4.9 out of 5 stars1,260

on 23 June 2002
"He has terrible tusks, and terrible claws, and terrible teeth in his terrible jaws... He has knobbily knees and turned-out toes, and a poisounous wart at the end of his nose. His eyes are orange, his tongue is black; He has purple prickles all over his back... He's the Gruffalo! Gruffalo! Gruffalo!"
Recently purchased this big book and its fantastic! Its won an award for being the best book to read aloud and it's not hard to see why! You can really go to town on the story telling front with animal and monster voices galore! Plus in this big book version there are some great activity ideas to use with groups of children. It is a great starting point to teach them about rhyme or make up their own imaginary monsters (but hopefully they won't turn out to be real like the Gruffalo!). It even includes a play script and song with sheet music! If you are interested check out the book and tape pack- the story is read in a lively exciting fashion by actress Imelda Staunton and the tape also includes the Gruffalo song and backing track! Great for a school assembly or show! Very topical at the moment with the recent sucess of "Monsters inc." A must have for infant teachers! The children will love this one.
0Comment|88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 November 2006
The Gruffalo is one of the best children's book I have ever read!

I bought it when my eldest daughter was 18 months or so and she loved the rhyming and the pictures.

Now she is 5 she can read it alone and she now 'gets' the more adult bits of the books (like the fact that the Gruffalo thinks the animals are scared of the mouse, whilst they're actually scared of him!).

Just like the the Dr Seuss books, once you have read this a few times you will know it off by heart.

I don't know anyone who has this book and doesn't love it!

A true classic children's book.
on 10 November 2003
As a student teacher I love this book not only for the fantastic language and imaginative story but the child in me loves it too. I have used this book many times within the classroom as well as sharing it on a personal level. It lends itself well to both situations with the children loving it as much as I do. I can imagine anyone could resist this book and if your ever stuck for literacy ideas its packed with them.
on 17 January 2005
Quite simply the best modern children's book.
A fantastic story about the adventures of a mouse in the deep dark wood. There is a terrific rhythm to the prose (poetry) - it is a joy to read aloud. Any overnight vistor to our house is always asked to read the Gruffalo to my son - he never tires of it even though he can now recite large parts of it.
To cap it off it is beautifully illustrated.
on 25 January 2005
Quite simply the best modern children's book.
A fantastic story about the adventures of a mouse in the deep dark wood. There is a terrific rhythm to the prose (poetry) (it is a joy to read aloud) together with very good use of repetition (A gruffalo, what's a gruffalo?). As usual Axel Scheffler's illustrations are excellent; complementing the story wonderfully.
The toy is very good - it has all the features referenced in the book - its eyes are orange, its tongue is black, it really does have purple prickles all over its back! - and my son (3) loves pointing out the features on the toy as we read the book.
Absolutely brilliant - unreservedly recommended
on 9 September 2001
Having taught children from age 4 to 11, I have yet to encounter a child that doesn't love 'The Gruffalo'. The beautifully crafted rhythmical style is a dream to read aloud and a perfect vehicle for all fellow show-offs to practise their animal and monster voices!
on 1 June 2004
A truly fantastic children's book.
A good story, told with good narrative drive. To cap it off, well illustrated as well.
All in all the best children's book we have read so far.
Look out for other books by the same authors: Room on the Broom, The Smartest Giant in Town.
They are very good as well.
on 8 January 2004
I have read this book to my eldest daughter who is three time and time again. Not because she wants to hear it but I do !.
This is an superb book which combines humour with a few 'scary' parts which my kids love. The illustrations are bright and capture the imagination. Five out of five every time !. Enjoy.
on 9 December 2004
What an incredible magical combination of author and artist, and what an outstanding set of books this collaboration has produced. The Gruffalo is an amazing tale that reminds me of many stories I read as a child: It has a wonderful combination of characters like The Little Red Hen, a sequence of events similar to The Old Woman and Her Pig, and the magical elements of many fairy tales. I believe Julia Donaldson is every bit as talented in creating rhyme as the great Dr. Seuss. The language has exceptional flow and makes this a fantastic read aloud book. Both children and adults will marvel at the ingenuity of our tiny hero on his journey, as well as his charm. The artwork is brilliant, and the story is superb. I recommend The Gruffalo for everyone who loves great stories and beautiful children's books.
J.H. Sweet, author of The Fairy Chronicles
on 25 January 2006
I have been reading children's stories to pre-school children for nearly 20 years and have never seen one become such an instant hit. The children at nursery were so taken with this story that they immediately began to re-enact it.The wit and courage of the little mouse were inspirational and the children began to think and act like him. It's also a great way to bring a big monster down to size!