on 23 March 2007
I would recommend this book to ANYONE who is taking a degree in Maths, Physics, Engineering or any other subject that has a lot of seemingly complicated Maths involved. This book, unlike many others, does NOT assume that you got an A at A-level maths.

The first half of the book is concerned with what it calls "Foundation Topics". These cover everything that A-level Maths should have included but it is makes sure you can do the basics before moving on to the harder, more challenging topics in the second half of the book. The topics are laid out in clear step by step frames. There are quizes at the start of each chapter to assess how much you already know, and self check boxes and more quizes at the end to see how much you have learned.

The second part of the book is why I am guessing a lot of people will buy it, as it is more concerned with Degree level maths than A-level. It covers all the topics in depth and there are plenty of worked examples.

What amazed me more about this already fantastic book was the free CD that came with it. I wasn't convinced at first that it would be any good, as it just seemed like a freebie, but I loaded it up and was welcomed by all the topics that appear in the book. There were literally hundreds of questions covering all the topics which you can answer and check on screen, with hints and tips, and the relevent working if you get stuck. The free CD goes above and beyond what I expected of the book, and I am imagining that if you were to buy a Maths CD on its own, you'd be looking at another £20-£30.

There is also online support at their companion website, so if you're realy stuck there are even more notes and more questions that you can work through.

All in all if you are in any doubt about buying this book don't be. It is a fantastic resourse and the only one you will need. It will become my Bible in my first year MPhys.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 15 November 2010
Having entered the 1st year of my engineering degree and being recommended a whole list of books and recommended reading materials I was somewhat reluctant to just go ahead and purchase them all, firstly due to the cost running into hundreds if I did so and secondly because I did not think that I needed such a list. Having tests every Friday and the lecturer asking us to revise the material in Engineering Mathematics forced me to go to Waterstones to at least have a look at the book, and I'm glad that I did. If somebody was to say to me that throughout my whole course I would only be able to use one textbook this would honestly be my choice and there would be no close contest, this outshines most textbooks on any subject that I have ever used.

The style used in Engineering Mathematics is unique, at least in terms of textbooks that I have been exposed to, the clear layout and step-by-step method outlining the theory and subsequent hammering into your head through a series of examples increasing in difficulty are fantastic. Learning maths in such a way proved not only to be quick but also enjoyable, where other textbooks may outline a few rules and throw you in at the deep end, you're often confused not due to the complexity of the problems but because you're required to think back to some prior knowledge. Engineering Mathematics is clearly linked so that if you do lack knowledge in a certain area it will guide you to the section of the book which deals with what you need to brush up on.

I'd say that the level of knowledge in this textbook is sufficient for a 1st year undergraduate and depending upon the mathematical content of your specific discipline it may even extend to your second year. Studying Civil Engineering myself I found that it was a mix of the two.

I honestly found no cons at all, I wish that all engineering textbooks were in such a format but perhaps if they were university lecturers would be out of a job. Whether or not this is on your list of recommended reading, I cannot recommend this enough. Engineering and mathematics students alike or anybody studying a degree with a large aspect of maths this should come very useful, covering a large amount of topics that are Further Maths A-Level standard in most aspects and a little bit beyond in others I'd say.

To a student everything is expensive, but compared to other university level textbooks on the market at around £30 this was relatively cheap, and every penny was worth it. Rather than using it a couple of times and then leaving it to gather dust it is fantastic just to pick up and brush up on a topic and so unlike other textbooks I found myself not reselling this but rather keeping it.

In short, great textbook, if you're 1st year engineering and maths definitely worth the money and probably better than the majority of the textbooks on the market even after all these years.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
As a very lazy and boozy undergraduate who missed nearly all his Engineering mathematics lectures, this book got him through numerous exams.

I bought the 4th edition (showing my age) of this book when I was having trouble getting hold of the lecture notes in preparation for upcoming exams. The book proved absolutely indispensable. Recently I had need to refresh my knowledge and this book again came up trumps in reminding me of the basics.

It focuses on getting you able to solve the problems rather than truly understanding. For an undergradute cramming this is a good thing, perhaps for `pure mathematicians' (no pun intended) it is a bit lacking in that capacity or if you actually need to understand the basics to understand a more advanced maths area outside the book.

The book is perhaps not suitable for quickly picking up and browsing a subject because of its sheer size. It must be 4 inches thick, also because of this you wouldn't want to take it away on holiday to study. I have another pure maths book which is 1/3 ' the size which gives a little more theory but far fewer slow and repetitious problems to solve.

If you need a slow and methodical textbook to get you through undergrad Maths exams (especially if you haven't been to any lectures), this will do the trick amicably! The author also has a nice relaxing tone in the bits of written text, which again is welcome as you enter the cramming stage before exams.

For value for money, the course in this book is at least as good as the average series of lectures you'd get in University. Given the rising cost, this must make it the cheapest and highest quality education money can buy!
on 14 May 2007
I first bought Ken Stroud's book back in 1987, and found it extremely useful to help me get through my BSc (Hons) degree in microelectronics and computing.

Now I have bought the 6th edition to help me revise my maths knowledge, and it is helping me already with some post-graduate study.

The programme method really helps in self-study.

The updating has helped keep it current, and it is very readable!!

For undergraduate engineering maths study, this is the book that is a must have!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 30 March 2012
This book has a new method of teaching, I am sure that this is the right one to teach subjects as mathematics, chemistry, physics or informatics. Instead of presenting a tonn of theory to the student, as done in our university ETH Zürich these days, the student is discovering the theory by himself! In those kind of classes, where the professor just writes a lot of theory on the blackboard my brain is just shutting down completely, and I think that only the professor`s brain is working..

Here the author of this book is showing you why this or that method is needed and how it has evolved, your brain is constantly doing something because there are a lot of questions or equations for you to solve.

The most of the equations in that book are a little bit too easy, but you can use it to completely understand the theory before solving the mathematical problems in your exercises!
on 21 February 2008
I have been out of education for 10 years before I started my degree so I was very apprehensive about the maths. This book works wonders especially the DVD you get with it to help problem solve. This is such a well structured book with lots of worked examples.

A must have for Engineering students
on 13 November 2009
This HUGE book offers extreemely detailed analysis of all areas of Enginerring MAthematics, with the main bonus being that they don't expect you to have an A in A-level mathematics. In fact, they teach you from basic addition and subtraction, all the way up to complex numbers, determinants, and Laplace Transformations. Hence why it's so big!

A great book to have as a reference and offeres an online CD with hundereds of example questions for each individual section. It really is a good book and worth every penny!

Hope this helps!
on 2 May 2011
I purchased this book for my son who is on a 4-year foundation year degree in Civil Engineering at Bolton University. The lecturer in mathematics uses this book and having bought it we can see why. It is so clear and helpful with worked and practice examples and has been an absolute must for my son to obtain more knowledge and confidence in this subject, above all, that needs to be mastered for a successful civil engineering degree and successful future career in civil engineering.
on 8 November 2012
This book will not TEACH you mathematics if you already do not know some of it.
However, it is a great reference book which will clarify maybe some confusing aspects and help jog your memory in need. Especially useful for Physics or Maths students.

One reason for giving it 4 stars is that for such a huge (therefore heavy) book, missing hard-cover is really troublesome (can warp easily unless supported from both sides or lying flat on the shelf).
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 23 December 2014
Superb instructional book. I can't sing its praises enough.

Allows the reader to interact with the lessons. It is particularly useful from the viewpoint of quick revision of the topics.

A tremendous resource for students by providing them with a solid basis for their studies.

Ken Stroud passed away a few years ago but his legacy, in the form of his books, lives on.

Highly recommended.