5.0 out of 5 stars Heart-breaking and courageous
Last year I wrote Trafficked: The Diary of a Sex Slave to try and raise awareness about trafficking, so after my research for it I was expecting a lot of the horrific ordeal that Sophie describes in her book, but many others will not be. The truly scary thing is that trafficking is a huge global problem, and yet many people aren't aware of it, or they often assume that it...
Published on 27 Jan 2012 by Sibel Hodge

1.0 out of 5 stars Give it a miss.
Shocking story, poor girl. However, it may have been better written by a Ghost Writer. Extremely drawn out. I am glad I didn't pay for the book and was lent it only.
Published 12 months ago by S. Smith

‹ Previous | 1 2 340 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Not that good, 4 Dec 2012
This didn't really engage me and whilst I feel awful about what happened the writing style didn't engage my empathy. I wouldn't really recommend it as a read as it became a bit tedious. Sorry.

2.0 out of 5 stars I didn't enjoy it., 23 Nov 2012
Not a good read, quite boring , surprisingly considering the subject matter and it being based on a true story. I would not recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Truly heartbreaking, 7 Sep 2012
I found this book truly sad, that a girl could be so conditioned to believe exactly what she was told and to allow herself to be brainwashed and forced into this life. I disagree with reviewers who say that this is a book of fantasy and exageration, and think this is a real insult to Sophie who has been strong enough to write this book and get her life back on track. However, I also agree with the reviewer that it seems a contradiction that she is prepared to risk her life by writing this book and speaking so publicly about the issue yet is unprepared to press charges, however I guess only someone who had lived her life would truly understand this.
All this said the first 57 pages could have been done in a quarter of this as talked about Sophie's previous life, and much, I felt, was not really relevant, the remainder of the book also repeated itself a little, but that said I guess the experiences were repetitive also.
I am glad that I have read this book as it cast I whole new light on the issues raised.

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my views on MANY things. Would definately reccomend., 8 Aug 2012
I picked this book at random due to the name taking my attention. Not only did it change my views on many things, it also gave me a lot more knowledge as to what trafficking is. When getting into this true story, i couldn't help but forget it was a true story and was completely gripped the whole way through. Then when reaching the end, it became completely realistic again and it really does make you realise that it can happen to anyone and that trafficking is real and does happen in the UK. I had no ideaa that this is wht trafficking was like and i really didnt think that it was as bad as this, but WOW. It so is and i hold my hands up to Sophie Hayes and her family.

I feel for Sophie Hayes but am so amazed at the guts that she has to talk about this and inform other people on the subject.

As i said it has completely changed my views on many things and has made me think completely differentley in certain situations. I would reccomend anyone to read this book, as this is not my normal kind of book but again as said before, i was gripped.

Finally, knowing that there is someone out there trying to stop such a disgusting and bad thing helps me to sleep at night, not everyone is bad eggs and there are amazing/good people out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Think it will never happen to you, or your daughter? Think again!!, 5 Mar 2012
Sex Trafficking is a Crime Against Humanity! Yet this criminal enterprise is an under-reported abomination that is shrouded in shadow and secrecy. Very few people are even aware that Human Trafficking, or Sex Trafficking, even exist; let alone that combined, they are the second largest criminal enterprise on our planet. Those in the west, that are aware, suffer from the misconception that only those in third world and impoverished countries are at risk. The truth as evidenced by Sophie's harrowing account, is that it can happen to anyone, anytime, anywhere!

I am in awe of Sophie. After escaping her brutal enslavement, she could very easily have faded into the obscurity of perpetual victim-hood, her story forever buried under a mountain of shame and psychological damage. Yet this young women has had the courage and strength to share her very personal account with the world. Sophie's narrative shines a very personal and focused light into the shadowy world of sex trafficking, thus bringing invaluable awareness to the rest of us. Her book will, I believe, make a profound difference in this world, by giving insight, and spreading awareness.

You will be shocked, you will cry, you will be very very angry, and at times you may feel extremely uncomfortable reading Sophie's words, but this is a story that had to be told, one that must be read, and should shared with everyone.

This is a book that every young woman, indeed, every parent, ought to read.

I applaud Sophie's strength and bravery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected story and very moving, 29 Feb 2012
I only read this as it popped up on my kindle as a recommended read. Certainly not my usual action thriller! This book took me by surprise. Sophie's story is tragic and inspiring and has highlighted a dark high street secret and who would think it could happen to a girl like Sophie. I would recommend this book and encourage everyone to support the plight of so many young and vulnerable girls.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 26 Feb 2012
This is one of the most amazing books i have ever read, i could not put it down. What this poor girl went through was beyond words.How she kept going god only knows. Tears came to my eyes more than once, you would not think one human being being could be so cruel to another human being. It would have been the perfect ending if she had got her revenge but i understand why she did'nt.She is a very brave lady and thankfully has a fantastic family around her.

4.0 out of 5 stars Harrowing but inspirational read, 23 Feb 2012
This is not a light or easy book to digest (as you'd expect from the title). However, it is an amazing insight into how as human beings, we can overcome even the most appalling experiences and still rebuild a new and different life.

Sophie writes in a compelling and honest way and does not hold back with her descriptions of her trafficking experience. Yet, she is never sensationalist or gratuitous and answers many questions that her story undoubtedly provokes - such as 'why didn't she take the opportunities to escape when there was a glimmer of a chance she could get out'? Scarily and chillingly, this demonstrates the power and control exerted in a toxic and abusive relationship.

Moreover, this could happen to anyone. Sophie is an intelligent, sensible and strong young woman, yet she was totally conned by a man she believed loved and cared for her and yet, felt powerless to stop it all.

That Sophie wrote this book and has continued to work through her terrifying ordeal is testimony to her amazing strength and fortitude. We should all take note.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trafficked, 21 Feb 2012
Harrowing account of every day young woman bring trapped and abused, hard to read at times, very descriptive, read the book in two sittings as so gripping and real.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reality Check, 5 Stars, 16 Feb 2012
Being a Computer Science student this isn't the type of book I personally would be reading. However, recently I decided to change my reading habits. This was an extremely brilliant decision, this book keeps you in suspended, giving you that feeling of always wanting to read more. Anyone who has heart should read this book. The fact it is a true story really makes you wonder.

Great Book. 5 Stars.