5.0 out of 5 stars Embark on a Lateral Adventure
Published on 3 Oct. 2006 by Simon

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish Puzzles
The puzzles in this book are barely worthy of the name. They're mostly poorly told jokes that rely on you being able to draw conclusions from useless scraps of information. I'm a big fan of puzzles, including lateral thinking puzzles, but these just don't even fit that definition.

Don't waste your money.
Published on 6 Mar. 2012 by A. I. Hutchings

5.0 out of 5 stars Embark on a Lateral Adventure, 3 Oct. 2006
This review is from: Cunning Lateral Thinking Puzzles (Paperback)
I have been an avid fan of lateral thinking puzzles from youth upwards. There are a number of "classics" that you come across over and over. If I were to mention the albatross, midget and countless dead bodies, you might know what I mean! However, here we have a compilation of brand new puzzles to satisfy our appetites. These are bright and fresh from novel ideas but they remain faithful to the classical formula. They have the vital lateral twist and retain the ability to leave you either clapping one hand to your forehead in dismay or brimming over with triumph when you succeed.

The variety is of puzzles is worth a mention. There is a wide range of scenarios, including a good number taken from real life. Some are relatively easy whilst an equal number are very difficult. There is something for everyone here - it should suit most tastes.

This book is ideal for entertaining your family or friends for an evening indoors or on a long journey. It will grip their attention, stimulate their imagination and test their lateral thinking skills, in search of the solution.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish Puzzles, 6 Mar. 2012
A. I. Hutchings (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews

Don't waste your money.

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't worry - Jeremy Paxman won't snear at you, 21 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Cunning Lateral Thinking Puzzles (Paperback)
I can understand some fellow reviewers' frustrations with this book but I think it's just down to the fact they probably found these puzzles pretty difficult to fathom. The clue is in the first word of the title, these are not standard puzzles but "cunning" ones. I wouldn't attempt these alone. I'd say they're better for a team to use together as part of "team-building" and people development (or with a group of friends over a bottle of wine or two). This book is the paperback equivalent of University Challenge for me - fascinating, frustrating and I only got a handful of the answers. If you used the book in its purest form, you'd just use it to have a bit of fun and stretch your thinking a bit (the reason it's so hard is because or mind's are wired to think a certain way and it requires effort and practice to think otherwise)... and don't worry so much about getting the answer right. Just notice how it alters the way you think.
After all, Jeremy Paxman's not there to snear at you if you get a puzzle wrong.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good., 28 Feb. 2010
This review is from: Cunning Lateral Thinking Puzzles (Paperback)
Love the book, the riddles are outrageous and funny. Takes some very serious thinking and often random thought. Good read :)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Thought It Would Be, 19 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Cunning Lateral Thinking Puzzles (Paperback)
I recently purchased this book as I wanted to improve my lateral thinking skills. I have only taken a brief look at this book but looking at the first few puzzles they are quite random. Previously mentioned the answers are very 'obscure' and I found myself looking at the back of the book for the answers because the question was so ridiculous and I wondered whether it actually had a answer!. I would like to have a closer look at this book but first impressions has put me off slightly.

2.0 out of 5 stars A bit too lateral, 21 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Cunning Lateral Thinking Puzzles (Paperback)
I was hoping for something like the Mindtrap game, engaging puzzles that you can read out to each other at family gatherings or on long journeys. I was disappointed.

This book is just weird. There are riddles which can have a million different solutions and you have to guess which one they mean. There are other riddles which are so easy it's absurd.

1.0 out of 5 stars Complete Rubbish!, 9 Feb. 2009
J. Ivory (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cunning Lateral Thinking Puzzles (Paperback)
I bought this book for my husband as we both enjoy lateral thinking puzzles. But we found that most of the puzzles answers were completely obscure and there would be no way that you could guess the answer from the clues given in the puzzle, which is surely the whole point. We actually ended up throwing the book in the bin as we got so annoyed with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous puzzles, 13 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Cunning Lateral Thinking Puzzles (Paperback)
I already own this book so knew what was inside but needed to share it with a friend so rather than parting with mine, I bought them their own and it arrived very quickly.

1.0 out of 5 stars Random and Obscure, 16 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Cunning Lateral Thinking Puzzles (Paperback)
Bought this book for our family, we found many of the puzzles to be obscure and not at all lateral thinking. We are returning the book, very disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Problem solved!, 9 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Cunning Lateral Thinking Puzzles (Paperback)
Bought this product for a friend's birthday. He loves riddles and is always testing new ones out on me so I thought i'd get him some new ones! He loved the book as it was something different and more thoughtful than something like a CD. Great for a small gift idea!

Cunning Lateral Thinking Puzzles
Cunning Lateral Thinking Puzzles by Des MacHale (Paperback - 1 Feb. 2007)
Used & New from: £0.01