading to just plain wrong.
The book also advocates (admittedly only extremely difficult cases) tacking antibiotics or Roaccutane to treat acne. I can speak from personal experience about the former and say they are (unsurprisingly) only marginally effective and temporarily so at that. They also cause potentially damaging side effects which take time to reverse.
As for Roaccutane, just type that word into a search engine and see what you find, then decide if you still want to take it. Oh, and lets not forget, neither of these drugs do anything to help cure you.
So, in summary: If you want to genuinely and permanently CURE your acne, look elsewhere for a something that shows you how to rectify the primary causes, which are internal. If you want a reasonably effective but rather time consuming and heavily U.S. biased topical regime that you will have to apply continually for years to come, buy this book!

2.0 out of 5 stars Unfulfilled Promises.., 24 May 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: The Acne Cure: The Revolutionary Non-prescription Treatment Plan That Can Cure Even the Most Severe Acne and Shows Dramatic Results in as Little as 24 Hours (Paperback)
I have been an acne sufferer for 4 years, having moderate acne, at times being on the verge of severe. I had tried countless methods and products, and when I stumbled upon this book I decided to give it a try.
What can I say. It does reduce the amount of breakouts somewhat, but there are NO dramatic or long-term results. This more or less prevented my acne from worsening, but didn't really cure existing acne or do anything to my overall skin's health.
Mediocore book, really. Disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Results!, 22 Mar 2004
D. Matthews "diane_25" (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
I don't have particularly bad skin, but after years of trying different products I thought I'd give this book a chance. I was already using glycolic acid products, but found through this book that a complete routine is required. After purchasing the required products and following the directions for one week, my skin has improved 75% and I feel a lot more confident about myself. I just wish I'd have read this book 10 years ago (I am now 25).
If you are wanting to follow this book and having trouble getting hold of the products, you can find a good glycolic acid cream (15%) at [...] Its pricy, but well worth the money and arrived next day.

1.0 out of 5 stars OK information but not the best way to get rid of spots., 12 Nov 2007
Another 'acne' book that focuses on getting rid of acne from the outside. Whilst Dubrow agrees that it is important to have a good diet and to take in vitamins he is not committed to saying how much of an effect diet really has on skin, he therefore errs on the safe medical side and promotes chemicals to put on your skin instead.
I did find parts of this book helpful but it does not contain a long-term solution to those wishing to achieve healthy skin.
I suffered from bad acne for years until I found out that I was intolerant to dairy. As soon as I stopped drinking milk and eating anything containing dairy my skin immediately cleared up. There is no mention of being dairy intolerant in this book therefore this book would not have helped me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Cure at Last, 17 May 2006
At 38 years old, and having suffered from acne since age 11, I thought there was no hope. However after two weeks of following the instructions in the book I have clear skin, and even my red acne scars are fading. Can't believe it after years of misery and heaps of money down the drain, and failed doctors advice.

This is an update over 1 year later:
I still follow this routine and have only had a handful of spots in the last 12-18months, I used to get that many each day.
If you're struggling to get the glycolic acid - they have it at boots and on ebay.

Good luck.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a cure, misleading information, 22 Mar 2014
A. J. Alton "altonator" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Acne Cure (Hardcover)
This book contains instructions for how to (attempt to) treat the SYMPTOMS of acne. It doesn't even begin to get into the real CAUSE of acne, let alone discuss even the beginnings of a cure for it.

It purveys the idea that acne should be treated at the skin level, but doesn't even discuss why you have it, or give any methods for treating the underlying causes. Treating acne at the skin level is like trying to rid yourself of brain cancer by taking paracetamol to relieve the headaches. It might reduces the symptoms slightly, but it totally misses the root cause. You know when you can feel a spot brewing under your skin and you know that in a few days it will be a massive zit. Well that alone should tell you that treating it on the surface is a silly idea.

The topical treatments which the book suggests do have some affect though. Those treatments are:
* Using benzoyl peroxide cream (there's one called Quinoderm in the UK).
* Using a glycolic acid face wash (the Jan Marini one is quite good).
* Putting ice on your face (I'm slightly skeptical of this).

That's it.

But if you really want to treat your acne you need to look at the root causes. I haven't found a total cure, but from my (quite extensive) research online it seems that some things pretty much cure some people, or have a very positive effect. I'm male, 29, and have got my acne very much under control. Here's what I did:

* Cleaned up my diet. No sugar. Largely organic. Good fats (omega 3). (Google "paleo diet".)
* Did the liver flush (see curezone.com), this is weird but had an AMAZING effect on my skin.

And here's what I still do:

* I take pantothenic acid (vitamin b5), about 3-7g per day (yes, grams, not mg), so 6-14 x 500mg capsules per day.
* My acne is made much worse by ejaculation, so I'm trying to learn male multiple orgasm.

If you're interested in the underlying causes and biology of it then try also Googling/Wikipedia-ing:
* L-cysteine (some people cite this as making the pantothenic acid more effective).
* CoenzymeA (is used to oxidise/metabolise fats in the skin, generated from pantothenic acid and l-cysteine).
* Testosterone (how it affects oil production).

Get Googling! Read a lot. Try things and see what works. Your journey has just begun...

5.0 out of 5 stars seems to work incredibly well so far, 3 Mar 2004
By A Customer
I read other people's reviews which inspired me to buy this, and so far (only 4 days in) it seems to be working incredibly well. I had to scour a few chemists to get all the stuff put it is all readily available, and I expected the whole thing to be much more of a fuss but it isn't really and so far the results are amazing. The book seems well researched if a little evangelical in places (but then hey, if it really works that well I suppose you would be quite proud!), and well written. If you have problem with acne (and I have had for about 20 years) give this a whirl.

1.0 out of 5 stars I didn't find it helped, 25 Feb 2004
I had mild acne when i got this book, by the time i finished i had serious acne. it made my skin drier and redder and very flaky. so much so i had to stop the treatments. my skin now goes mental when i use glycolic acid cleanser. if you have skin more delicate than a rhino go to a dermatologist

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Stuff!, 8 July 2004
By A Customer
I started using this book about 6 months ago, I still get the occasional breakout but using the steps described in this book means that my skin is much better within days. I have quite sensitive skin so found that some of the products did irritate for a while, but I found that if I kept using them my skin got used to them and they didn't irritate at all. I also have quite dry skin and found that the products in this book did dry it out more, but using Eucerin Extremely Dry Skin cream moisturiser after the 3 steps helps a lot.

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete and utter waste of time and money, 13 Feb 2005
Mr. K. D. Geoghegan (UK) - See all my reviews
The program made no difference whatsoever, end of story. I had just as many breakouts as before. As for the book, since the program is one chapter, the rest of the book is simply padding and useless information. Someone couldve set up a one page website and conveyed all the steps...for free. The doctor discusses dozens of health supplements that 'could' help with the problem, but who knows which one(s) to try? This is not the miracle cure that he makes it out to be, I have regular acne which is supposed to be completely cureble with the program, but no change whatsoever. And for the program I bothered making ice every day... : (