5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Book!
This book is superb: brief, passionate, detailed. Tells the story of the King with all the skill of a consummate story teller. The facts are objectively presented and told in such a way that even someone with virtually no knowledge of the era can quite easily be drawn in. Unputdownable!
Published on 30 Dec 2007 by Chris Warne

2.0 out of 5 stars The wrong book for me
Published 13 months ago by M. N. Carlin

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Book!, 30 Dec 2007

5.0 out of 5 stars A page turning biography, 15 May 2013
Sally Walker (Eastbourne, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Charles I: A Life of Religion, War and Treason (Paperback)
Firstly, don't be mistaken, as I was, that this book has been written by David Starkey. Dr Starkey has written a forward but the author is Christopher Hibbert.

I bought this book because I wanted to learn more about Charles I. What sort of person would steadfastly refuse to compromise and negotiate and willingly pay the ultimate price? Having read this book I have the beginnings of an answer to my question.

Dr Starkey says in his forward that you will not find much by way of the causes of the English Civil War. I beg to disagree. I think the reasons are set out if somewhat covertly. I do agree with Starkey that you will come to understand Charles I and that when this book is completed you will wish to read other books of Hibbert. The reason why is because the facts are set out clearly without pomposity or bias. They are made both accessible and interesting: Hibbert has created a page turning biography, which I commend to you.

4.0 out of 5 stars hibberts life of charles 1, 6 Sep 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Charles I: A Life of Religion, War and Treason (Paperback)
a really well written story of the life of charles 1 everything mr hibbert writes is very readable and the story is told as in a novel very exciting and very very good

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written & good for exam preparation, 15 Dec 2011
This review is from: Charles I: A Life of Religion, War and Treason (Paperback)
I read this book to prepare for my History A level exam, and i found that it helped me a great deal to remember topics in class that i hadn't before. A good book to quote from in the actual exam as well. Good value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars a right royal read !, 17 Nov 2013
This review is from: Charles I: A Life of Religion, War and Treason (Paperback)
this was an absolutely terrific book ! it arrived when it should have done and in the condition i expected , hurrah !

2.0 out of 5 stars The wrong book for me, 17 Nov 2013
M. N. Carlin (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Charles I: A Life of Religion, War and Treason (Paperback)
This was unfortunately advertised on Amazon under the wrong author's name, that of David Starkey who only wrote the preface. I don't like Christopher Hibbert's books, and I only dipped into it but found it just typical - all second-hand information and quite a few of the old myths too. I have returned it to Amazon and got my money back, and I see it is now advertised under the correct name!

Charles I: A Life of Religion, War and Treason
Charles I: A Life of Religion, War and Treason by Christopher Hibbert (Paperback - 20 Aug 2007)