5.0 out of 5 stars Elvis Has Left The Building
I couldn't resist ordering this book, and I am glad I did. Ideal for you to read to little children, and then for them to read when they sart to learn how, this should also raise a chuckle from adults as well.

Marge and Lola, two chickens, want to win tickets to go and see the legendary Elvis Poultrey in concert. All they have to do is enter the local talent...
Published on 18 Sep 2010 by M. Dowden

3.0 out of 5 stars Funky chickens
Published on 1 Mar 2011 by Adam

3.0 out of 5 stars Funky chickens, 1 Mar 2011
Adam "Say something about yourself!" (Dunton, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Hmmm. Hard to know exactly what ages this is for. A group of sneering ducks challenge Marge and Lola, our chicken heroines, to a talent contest. The chickens seem to constantly come unstuck in whatever they try. Will they find their groove? I read it to my 5 year old boy and he laughed at some of the visual gags but was not sure at the end of it all. This is because, for a 5 year old, it has quite an extended vocabulary (wattles, crest, talents) and whilst these can be explained it slows the pace of the story. And how many 5 year olds will get the Elvis Poultry character? Some of the delayed gags can also puzzle early readers (cows jump over the moon early on, to come crashing down to earth at the denouement).
In the story's favour, it does have the rythms and repetitions of a good childrens story, and the illustrations and writing can come together to make a colourful, witty and warm and engaging story of triumph in the face of discouragement.
Recommended for 6-8 years, I would say.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 10 Jan 2011
Dr. D. E. Goldwater "dodiceleedoo" (Bushey, Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book was a bit of a disappointment.

It did not capture my 5 year old's imagination at all. It did not appeal on an adult level as so many books in this genre do.

The paintings are great and the story flows but it just did not do it for me and the rest of the family.

Sorry!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Equal Billing - illustrator and writer., 28 Dec 2010
debbie8355 (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This edition is a really large size paperback and as much thought has gone into the illustrations as the story. If at first you skip to the text (as I did on first reading) the story dosn't make sense and you have to back track. The is a book to savour with silly chickens trying to win a farmyard talent show and Elvis the rooster makes an appearance. There are dance illustrations, chicken feet style, to try out if you fancy doing some Strictly moves.
It's an o.k. read but perhaps one to look out for in the library than buy. It didn't capture the imagination of any of the preschoolers I childmind although my 8 year old son enjoyed reading it to himself once.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice and chirpful, 22 Dec 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Well illustrated book, easy to read and follow, eliciting a laugh and a giggle, with a dance to end on. Enjoyable and good fun.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy the Chicken Dance, 16 Dec 2010
Rob S "Rob S" (Conwy, North Wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Purchased this for my 6 year old boy who has finished reading the Peter and Jane books so and I thought this may challenge him a little.

The books illustrations are very good, my boy said they were fantastic.
The story was okay, finished a little quick.

At the back of the book there are illustrations on how to dance like the chickens which was a bit of fun.
This is a great book may be not one that we will keep reading but still one we will keep.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amusing book, 18 Nov 2010
Mrs. Z. L. Reynolds "surfingbernard" (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I thought that this was a very nice book and the illustration is superb, but perhaps the jokes are aimed more at the grown-ups as most kids of the target age probably have little or no knowledge of Elvis even if they know who he was. I also thought it was written in a way which found myself 'translating' slightly for my 5 year old to make it easier to understand. Still it was a very enjoyable book, entertaining and beautifully illustrated with very funny pictures. It can't be put in the same class with the Gruffalo or Room on the Broom but I would still recommend it, particularly to Elvis-loving parents.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun story line with the added element of some dance steps, 28 Oct 2010
Ferris "Ferris" (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My oldest loves Xfactor and Britain's got talent so to hear that barnyard animals also enjoy a talent contest she was very interested to find out how Marge and Lola would get on. A well illustrated engaging storey and the regular use of the words "bawk" and "bawked" kept my two laughing start to finish.

A fun story line with the added element of some dance steps which kept my two interested and keen to come back to this book again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book worth flapping about, 25 Oct 2010
Grr "Gumbo" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I ordered this book as I could not resist the cover illustration and I am so glad I did. Chicken Dance tells the story of Marge and Lola two farmyard chickens who want to win the barnyard talent contest and get tickets to see Elvis Poultry in concert. Will they be able to achieve their ambition or will they have to admit defeat to the mean ducks and prove once and for all the chickens don't have any real talent?!

This is a great book for adults and children alike, the illustrations are fun and quirky and the story is simple enough for young children to be able to follow but with enough in it to entertain the grownups around too (I know I laughed out loud at one point) You can also learn to dance along with Marge and Lola by following the illustrated steps in the book so everyone can be a bit of a funky chicken. I often find that many children's tales are too saccharine and sweet for my tastes but this book provides a lovely balance between story with a message and a bit of fun. A really lovely book that everyone will enjoy.

All told, a very worthwhile purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Watch out Elvis Poultry is in the barn!, 9 Oct 2010
Jessie (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The story is great - move over X Factor it's the Barnyard talent show. Who's better hens or ducks! The illustrations are fantastic, really nice style.
A lovely picture story book suitable for ages 3-7. I would recommend this I'm sure it's going to become a bedtime story favourite in my house.

Chicken Dance
Chicken Dance by Tammi Sauer (Paperback - 22 Oct 2010)
Used & New from: £0.30