Format: Hardcover|Change

on 23 October 2006
This is an excellent book for children from one to five - and beyond. The rhyming story and the colourful artwork appeal to very young children from the start while slightly older children enjoy `reading' along. The story is inventive, with just the right level of repetition and it pulls off the rare feat of being entertaining to the adult reader as well as to their audience.
on 17 May 2006
Another Donaldson/Scheffler hit! Wonderfully flowing rhyme and beautiful illustrations make it a joy to read especially if you don't mind putting on silly voices for the little old lady and the wise old man.

Your child will be introuduced to various animals who all move into the old lady's tiny house on advice of the wise old man causing chaos and her ultimate realisation that perhaps her house isn't as small as she first thought.
on 16 June 2002
A hilarious rhyming story that had myself and a class full of 30, 6 year olds in stiches!
Two delightful characters - a little old lady (essential grey hair in bun!) and a wise old man (long, curious white beard!)with the help of numerous farmyard animals assist the old lady to realise that the house she thought was tiny wasn't as small as she thought. An important lesson in appreciating what you have.
0Comment|99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 September 1999
This is a brilliant book. My 2 year old daughter demands to hear it every night and loves the pictures, and because the rhyme is so funny and is perfect to read aloud, I don't get tired of reading it to her, so everyone's happy.
A Squash and a Squeeze is a great book, with a deeper meaning than most small-childrens' books. It's a good enough, simple story with rhyming verses and nice illustrations, that lilts along at just the right pace for my 16-month-old daughter to choose it again and again from her shelf of bedtime books.

But it also has a deeper, more philosophical message for her to pick up later. And that message is essentially 'be thankful for what you've got, because your life could be a lot worse'. This, of course, is not an easy message for small children to grasp, but one which I think most parents would be happy for them to understand at some later point in their childhood.

All in all, it's a cheerful, colourful and educational book with messages on different levels for children from toddler age to young school age, I'd suggest.
on 26 January 2005
my three and a half year old just adores Julia donaldson books she likes looking at this one on her own after I have read it to her It teaches children ryhming or so i believe she is also an excellent author and shiffler is a fantastic illustator I would reccomend this book to anyone its highly entertaining
VINE VOICEon 25 April 2007
This is a very good book. I bought it as my 3 year old on liked some of the other books that the author had written, namely the gruffalo, the gruffalo's chid and room on a broom which are all excellent books.

However I did not find it quite so good as the 3 I have mentioned, mainly because its simply a bit less exciting...

As you can see from the other reviews it can tell your children lessons in life about valuing what you have, rather than hankering after other things, but 3 year old children like a laugh and a good story. This gives them both, but not quite up there with the others by the same author.

However still a very good childrens book.
on 16 March 2000
My two year old son is transfixed by the fun drawings and the silly rhyme - it could be set to music. Inventive and educational. Teaches kids about animals and the abstract notion of space and room. We all enjoy reading it.
on 5 June 2005
I'm probably the only person old enough to be able to 'hear' Floella Benjamin singing this song as I read the book. The song was on a tape produced by the BBC many years ago in association with the much-loved children's programme Play School. Anyway, with or without music, this is a wonderful story that will help children learn to appreciate what they've got and not always be wanting more (probably!).
on 3 June 2011
An old lady is feeling down - `her house is a squash and a squeeze' so she invites the help of a wise old man, who suggests that she takes increasingly bigger animals into her house. Each animal is more mischievous than the last. There are some brilliant illustrations of animal naughtiness - the pig raiding the larder, the cow doing a jig on the table, the hen laying an egg on the floor, me and my three year old spend a long time looking and laughing at the pictures of these animals misbehaving in the old lady's house while she gets all the more exasperated. Like the Gruffalo, this book is in rhyme and the little old lady's voice begs to be read in a Scottish accent. We enjoy this book every time we read it, and as I read the last page, I can't help feeling that I shouldn't ever forget to be thankful that my house isn't overrun with raucous farm animals!