5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good at age 42 as it was when I was aged 4, 25 April 2009
This review is from: Richard Scarry's The Great Pie Robbery and Other Mysteries (Hardcover)
I purchased this book to introduce my 4 year old son to the wacky world of Richard Scarry.

The Great Pie Robbery was my favourite Richard Scarry book when I was a young boy 38 years ago and its as fresh today as it was all those years ago.

The stories are fast paced and very funny. The pictures loosely follow the words and have a level of detail and humour all of their own. This helps to make the book a charm for beginners and experienced readers alike.

Dudley's crazy driving and Sam's accidents always get me and my son laughing!
Dudley jumping to conclusions before all the facts are known teaches children how not to jump to conclusions in a very easy to understand way. Sam is smarter but his broomstick causes mayhem page after page!
And the disguises are hilarious!

This book belongs on every children's bookshelf. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not read yet, but looks like an engaging short-story hardback, 11 Feb 2012
I wasn't wild about these books when my little girl had this book for her 3rd birthday almost a year ago now. However they have grown on my and have definitely grown on my daughter - the Richard Scarry books she received are a hit! Until an hour ago, when Amazon parcel arrived, we had 2, 'Bedtime Stories' plus 'What do People Do all Day?' Though my daughter loves pink, baking and threading necklaces, I would not describe her as a 'girly' girl, preferring gymnastics, dens, trampolining and finding worms in the garden, she is going through a little phase right now at 3 and three quarters of wanting these books every night for her bedtime story. The books are good, with pages busy with quirky and detailed little spot colour illustrations which children like to scrutinse to see what comical mis-haps they can spot, though my husband gets a little irritated by the Americanisms like 'asphalt' for tar, 'faucet' for tap, and 'dumpcart' for refuse van, etc. I'm now in the habit of simply replacing the Americanism with the English term when I get to that word when reading aloud so that she understands.

'Bedtime Stories' in particular is a really handy book to take on a journey when you need to travel light, like on a Ryan Air trip, as it is so very small, thin and light (about 8"/20cm each way, and 15 pages long). It means that for the sake of carrying one book, you get 5 little stories to read:

~ Sergeant Murphy and the Banana Thief (you guessed it - that Gorilla Bananas)
~ Ma Pig's New Car (bit silly this one - Pa Pig is made out to be ridiculously absent minded accidentally repeatedly getting into the wrong vehicle on the way home until she ends up with a 'power shovel' - that's a digger to you and I)
~ Uncle Willy and the Pirates (thieving rats (pie-rats...) are foiled by Uncle Willy as they try to steal his home made pie)
~ The Unlucky Day (Just about everything that can go wrong for Mr Racoon does go wrong)

Today, I bought a handful of other Richard Scarry books as birthday gifts for a 4-year old boy's party later this afternoon. Would concur with another reviewer that the 'Funniest Storybook Ever', which has 11 stories in it, 5 of them are the identical 5 which feature in 'Bedtime Stories', though there are also 6 more, namely:
~ Talking Bread
~ The Accident
~ Please Move to the Back of the Bus
~ Uncle Willy and the Pirates
~ The Unlucky Day
~ Lowly Worm's Birthday - which is longer than the others and seems to be the grand finale!
So, actually this makes Funniest Storybook Ever a really good value buy, just be careful you don't unintentionally duplicate by buying Bedtime Stories though.

'Cars and Things that go' - many pages of lots of different types of vehicle, with their names beside them (some of those are Americanisms) - with a thinish storyline running through it - as this is a gift for someone else, have not sat down to read it with my daughter but I think it less likely she would enjoy it so much due to the lack of story to engage with. Little boys who love vehicles however (like today's Birthday Boy, probably will enjoy it). There are occasional quirky little drawings of crashed cars etc in it.

Also bought 'The Great Pie Robbery and Other Myseries' - this is for my daughter, am saving it for her birthday. A nice quality book. Glancing through, I think she will enjoy it - it is hardback (so heavier) and the stories are perhaps v slightly longer than usual - or maybe just a little more spaced out in the pages. Perhaps it is unfair of me to score it 5 stars before reading - will amend my review at end April 2012 if I find it to be less deserving of this accolade!

Finally, the one she already has (Birthday Boy is also going to receive) 'What People do all day, is also a very good book, looking at different professions, daugher really enjoys it, stories being:
~ Everyone is a worker
~ Mothers work is never done
~ Sergeant Murphy of the Busytown Police Department
~ Firemen to the Rescue
~ A visit to the hospital
~ The train trip
~ Wood and how we use it
~ Digging coal to make electricity work for us
~ Building a new road
~ Water

Apologies for the repetition, but I am going to post this review on the pages for all the books I have listed herein.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3 Nice long stories that my child won't stop reading, 15 Sep 2013
Brilliant!! Not short like some of the Scarry stories. There was suspense, smart problem solving as we'll as good prevailing over evil which I believe is appropriate for this age group (3+)

4.0 out of 5 stars Still one of my favourite children's books, 13 Feb 2012
J. Benson - See all my reviews
I loved these stories as a child and have just bought a copy for my own child. There are two big attractions: Firstly, a fast-paced detective story; secondly Richard Scarry's amazing illustrations. The stories themselves feature two clumsy detectives, there is plenty of visual humour (bad driving, characters getting stuck in windows etc) as the detectives race around trying to catch the thieves (and getting it wrong). The detail and humour in the pictures is another reason we keep coming back to these stories - there's just so much to see! It's typical of Scarry's work (if you have seen any of his many other books) and unlike anything else I have seen for children. This version is written in American English and I have to keep converting the language, hence a small one star deduction! Suitable for 4 years plus, I would estimate.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply great fun stories with strong humour and charming art, 11 Oct 2011
Bought for my 6 year old daughter after she'd borrowed one of the stories within it from the library and loved it. You'd have to be humourless not to enjoy it as an adult too. Great for the 4-7 year group as stories to read to them (as there are so many small accompanying illustrations) and for them to read to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still brilliant, 14 July 2011
Roland J. Hall (London) - See all my reviews
This book is superb and my four-year-old loves it as much as I did thirty-something years ago. Classic Richard Scarry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage, 20 Dec 2013
I was asked to get this book by my son as he loved them as a child
For his daughter .they live in Sweden so a little bit of vintage has gone
To Sweden

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book but not enough stories, 8 Jan 2013
Love the book but only three stories. Thought there would be more, my 4.5 year old loves the two we have read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Great Pie Robbery, 13 Mar 2012
Fabulously funny stories by Richard Scarry as an alternative to a classic bedtime read e.g. fairy tales! Excellent quality hard-back version complete with an ex libri for a child to write its name into!

5.0 out of 5 stars Books for grandchildren, 5 Nov 2011
After a gap of 35 years the Richard Scarry books are as good as I remember them from when my sons were young

Richard Scarry's The Great Pie Robbery and Other Mysteries
Richard Scarry's The Great Pie Robbery and Other Mysteries by Richard Scarry (Hardcover - 1 Nov 2008)