3.0 out of 5 stars Crazy, but strangely brilliant., 6 Feb 2012
The Demon Librarian (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hold Me If You Can (Mass Market Paperback)
This series continues to be completely insane in the most entertaining way possible. This time we have a heroine that has chocolate related super powers of influence and persuasion. And a hero that is a human weapon factory with a penchant for sketching portraits whenever things get a little tense. Completely and utterly mad, but immensely enjoyable.

Nigel Aquarian, our hero, is the third warrior of the original four who escaped from the DWP. No, not the Department of Work and Pensions, the Den of Womanly Pursuits. A place where men are trained (read: imprisoned and tortured) to become better, more manly men, yet also sensitive to a woman's every need and schooled in the art of seduction by way of poisonous spikes to the testicles.

I did mention the mad part several times so you can stop looking at me like that.

Our heroine is Natalie, the Sweet we met in the last book who is a former victim of a Deedub bite. Think of Deedubs as demonic leprechauns who bite Sweets - people with chocolate super powers... Come on, keep up - who then slowly become stronger and more outgoing until they eventually die from some sort of dangerous activity. Like they might believe they can fly so they jump out of a window...stuff like that. *sigh* It's all perfectly straightforward really.

If you have found any of the above descriptions amusing in any way I urge you to read them because they are really fun as I've said. It will take a certain sense of humour to truly appreciate these books and I know they won't be for everyone. They are kind of like The Fantastic four meets Monty Python. Crazy, but strangely brilliant.

3.0 out of 5 stars not so good, 31 Dec 2013
I love Stephanie Rowe, I really do...but this one...not so much.

the third in the paranormal Soulfire series, it tells of Nigel and Natalie. Nigel is a warrior freed from Angelica's Den along with his friends. Natalie is Sweet, she creates and helps humans and paranormal with chocolate. Deedubs LOVE Sweets, and Natalie has survived and Deedub bite, something unheard of.

When Nigel draws (quite literally) his team mates back into the Den, he and Natalie are faced with their worst fears and have to join forces to save Pascal and Blaine.

it was soooooo hard work, this book. lots of deep soul searching, which came across as a little flat, to me, anyway. I even left it half way through and read something else and came back to it!

it does help if you have read the previous two, however there is very little back story in this one, so I would recommend it. I also feel maybe Rowe should leave these warriors to their own devises, and let them be. THAT SAID, I do wonder about the reaction of Christian to Ella, right at the end. and there is obviously something between Pascal and Danielle to be told.

Hold Me If You Can
Hold Me If You Can by Stephanie Rowe (Mass Market Paperback - 1 April 2012)