Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Learn more

Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 February 2001
This book covers everything from Language issues, language and society and language change right through to stylistics. There are details of the board specifications for coursework and original writing and even mention of case study techniques. Written in a logical and organised manner this book is integral to A and A/S level success, and should be compulsory along with Crystal's Encyclopaedias. Whether revising or covering the topic for the first time, I suggest that you look into this book, and make your own decisions from there.
on 10 May 2000
I found this book really helpful during my A'level English Language course. It provided all the necessary requirements for my exam. I would highly recommend it for any A'level English Language student.
on 26 May 2009
I was greatly suprised by the coverage of this book. First off, the chapters on language and word classes are in depth and comprehensive. Some areas are left a little ambiguous and not all areas have good enough examples; some forms of verbs I am yet to grasp because of the lack of depth.
Later chapters then look at the way language is used in a variety of mediums from poetry and literature to politics and journalism. If you are writing a paper on the stylistics of a contemporary format then this is indispensible.
It works very well for me as I will be using it to structure some taught classes following some of the ideas in this text; especially the Journalism chaper which has an indepth coverage of the format.
I would recomend this book to both language and literature learners and would encourage really reading and learning from the book rather than looking for quick answers as so much can be taken from this.
on 28 April 2009
Sara Thorne's book covers everything around language issues, that an A-level English Language student (and much that an undergraduate) could conceivably need to know. Detailed specifications for AQA, OCR and Edexcel mean that it's suitable for all exam boards. If you are studying AS or A2 English Language then this is a must have book for you.
My lecturer advised this book for mature students as it covers English at a high academic level without being mind boggling--although it is soft with its approach the content is high quality and not to be thought of as lesser in anyway. The book can be used for both high end and low end English. It covers a variety of usage and uses different techniques to get the point across for the different tastes, needs and level of the reader.

I can honestly see this book being used by a person in their first year of a degree or even A-level.

I will use it not only for reference purposes but general study.
on 22 July 2012
They say that knowledge is power, and that true power comes from confidence and control of the dangerous and the complex.
With this book, power is easily acheived. It is clear, concise and provides wonderful way to discover and memorize the true joys of the English language. A must read for all English Lingustics & Language Students!
on 17 February 2009
Been using this book to help me with my A2 Language course, and the book is quite good. Some bits may not be that useful or relevant for college use depending on your course, but all-in-all, I have no complaints about the product and feel happy about it.
on 25 May 2007
This book was recommended by the exam board for my English Language A Level and proved to be a big help. I've even been able to refer to it during the first year of my degree. A helpful, easy to understand book.
on 9 November 2013
The book is helping me tutor As and A level. It clearly presents the course and is clearly written. I would recommend it for teaching purposes and for students to read on their own.
on 31 March 2014
I study linguistics in university, and this book is the equivalence of a bible for my course. I know it will refer it over and over again after I graduate as well. It takes you step by step, going from noun-phrases, to clauses, to language of different texts (i.e. advertising, newspaper, religion, politics, etc.). It is also great for comparing written text to spoken text.

Anyone who is studying language, teaching ESL or interested in the English language, this is a must-have.