5.0 out of 5 stars I liked this but it took time. (Edited review)
I didn't enjoy this the first time as I thought Georgiana wouldn't have spent time alone with a man after Ramsgate. However I persevered and thoroughly enjoyed it. Shows you shouldn't give up too easily. Enjoyed the author's other books so should have known better. I have given it 5 stars as the story makes up for the areas I have problems with. Still recommend it! I have...
Published on 12 Mar 2011 by Hazel Mills

3.0 out of 5 stars There's only one Jane Austen
Not actually a bad book but I wish I had carried on with my intention to avoid Jane Austen follow-ons. It's very difficult for one author to imitate another's style and this didn't work for me

The secret was obvious and it was equally obvious that there would be a twist. I found myself skimming towards the end and not enjoying the use of language.
Published 14 months ago by Patricia M. Straughan

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-written and engaging!, 20 Sep 2012
This review is from: Mr Darcy's Secret (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book - it was very interesting to watch our spirited heroine assume her duties as Mrs Darcy and Mistress of Pemberley, and Mr Darcy was as loving and lovable as I've come expect. The language was in keeping with the era, and I thought the characters were very much 'in character' - it was fun to see that Lizzy is still forthright, Darcy is still reserved (although his wife does 'loosen him up' a bit), Georgiana is still shy, Caroline is still catty, Lady Catherine is still self-absorbed, Mr Bennet is still sarcastic, Mrs Bennet is still silly, etc etc. But it never felt like a rehash of the original novel - Ms Odiwe did a great job of taking the story forward in a way that felt fresh and engaging.

The book is about Darcy and Elizabeth getting to know each other on a deeper level as a married couple, and discovering new things (good, bad and in between) about each other - and about themselves. I loved the fact that Darcy is not magically transformed into some sort of 'perfect man' by Elizabeth's love - this book is much more realistic in that he's still human and flawed (as is Elizabeth, although her flaws are altogether different), but he is learning to be willing and humble enough to accept his mistakes when confronted with their truth, and learning to have a change of heart when it's called for - that's what knowing Elizabeth has done for him, and it's beautifully depicted in this story. I really loved all the Lizzy/Darcy scenes - Ms Odiwe wrote them with a beautiful, deft, subtle hand, and those are the scenes I enjoyed the most. I appreciated the tastefulness and restraint with which Ms Odiwe depicted the love and intimacy of the Darcys' relationship as man and wife. I also really enjoyed the Bennets' (and Bingleys') first visit to Pemberley - again, beautifully written, and one of the most effective scenes is between Elizabeth and Jane - their closeness is one of my favourite things about P&P, and it was depicted so well in 'Mr Darcy's Secret'.

There is a sub-plot about Georgiana's love-life, and while I thought the author did an excellent job of 'sketching' Georgiana's character (I loved her affinity for art and gentle nature), I was a little less satisfied with this part of the book than the rest of it - I thought the resolution, in particular, was a trifle facile. But that's just me, and maybe I'll look at it differently when I read this book again. Also less than satisfying for me was the sub-plot with Caroline Bingley and the artist at the Lake District - those scenes, though intended for humour (I think), were just a little over the top for my tastes, and felt unnecessary.

But those are minor quibbles really; on the whole I really enjoyed this book - the 'secret' of its title was slowly and effectively unfolded, and used as a device to show the reader the nuances of the Darcys' relationship - and to help them grow as a couple and to learn more about each other, and I really appreciated that. This is definitely one of the better P&P-based novels I've had the pleasure of coming across, and I will definitely be revisiting it to savour my favourite scenes over and over.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mr Darcy's Secret, 19 Feb 2013
I wasnt sure about this - but thought I would give it a go. I quite enjoyed it really - we all wondered what the future held for Lizzie and Fitzwilliam, being both such strong characters. I think it captured what could have happened quite well and I enjoyed the ongoing saga with Lady Catherine! I think JA would have been quite pleased with this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mrs Darcy's Dilema, 13 Mar 2011
This review is from: Mr Darcy's Secret (Paperback)
Jane Odiwe writes with great skill and knowledge to produce a novel with all the tones, nuances and wit of Jane Austen . What a joy it was to immerse oneself in this delightful romantic mystery. It was a privilege to be party to the Darcy family's more intimate moments as well as their grand excursion to the "lakes". I particularly loved the description of the Spring countryside, and the bunch of violets was a perfect touch! A very enjoyable read. Well done Ms Odiwe.

3.0 out of 5 stars There's only one Jane Austen, 7 May 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful to read from start to finish, 30 May 2013
I couldn't wait to finish this book, but only because I'm stubborn and it was so bad. There is no warmth between the Darcys but rather everyone else telling us how happy they are while they spend their time arguing in private and being petty. I like the initial idea that Darcy doesn't turn over a new leaf altogether, it would naturally take time, but what happened to Colonel Fitzwilliam having shared guardianship over Georgiana? That essential element is missing altogether (to make the story work) so it just doesn't feel right.

There's also the issue of writing style; the author has a preference for putting people's thoughts in speech marks. Eg (not used in the book but in an attempt to carry my point) everyone is having tea in the parlour when Mr Darcy accidentally drops his cup, as he bends to retreive it "look at the way your trousers go taut around your manly thighs when you bend in that way, Mr Darcy" thought Lizzy. You're already miles ahead thinking, surely she didn't just say that out loud? when actually, no she didn't. Very misleading and it makes you have to reread everything.

Wish I hadn't bothered with this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars an easy read, 25 Jan 2014
I have to say that I enjoyed this book while I was reading it but it is not memorable. One month after finishing it, I cannot remember what Mr Darcy's secret was. I don't think I am suffering from memory problems but quite simply it is a little bit of chick lit., which rides on the popularity of Jane Austin and, in my case, nostalgia for the the characters from Pride and Prejudice. I read it knowing that it wouldn't be of the quality of Jane Austin's writing and because I wanted something relatively light but interesting/ different. I read the reviews of the many other books that also try to take up with these characters from the point that the original novel ends. I am glad I did this because I think this book is probably better than most and I would have been tempted to read Death in Pemberley, having just watched it on the TV, and because the author is a well known crime fiction writer. However, from some of the reviews I realised that Death in Pemberley had qualities that would have driven me crazy, mainly anachronisms of speech and milieu.

All in all, this book was relatively well written but is light weight and is not a book I would ever reread, unlike the book on which it is based.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother w, 24 Jan 2014
The plot loses it's way halfway through. Seriously everyone suddenly in The Lakes. Don't bother folks. Not JA in any way.

Mr Darcy's Secret
Mr Darcy's Secret by Jane Odiwe (Paperback - 25 Feb 2011)
7.64