4.0 out of 5 stars You are One of a Kind!
Lots of people find it difficult if not impossible, to see the bigger picture about their current life's circumstances.Often times its little insects like the ants, and other invertebrates,such as Oysters and butterflies, that display some of their endearing wisdom for the discerning mind.
New York Times Best-selling author, Andy Andrew, has crafted a beautiful way...
Published on 7 Sep 2010 by E. Omogbeja

2.0 out of 5 stars The Butterfly Effect
The Butterfly Effect by Andy Andrews
Thomas Nelson / 9781404187801 /

Published on 7 Sep 2010 by Margaret Vaughan

2.0 out of 5 stars The Butterfly Effect, 7 Sep 2010
The Butterfly Effect by Andy Andrews
Thomas Nelson / 9781404187801 /

Imagine a butterfly flapping its wings, setting molecules of air in motion, moving more molecules of air until on the other side of the planet, a hurricane is started. This is the butterfly effect. But this book speaks of individuals whose actions have changed the world for the better and because you have been created as one of a kind, every thing you do matters. You too can make a difference.
The message of this book is inspiring and the layout and production are beautifully presented, making it an acceptable gift to encourage a friend, but I wonder if the cost can be justified for a publication that can be read in less than 30 minutes. Perhaps a book to give to someone who doesn't normally read very much, or to place on a coffee table as a conversation starter. The content is good, but there is not enough of it!

Review by Margaret Vaughan who was given a complimentary copy of this book by Thomas Nelson.

4.0 out of 5 stars You are One of a Kind!, 7 Sep 2010
E. Omogbeja "houseofsolace" (London,U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Butterfly Effect: How Your Life Matters (Hardcover)
New York Times Best-selling author, Andy Andrew, has crafted a beautiful way of communicating these qualities to every aspiring leader in his latest book titled The Butterfly Effect!
The Butterfly Effect, published by Thomas Nelson Publishers comes across like a picture book for kiddies but it isn't. Rather, it is a small book with man-sized life nuggets!

From the insight into an unassuming but brave ordinary teacher, whose courage and discernment defied all odds with his depleted army,who risked death and defeat to take on the fire-power of an formidable enemy: without a single ammunition. This death-defying decision has secured the posterity of even the unborn American yet to come!

With the moving tales of both known and uncelebrated visionaries[George Washington Carver,& more], Andy keeps the reader's mind in suspense with every unfolding page like the magical motion of a butterfly's wings; with a continuum of endearing stories and how their actions have direct influence on ours today.

2.0 out of 5 stars The Butterfly Effect..., 7 Sep 2010
L. Mills - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Butterfly Effect: How Your Life Matters (Hardcover)
In the Butterfly Effect, Andy Andrews aims to show his readers how their individual lives matter, and the effect they can have on the world. Each action can ripple out and have incredible consequences. He uses examples to show how one person's actions can cause an entire chain reaction of events. This is written in gift book style and is a very quick read.

Firstly I should note that this is an American book and is obviously written for an American audience, in a very American style, with American examples. Naturally this means I cannot as easily identify with it, as I am not American. This is an observation rather than a criticism, although it does give the book an exclusive feel - I was outside, looking in.

The idea behind the book is a positive one: an affirming message about how one life matters. However, I felt the book lacked something. Although showing how one action can effect so many other events, there was no sense of what kind of action - good or bad. There was no sense that we needed to make an effort to change the world, or impact the lives of others. 'Your life...and what you do with it today....MATTERS FOREVER' says Andrews. I was caught between 'Yikes! Really?!' and 'What, even hanging out the washing?' which I confess was very irreverent of me (and possibly very British, what with the 'hanging out the washing' thing).

The book is beautifully presented with high quality images. However, the way the book uses capitals and large fonts to make its point feels overdone, rather a lot of hyperbole, when sometimes a 'gentle whisper' can be more effective. When there are lots of capital letters, you get the impression the book is shouting at you. It also uses frequent ellipses (dot dot dot)...which I prefer to use sparingly...otherwise you lose the impact.

Not all our actions are good, and sometimes to change the world we need to make pro-active decisions in how we live our lives, how we work on things like forming our character. The danger is that we assume that we can just sit back and have an impact - without doing much. It seems it's trying to be motivational,but doesn't do much motivating.

I understand the point of the book, but I'm afraid it didn't do much for me. This may simply be a matter of taste, and I appreciate that others may find it very valuable. (This was my first impression from my first read-through, and perhaps I'll try it reading it again at a later date.) It felt like it was trying to boost my self-image but didn't really give me any kind of challenge. It just didn't inspire me enough.

***

I received this book free from the publisher through the [...] book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars The Butterfly Effect by Any Andrews, 7 Sep 2010
J. KEEL - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Butterfly Effect: How Your Life Matters (Hardcover)
I have just finished reading the Butterfly Effect by Andy Andrews and it didn't take me too long to do so.... In fact it's the first book that I've read for ages that has pictures in it and that made a refreshing change.

The book is designed to inspire the reader that their life can really make a difference, not only that but that their life can be one of permanent purpose. Andrews illustrates this point by using the theory of the butterfly effect to suggest that the very things we take for granted now are the result of people who have made amazing contributions to the world through their lives. The challenge is that we can all be those people. Even though the things we do know might seem menial or ineffectual they could have an influence beyond our imagination and because of this everything we do matters!

I loved this book mainly because I wasn't expecting to! I wondered whether it's content justified it's cost, but having read it know it I know that is something I will refer to many times in the future. I love the concept of the spiritual butterfly effect and would love to see the church grasp that we can ALL truly make a difference and that the difference starts now!

If I were going to be critical it would be only inasmuch as saying that I would have loved to have read a book that explored the theme further. Yet this book caught my attention, excited my mind and engaged more than one sense and as such is a great read that I would highly recommend to anyone, particularly those who perhaps need a burst of encouragement in their walk with God.

The Butterfly Effect: How Your Life Matters
The Butterfly Effect: How Your Life Matters by Andy Andrews (Hardcover - 1 Aug 2010)
9.50