4.0 out of 5 stars Writing - that easy?
Published on 25 Mar 2003 by Jane

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
I had high expectations of this book, since it is from Palgrave and other of their publications in this series have been very good indeed (especially the Stella Cottrell stuff). Sadly this volume is a real let down. Visually it is boring as hell and the content is very dry and hard to access, which when you are working with people who are majoritively visuo-kinaesthetic...
Published on 31 July 2009 by English Tutor

4.0 out of 5 stars Writing - that easy?, 25 Mar 2003
Writing well is not an easy task! A lecturer recommended this book to me four years ago. Struggling to write my final year dissertation I bought it, hoping it would help. It is very useful. The book is user-friendly and can be read quickly; it is also divided into sections for quick reference with a grammar section at the back. It explains basic concepts such as 'how to write a good sentence', and highlights the common errors students make. It shows how a little editing can dramatically improve a student's work. It will help your writing immensely, I only regret I didn't buy it sooner!

4.0 out of 5 stars Writing - that easy?, 25 Mar 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable tool, 21 Mar 2004
F. Paolini "Dr FranZ" (UK/Italy) - See all my reviews
I found this book particularly good; it is written in a very clear and succint way and highlights the everyday's mistakes that students (but not only) are falling foul.
Some people say that spelling and grammar are not the most important factors when writing academic papers, essays, dissertations, reports, projects and so forth....
Ok....tutors looks mainly for your understanding of the course material. But he/she won't be at all impress if you use the apostrophe incorrectly or if you repeatedly making gross grammar mistakes.
That is why I think that, as a foreign student studying in English, this book has been a great help in improving and polishing my writing skills.
Top marks!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The students Guide to writing, 16 Feb 2009
This is an excellent book that guides you through the complexities of grammar, and helps you polish your writing skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 28 Oct 2010
Ms. J. Davis - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Student's Guide to Writing: Spelling, Punctuation and Grammar (Palgrave Study Guides) (Paperback)
When I initially scanned this book I thought it wasn't for me, its first chapter is about sentences, and I'm thinking 'too easy', but whoever knew that something so basic could be so interesting.

If you liked Eats, Shoots, and Leaves then you'll like this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Review: The Student's Guide to Writing by John Peck, 9 Mar 2014
Great little book to use as reference for grammar, spelling and punctuation. This book is a great tool when writing/reading essays etc

4.0 out of 5 stars I have not read it yet!, 27 Oct 2013
It looks the part! I opened and perused the passage and at the moment cannot remember whereI
Bad Luck !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 15 April 2013
A very good source of information extended to a potential writer. I found the book to be what it says, a guide to writing which would be welcome by any serious writer.

4.0 out of 5 stars From poor grammar to good, 14 Dec 2012
My written English isn't great as I am dyslexic to naturally I have problems with language acquisition. However reading the a few pages made clear common mistakes I usually make while writing such as How sentences are constructed with a verb and subject, something some may often forget. I wish I had paid more attention in school but I need to improve my language skills for the sake of getting decent marks for my essay which clearly lack good grammar.

5.0 out of 5 stars The student's guide to writing, 22 April 2012
I first borrowed this book from my library but found it so helpful so decided to buy a copy myself for reference. I have a number of grammar books but this is really good for spelling, punctuation and other necessary things for when you need to write. Great must have book!

Used & New from: 0.01