5.0 out of 5 stars Truly magical
Published on 15 Nov 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Gruffalo
We didn't enjoy this one as much as The Gruffalo. It wouldn't be picked by my 3 yr old for story time, I'd have to take it out, and can still be rejected. Pictures are quite dark , as its set in winter time, a lot of night time and snow. So maybe this didn't take his interest. Well written though, a good book.
Published 15 months ago by RainDrops

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly magical, 15 Nov 2004
This review is from: The Gruffalo's Child (Hardcover)
I loved the Gruffalo, but have to disagree with those who felt that the sequel was somehow lacking in magic. The Gruffalo's child is truly wonderful, with a great story, lovely use of language and absolutely incredible illustrations. I actually preferred it to the original in some ways, particularly because I felt that 'bold' children (of whom I know several!) would identify with the child in this book - seeking adventure and finding a little more than she bargained for! For those who haven't read it yet - the Gruffalo's child has grown up with stories of the Big Bad Mouse, and sneaks off to see if he really exists.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Childrens Book, 25 April 2007
Scully Bloke (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Gruffalo's Child (Paperback)
Not quite as good as the original gruffalo, but still an excellent childrens book that my son absolutely adores.

It will not make much sense if you have not read the gruffalo, so make sure you read that first before this book.

Al the same characters are there from the original book, and this is quite funny too. The illustrations are marvellous and there are some very funny drawings, like the mouses snowman that will also entertain small children.

4.0 out of 5 stars the gruffalos child, 26 Oct 2004
This review is from: The Gruffalo's Child (Hardcover)
This book and its predecessor, "The Gruffalo" caused quite a stir at our playgroup! Given a choice of two books at storytime, one being "The Gruffalos child" the mums all cried "The Gruffalo one"!!!
The illustrations are wonderful, with the attention to detail just as clever as the original story, which makes up for the fact, its sadly not quite as brilliant as "The Gruffalo". But nevertheless, its an all time classic in our house, loved by the children and grownups alike! How many other parents must there be who can recite the whole story by heart? Bedtime isnt bedtime without the gruffalo and that cunning big bad mouse!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost as good as the first Gruffalo!, 2 Dec 2004
joc66 (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Gruffalo's Child (Hardcover)
Well, of course if you and your children loved the Gruffalo, you are going to buy this. With the same striking illustrations as the first story, and told in the same rhyming style that makes it possible for my almost three year old to join in the telling, the Gruffalo's child is another hit in our house.
All your old friends from the first book are here, the fox, owl, snake, mouse and Gruffalo (who sleeps through the whole thing!). However, there is the addition of a young girl Gruffalo who goes off on an adventure in search of the "big bad mouse" she has heard stories about. My daughter loves this "baby gruffalo".
The smartest character in the story is, of course, the mouse who may be the smallest character in the "deep dark wood" but is certainly not lacking in brain power. His way of dealing with the curious young Gruffalo has led to some fun games with shadows in our house.
This is a great story to read aloud. My two girls are 1 and nearly 3 and they both love it. It is a very good children's book, and nearly as good as the original Gruffalo story, which is saying something as sequels so often disappoint. We would probably give this four and a half stars if we could. It is very good, but not quite as good as good as Gruffalo 1.

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfying sequel to Children's Classic, 9 Sep 2004
This review is from: The Gruffalo's Child (Hardcover)
I couldn't wait to snap this up when I saw that there was a new title in the Gruffalo series. The first book ("The Gruffalo") is a true classic and I think I enjoy reading it to my daughter just as much as she enjoys listening to it and joining in. The style of the Gruffalo's Child is similar and the same characters appear (snake, owl, fox and mouse). The tale of the big bad mouse has become a Gruffalo legend so the Gruffalo's child decides to go go looking for him in the deep dark wood.
Written in the same rhyming style and with the same fantastic illustrations, this book is sure to delight adults and children. Maybe not quite as cool as the first book but still worth every penny of the asking price.
Buy it - you won't regret it (and the kids might like it too!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Return of the Gruffalo?, 11 Oct 2004
This review is from: The Gruffalo's Child (Hardcover)
A lovely return of the big bad mouse who has to show even more cunning to outwit the curious Gruffalo's Child.
Worth the wait, can Julia Donaldson do no wrong? Well not in our house she can't! Great illustration too, a top birthday/ christmas present - NO HOME SHOULD BE WITHOUT IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars My 2 year old loved it, 7 Jan 2006
Hazel Mayger (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gruffalo's Child (Hardcover)
My 2 year old boy sat and let me read him this book (usually he only likes the pictures and wont listen to the words, but he delighted in this one) and was able to tell the story back to me in his own little words. That was a first for us. Good book.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Gruffalo's child, 4 Nov 2004
This review is from: The Gruffalo's Child (Hardcover)
My daughter and I were eagerly awaiting this book -the sequel to the quite brilliant Gruffalo. The Gruffalo has been our favourite bedtime story for years and our copy is now decidedly dog-eared! I must admit that I am a little disappointed with The Gruffalo's Child -it seems to lack the originality and humour of its predecessor (much the same as in follow-up films). My daughter enjoyed the story very much and couldn't wait to turn the pages as I was reading it to her. All in all it's worth buying, but don't expect another classic!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Jack's thoughts about The Gruffalo's Child, 27 Oct 2005
Mr A J N Head (Beverley, East Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gruffalo's Child (Paperback)
My son Jack (6) read this book at school. Here are his thoughts.
"My favourite bit in this book is when the Gruffalo's child starts to worry about what is behind him... I think the story is great... I would like this book to be in all school libraries. Thank you to the author!"

5.0 out of 5 stars More Gruffalo, Great, 18 Aug 2006
D. Newberry "Di" (East Kilbride, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Gruffalo's Child (Paperback)
Once again a great book, very enjoyable with rhymes and lovely pictures. Julia Donaldson has done it again - another hit with my 4yr old and his older siblings everyone loves these books ( Gruffalo and Gruffalo's child) a story I can happily read time after time.

ARRAY(0xaaa70498)

The Gruffalo's Child
The Gruffalo's Child by Julia Donaldson (Paperback - 2 Sep 2005)
4.00