3.0 out of 5 stars I WAS NOT OVERLY IMPRESSED, 10 May 2012
L. Sims "Linda" (The south) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
"Mad Rob" MacLaren steals Elspeth Stewart right out from under her bridegrooms nose. His intent is revenge. Rob holds Lachlan Drummond responsible for his wife's death. He means Elspeth no harm, he wants to challenge Drummond to one to one combat.
What Rob had not realised when making his plan, is that Elspeth is a living breathing person, and her distress is his near undoing. As they journey together they start to become closer.

This started with real promise, but that did not last. I soon started to find that this story lacked any real substance. It didn't help that it contained one of my pet peeves, where either the H or h, are still in love with a dead partner. Here it was Rob's dead wife, and true to form the subject of "Rob's Fiona",reared to life constantly throughout the book. Even in the numerous sex scenes Rob's dead wife was brought up. This resulted in me never really being convinced of true love, certainly not from Rob. That being said there were some of the usual hallmarks of this authors hand in the very plentiful sex scenes. Although the story in general lacked her usual passion. All in all I was a little disapointed with this, it was only okay. I think I prefer her earlier work. The book is a collaboration between CM and another author and it shows IMO. Maybe for readers who have never read CM before this might not matter, but for those of us who are regular readers it was noticeable.

3.0 out of 5 stars I agree with the previous reviewer - this is not the CM of old., 6 Jun 2012
ROROBLU'S MUM "ROROBLU'S MUM" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Linda Sims has reviewed this pretty well, so I won't cover the book in detail, but I will say that IMO, it lacked the passion that CM is known for.

It felt as if the romance in this tale just happened as it's a romance novel, but I didn't feel the love, and I thought that the declarations came too soon. I didn't count the love scenes, but I did think that they were lukewarm and fewer than usual - and I did also think that they needed a few more baths before sex, after days and days on the road! Oh, and Mad Rob? Not mad enough, should have been Mad, Bad And Dangerous To Know...

Overall, she's no longer an author I will buy, though I have pretty much all of her books on my Keeper shelf, but she seems to be available in my library, so I may just try out her next, due in Jul 2012, Lord Of Fire And Ice, a viking saga.

Sins of the Highlander
Sins of the Highlander by Connie Mason (Mass Market Paperback - 1 April 2012)
5.99