5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It
I loved this retelling of Pride and Prejudice. I couldn't put this one down and had to read to the very end in one go just to find out how the author was going to bring them back together.

Published on 12 Oct 2011 by Mrs. Leanne A. Lingwood

3.0 out of 5 stars Does Elizabeth know her place?
Liked the premise for this adaptation, whereby Mr Bennett has passed away and his family are turned out of Longbourne by Mr Collins. Elizabeth becomes a governess in London to a family acquainted with Mr Bingley and Mr Darcy and so is thrown into their company again, but at a very different social level. What will Darcy do?

I found the plot to be interesting...
Published on 22 Nov 2011 by Barleygold

3.0 out of 5 stars Does Elizabeth know her place?, 22 Nov 2011
This review is from: Only Mr Darcy Will Do (Paperback)

I found the plot to be interesting and original, but the Americanisms, for an English reader, were doing my head in. Not sure if I should get over it - the book is written and edited in the States after all - but there are also various errors in detail that were annoying and detracting too. American writers, if you want someone to look over your manuscripts, I volunteer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It, 12 Oct 2011
Mrs. Leanne A. Lingwood (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews

It was very well written and could well imagine this happening if Mr Bennet had died. Mr Darcy is surprising Elizabeth all the way through the book with his demeanour and shows a different side of him to her. But she knows her place is further down the social divide and she could never expect him to want her still. But Mr Darcy would never let anything get in his way especially when Elizabeth is concerned and soon finds a way to bring her back into his life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely read, 6 Oct 2011
I am a big fan of what if stories of P&P. I truly enjoyed this novel. The governess idea introduces some interesting considerations. I have read other books from this author, they are all worth the time. This story was so lovely. It was well written, the characters very credible. I loved how Darcy managed to have Elizabeth at Pemberley. I wholeheartedly recommend this story.

4.0 out of 5 stars A lovely read!, 8 Jun 2011
Well what can I say, many Jane Austen fan fiction books have republished their work under different titles, it may be slightly annoying but if you read the synopsis you can generally determine whether you have already read it.
I really enjoyed the book, it is a great what if. Written with thought to the period and the etiquette...ie not too x-rated. With many of these fan fiction books there are some Americanised words, although not as many as others.
Darcy is portrayed as a caring intelligent character (not too overly emotional and broody) and Lizzy is a little too angelic, I missed some of her feistiness. I liked the fact that they didn't just work it out in the first couple of chapters, there was suspense and longing which makes it more pride and prejudice like.
An enjoyable book, I had to read it more than once :0)

5.0 out of 5 stars Nicely written, some funny moments, 15 Jun 2014
It's a great story in which Elizabeth becomes a governess but the aunt of her charge fancies none other than a certain tall gentleman from Derbyshire.
Very nicely written and loads of excitement. For once Elizabeth falls for Mr Darcy quite soon but she doesn't lose her spirit or sparkle either.
Definitely worth a read and I look forward to more from this author.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must for Austen fans., 6 Mar 2014
This is very well written, subtle and gentle nods to the original story whilst being very readable. I enjoyed it immensely.

5.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read!, 9 Jan 2014
Once I started this book I was unable to put it down! A really enjoyable read!

In this book we meet the Bennet family after the death of Mr Bennet and the family have divided in their move from Longbourne. Elizabeth is working as a governess and therefore even more unsuitable as a match for Mr Darcy.

In the main parts of the story we meet a variety of new characters and the book is written in a such a way that all provoke a strong reaction. Of course we meet some of the original characters who behave very much in keeping with the way Jane Austen created them.

Unlike many other Pride and Prejudice variations, this book does not have sexual content which kept the characters behaviour more in accordance with the spirit of the times. The book is written so that we are in no doubt of the passion between Darcy and Elizabeth but without much of the story given to numerous sexual scenes.

I recommended this book to those who enjoy Pride and Prejudice variations, and if you have never read one before this would be a good book on which to start.

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting take on the classic, 1 July 2013
This review is from: Only Mr Darcy Will Do (Paperback)
I have now read quite a few Pride and Prejudice variations, and once again I was not disappointed with Only Mr Darcy Will Do. I had already read and loved Darcy's Voyage. I look forward to reading Pirates and Prejudice and Assumed Engagement, also by Kara Louise.

I liked the basis for this story; I had always wondered what might happen to the Bennet girls had the Collins' moved into Longbourn. Jane and Lizzy having to become governesses is very believable and very likely what would have had to happen had Mr Bennet died. It was sweet that the Gardiners took Jane for a governess to their children, meaning the family was not too split up and that Lizzy's position allowed her to visit Jane and her aunt and uncle on her days off. I enjoyed seeing Lizzy as a governess and how she would fair in such a position, not having had a governess herself (much to the surprise and disapproval of Lady Catherine!) Mrs Bennet, Lydia, Kitty and Mary were hardly in this story which was a nice change.

The characters were once again portrayed faithfully and there were some wonderful new additions. I particularly enjoyed Darcy's other cousin, Mr Hamilton. In many variations Colonel Fitzwilliam is a favourite character to develop further and bring into the story more, however in this variation, this part was given to an equally as amusing and fun character, Mr Hamilton. Colonel Fitzwilliam does make an appearance in the story, but mostly this Mr Hamilton takes the (what I will call) `Colonel Fitzwilliam limelight'. He was a very loveable character, just like Fitzwilliam, and is a great addition to the story and anytime he was around, I was laughing!

Having just said how Colonel Fitzwilliam is not in the story as often as in some variations, he does make an appearance and the small part he plays is an important and rather sweet role. I won't say anymore!

Another wonderful character was Emily, the little girl to whom Lizzy is governess. She is a wonderful little character! Her relationship with Lizzy is adorable and you could see they have a very strong bond. Emily was almost like a young Lizzy; her character discernment and ability to asses people's feelings from their facial expressions was very reflective of Lizzy's own abilities. I could see Emily growing up to become a very witty and lively girl, just like Lizzy is.

Georgiana was another whose character was developed further and that was great to see. We see how she fairs being the hostess of a party of people invited to stay for a few weeks. Her friendship with Lizzy and how that develops with Lizzy now being a governess was interesting and there were times when you could see how much Georgiana depended on and was grateful to Lizzy. There was one scene I particularly enjoyed; Lizzy was teaching Emily on the piano when Georgiana comes along to listen, and before long Georgiana takes over the lesson and starts teaching Emily, and very successfully, I might add!

I think my favourite addition to the story, character wise, was Rosalyn. She seemed like a lovely character, until it became clear that she had her sights set on Darcy! Having Lizzy have the competition for Darcy instead of Darcy having the competition was another interesting twist with this story. As well as this, Rosalyn provides the possibility of feeling a little sympathy for Caroline Bingley! I never thought I would be able to feel sympathy for her, of all people! When it is discovered that Rosalyn is aiming for the highest prize in the marriage market, Darcy, she very quickly dissolves into a scheming, false and annoying woman, and the friendship between her and Lizzy had built up quickly disappears! Does this mean that Caroline was once a friendly and reasonable woman and that is was her want to marry Darcy that turned her to what we see in the story? Maybe... but then again maybe not! But it does make you think that maybe the wonderful marital prize that is Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy of Pemberley turns all the woman, who set their sights on him, into scheming and manipulating and generally horrible woman! Of course, Lizzy never planned on marrying Darcy and so she never undergoes this character change, unlike Rosalyn and (maybe) Caroline!

As in Darcy's Voyage, there are some iconic scenes that we know from the original which are included but, of course, have twists thrown in; one of my favourites in this story was the classic argument between Lizzy and Lady Catherine! All I will say is a few more people get involved in the argument...

One of my favourite parts of the original story is when they run into Darcy at Pemberley and we see Darcy, the levelheaded, kind and sensible master of Pemberley. As this is one of my favourite parts it was great to see more of this relaxed Darcy. There were many times when Darcy's care and concern for his tenants was clear; especially when there is a flood and Darcy allows all those whose houses are in danger from the water to stay at Pemberley (as well as climbing a tree to save one of the little girls cats from being drowned!) As well as seeing his care for his tenants, you also get to see Darcy's more relaxed and fun side. This is shown through a multitude of different acts and conversations; among my favourites was a treasure hunt designed by Darcy for his guests!

Finally onto Lizzy and Darcy; I don't want to give too much away but the story is full of romance as well as trials and tribulations for the two. Darcy is not bitter and his pleasure at seeing Lizzy again is clear and he does everything in his power to treat her with civility and show her how her words had affected him. Lizzy begins to realise how strongly she may have misjudged Darcy and how much of a mistake she may have made in refusing him over a year ago! Through important and revealing games of chess, morning walks round Pemberley and accidental meetings in rather personal places Lizzy comes to understand who the real Fitzwilliam Darcy is and why so many woman do fall for him!

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, 24 May 2013
This P&P variation grips you from the beginning. I like that both Darcy and Elizabeth are humbled, and the story drags you in to try and work out how they will eventually come together.

I particularly like the account of Pemberley. Having read the original more times than I care to remember, as well as a lot of sequels and variations, in addition to seeing all film and tv adaptations available, I thought my imagined view of it to be quite fixed. Instead I find here that Pemberley is described in such a beautiful and tangible way that it comes to life and feels as though you're actually there.

I was also impressed by the author's choice of using her own words in certain situations where others would just have slotted in the original text. This again added to the freshness, as while the scenario might have been familiar, there was a new edge to it, which merged nicely with the overall writing style.

A very enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good book, you'll like it!,, 29 Mar 2013
This review is from: Only Mr Darcy Will Do (Paperback)
Kara Louise is very good at creating different stories and sets that are not in P&P, and this book is another example.
The story line is completely different from P&P.
After her father's death, Elizabeth becomes a governess of a family acquainted with the Darcy's. The plot goes from that and it is very interesting, captivating and well written.
The characters are the very similar to the ones Austen created, so we fall in love with the same Mr. Darcy and still feel we are reading about the same Lizzy Bennet. What I love about Kara Louise's books is that we can actually see an Elizabeth Bennet truly in love with Mr. Darcy and wanting him to want her. This happens once more in this book and is simply delightful!
I really enjoyed this book and I believe most readers will to.

Only Mr Darcy Will Do
Only Mr Darcy Will Do by Kara Louise (Paperback - 25 Mar 2011)
9.48