5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Mark Twain - Characters we still recognize today
Published on 14 Feb 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars innocents abroad
Unable to read, Font size too small for old eyes, Would be helpful if some indication of type size was stated
Published on 8 Jun 2010 by Robert G. Stoddart

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Mark Twain - Characters we still recognize today, 14 Feb 1999
By A Customer
This book describes a group tour of "Europe and the Holy Land" Samuel Clemens experienced and reported about 100 years ago. He describes, in a way that only Mark Twain can, the people he meets and the places they go from the point of view from the American West. One memorable example of his American perspective is a comparison of Italian mountains, lakes and rivers with his beloved Rockies, Tahoe, and Mississippi. He also paints humorous portraits of the tour guides and his fellow travelers. The first time I read this book I was on an organized bus tour in Europe and quickly realized how many of Twain's human observations on how tourists are treated still apply, which makes the humor very accessible.

5.0 out of 5 stars His funniest book, 24 Jun 1999
By A Customer
This is Twain when he doesn't have to worry about a bloomin' story line or consistant dialogue. He simply writes what comes to mind, and manages to debunk every so-called monument of western civ.(Just why do they call this the holy land?!) He reminds us we don't have to be a cultured snob to be a superior person. Read this before you go to Europe or after your trip. Or whenever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book!, 30 Mar 1998
By A Customer
I think Clemen's funniest extended work. He was not far removed from his newspaper work at the time, nor had he established himself as a writer nationally. I believe because of that there is a vitality to the writing and unconcern with maintaining his stature that makes Innocents a serendiptious howler of a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Original and exciting tales of 19th century travels, 31 Mar 2004
Until reading this book I had little, even no perception of the way of life in mainland Europe in the 19th century. Yet after reading Twain's 'The Innocents Abroad' I couldn't help but feel refreshed and energised. My first thought when I got to the last page was that I had to visit the amazing places that he did 150 years ago.
I could never get bored of his sarcastic yet so true statements about the people and places he saw. I particularly enjoyed his synomonous accounts of busy and boisterous Napoli (Naples, Italy) and he really brought all the senses of what the city was like to me through the pages.
Despite being written so long ago it is suprising to see how little the world has changed apart from mass technological discovery. If all travel writers were as honest and 'frank' as Twain then I would be sure that we would all have a better judgement and sense of how the world around us really works.
A historical and cultural masterpieve written by one of America's most treasured and prized authors.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a joy to read!, 17 Jun 2013
This, Mark Twain's first book, is a travellogue! Incredibly well written, funny beyond words and, characteristically for Twain, so quotable! No wonder this book shot him to literary fame. It was both absorbing and an education to read descriptions of his travels across Europe and the near East in 1869 and be given to appreciate how much (and little!) this part of the world has changed in the last 150 years!!! I even landed up learning about different places/sites I'd never heard of and found myself constantly googling landmarks he visited. What a privilege to have come across it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mark Twain: Innocents Abroad, 29 Oct 2011
M. Stonitsch (Wolverhampton, UK) - See all my reviews
The book arrived on time and in perfect condition, as always. Mark Twain's travels always amuse me as the interesting places and people he describes remind me of my own travels albeit 140 years later.

1.0 out of 5 stars innocents abroad, 8 Jun 2010

2.0 out of 5 stars Hard going, 17 Mar 2009
I find it hard to believe I read the same book as the other reviewers! My book group chose this one and for the first time ever, not one of us managed to finish the book. The problem is that everything is one-note and indigestible (very wordy indeed) and the odd humorous comment (usually the same joke - foreigners are stupid) doesn't make up for this. Interesting at a pinch to see what things were like in the 1860s but don't expect to feel any empathy or to get under the skin of the travelling experience.

Innocents Abroad, The
Innocents Abroad, The by Mark Twain (Hardcover - 11 Jun 2002)
23.68