Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 30 September 2010
What can I say - it's a puzzle book.

I find it hard to find puzzles at the right level of difficulty. So often, the sort of puzzle books you can buy on the high street are simply not challenging enough. But these are just perfect. They require a pen and paper, and peace and quiet to concentrate - and give you a buzz of satisfaction when you finally get there.

And if you can't quite work it out, there are fully explained answers at the back. One little feature I really, really like (someone has given this a lot of thought), is that the answers are not printed in the same order as the puzzles - so you can't accidentally read the answer to the next puzzle when looking one up.
on 15 November 2005
I found this on Mensa's best books list and so ordered it through this site. It only took a few days and since it arrived I have very much enjoyed working my way through the puzzles. They're solvable but some of them still need a bit of thought. And looking at the ones at the end (which I've yet to reach), some of those jobs around the house are gonna have to wait a while!
on 25 August 2011
This will keep you occupied for hours and will really test those little gray cells! The puzzles get progressively harder but how difficult you find them depends on what sort of a thinker you are. The only criticism is that the puzzles are not as varied as I would have liked, for example, many of them are the kind where you are given only a a few specific pieces of information to be able to put the items in their correct order. However, there are others which are very original and I particularly like the ones where you have to work out who is telling the truth and who is lying before coming up with your conclusion - a bit like a whodunnit!
I didn't work my through the puzzles in order, I just did the ones I fancied doing and when you are on an eight hour flight, this is exactly what you need to keep you busy.
If you do find a puzzle has twisted your melon to the point where you are reaching for the Nurofen then the answers are in the back of the book!!!
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 21 March 2015
I can't quite figure out the most ridiculous aspect of my recent experience with this book. You would think it was the fact that I literally (and I do mean that word in its, well, 'literal' sense) could not solve ANY of the puzzles. That would be bad enough. But I'm afraid that the, rather pathetic, notion I continue to have that my brain is some sort of 'sleeping giant', for which a book like this could yet provide some sort of stimulating entertainment, might just be worse.

My brain obviously is sleeping - it seems to be a veritable Rip Van Winkle - but it's clearly never going to be referred to as having gigantic proportions. Not by any sane person. And not even in Lilliput.

I know it says that there are different sorts of puzzles involved here but, to my very untrained eye, they all seem to follow the same kind of format. Typically, you are given several statements which relate to a situation and, evidently if you have the sort of agile mind that can analyse those statements properly, somehow you can figure out the answers using logic. Or guesswork. Or the solutions, which are to be found at the back.

I intend to give this work the credit it so obviously deserves for being a collection of 67 Challenging Logic Puzzles. Because it's hardly the book's fault that I'm thick, now is it? I feel sorry for it actually: written by the holder of a Masters degree in Quantum Mechanics, sent out into the world fully intent on helping people sharpen up their minds... only to end up on the bookshelf of a man like me. It's a tragic tale all round.

I feel even worse for having so far completely wasted the time of poor Barry R. Clarke, the man behind these puzzles. He went to the trouble of compiling them. He, very thoughtfully, arranged them in ascending order of difficulty so that (in theory at least) folk could work through them in an organised manner. And he even enlisted the help of one Rob Collinet whose fine illustrations help remind me that, although it might personally feel as though I'm being beaten about the head with a baseball bat, most people will find ploughing through this volume to be a pleasantly stimulating experience.

I did actually work my way back from the solutions to one or two of the earlier puzzles - and I could definitely see how those answers were arrived at. Unfortunately, that seems to have convinced me that, simply by sitting and staring at these pages, something miraculous will eventually happen. It's the sort of masochistic streak, destined to leave me feeling woefully inadequate, that might also help to explain why I continue to keep in close contact with my ex-wife.

Trying to rate this book here on Amazon is quite problematical. Anything less than four stars would simply draw attention to the, seemingly irrefutable, fact that I am denser than a bowl of custard. On the other hand, I can't give this work five stars: even if, from an intellectual point of view, it probably deserves them. No. Because for me to give this work five stars would be to signal to the universe that I enjoy pain.

And if that isn't a cosmic invitation for HMRC to take an interest in me, then I don't know what is.
44 comments|10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 November 2015
A glossy, slim book and not very big but will no doubt enable the recipient to pass a few absorbing hours.
on 4 December 2013
Small book with very repetitive puzzles !!!
Once the main technique is mastered, there not much to add to a very limited pleasure.
on 12 December 2013
bought as a gift for my father who loves puzzles he said was very good and a challenge for him said he would recommend
on 2 June 2016
Was a little disappointed with the puzzles but arrived early
on 21 November 2015
Brilliant for puzzle and crossword lovers
on 29 January 2015
Extra Christmas gift for a puzzle buff, told it is a diversion from crosswords or sudoku.