on 30 December 2007
This book is superb: brief, passionate, detailed. Tells the story of the King with all the skill of a consummate story teller. The facts are objectively presented and told in such a way that even someone with virtually no knowledge of the era can quite easily be drawn in. Unputdownable!
on 15 May 2013
Firstly, don't be mistaken, as I was, that this book has been written by David Starkey. Dr Starkey has written a forward but the author is Christopher Hibbert.

I bought this book because I wanted to learn more about Charles I. What sort of person would steadfastly refuse to compromise and negotiate and willingly pay the ultimate price? Having read this book I have the beginnings of an answer to my question.

Dr Starkey says in his forward that you will not find much by way of the causes of the English Civil War. I beg to disagree. I think the reasons are set out if somewhat covertly. I do agree with Starkey that you will come to understand Charles I and that when this book is completed you will wish to read other books of Hibbert. The reason why is because the facts are set out clearly without pomposity or bias. They are made both accessible and interesting: Hibbert has created a page turning biography, which I commend to you.
on 6 September 2010
a really well written story of the life of charles 1 everything mr hibbert writes is very readable and the story is told as in a novel very exciting and very very good
on 15 December 2011
I read this book to prepare for my History A level exam, and i found that it helped me a great deal to remember topics in class that i hadn't before. A good book to quote from in the actual exam as well. Good value for money.
on 6 August 2015
Mr Hibbert writes a wonderful portrayal of the boy who became King. This is not a long book, but you still finish it with the feeling that you really know the man on the scaffold and why he ended up there despite his many chances not to. A fascinating insight and well worth a read.
on 13 April 2016
This is not the best book on CHARLES I you will ever read if you are looking for analysis, but if you want to get underneath the skin of the King and see the narrative of his life in almost a real-time way, then it is excellent.
on 8 October 2015
Reasonable and factual account of the life and times of Charles I. Makes an easy and compelling reading. The ilustrations are poorly reproduced due to lack of paper quality (paperback edition).
on 17 November 2013
this was an absolutely terrific book ! it arrived when it should have done and in the condition i expected , hurrah !
on 26 April 2016
well written
on 17 November 2013
This was unfortunately advertised on Amazon under the wrong author's name, that of David Starkey who only wrote the preface. I don't like Christopher Hibbert's books, and I only dipped into it but found it just typical - all second-hand information and quite a few of the old myths too. I have returned it to Amazon and got my money back, and I see it is now advertised under the correct name!
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse