Published on 12 Sep 2009 by J. Lesley

3.0 out of 5 stars The Last Book in the World...
Published on 13 July 2010 by victorianwannabe

3.0 out of 5 stars The Last Book in the World..., 13 July 2010
This review is from: Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy (Pride & Prejudice Continues) (Paperback)
I'm not sure about this one. I have to admit, I do love the thought of someone doing a Jane Austen variation/sequel/prequel, but nothing has ever really blown my mind, and do we all remember that painful collection of words that was published under the title of 'Mr and Mrs Fitzwilliam Darcy, Two Shall Become One'? This book isn't like that, thank goodness (!!)... but it's not Jane Austen either.

Elizabeth doesn't seem like the Elizabeth we all know and love in this, although, much to the writer's credit, I think she has captured Darcy very well. I just don't see Elizabeth as the type to be tearing up every five pages, nor was she the type to 'give way' as much as she does in this book...Jane Austen wrote her far too spirited for that. I can't help but recall how taken aback Lizzy is when she learns about Charlotte's reasons for marrying Mr Collins. Is it possible that she can now act in the same way? Austen's Elizabeth has more backbone than that, and would have told Mr Darcy exactly what he could do with his proposal, even if he had kissed her infront of onlookers and so compromised her.

It wasn't slushly, however, which was brillaint, although Elizabeth does fall in love with Darcy a little too quickly to make it believable, (I'm all about the chase), even to all of us dedicated Austen fans out there. I'm also not a fan of disecting what happens in the bedroom, I'm certainly a close the door on the reader kinda girl... There are bits in the book which are very preditcable, some which are just too far fetched to make it a really comfotable read...

If this story was perhaps just a regency romance about the struggles of Joe Bloggs and his wife, I might have enjoyed it more, so maybe the fact that Reynolds made it about two of the most beloved characters in English Literature is what I'm stuggling with.

All this said, I think there will be many people who will love this book, and read again and again. I won't, but I certainly dont think it was a waste of my time or money that I read it. I suppose that's the real issue here, that all people are different, we all have different thoughts and images in our heads as to what Darcy and Lizzy should look, be, or act like, and this was Abigail Reynolds interpretation of what she thought would have happened if Lizzy had said "Yes" to Darcy's proposal the first time round.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, 2 Sep 2008
K. Holt - See all my reviews
If this wasn't billed as a Pride and Prejudice variation, firstly I wouldn't have bought it (the power of association!), and secondly, I would probably have enjoyed it.

As a Pride and Prejudice add on, it was unbelievable, the characters were as unlike the originals as defied belief, and it contains a lot of seemingly unnecessary sex and jaw-droppingly bad misunderstandings. This is all very well and a bit of fun in your standard regency romance, but please, not when the author is suggesting alterations for one of the most famous books of all time.

To be fair, Reynolds is putting herself at a bit of a disadvantage by linking herself to arguably one of the greatest authors ever to have written, but she should give herself some credit - stop hanging on the coat tails of Austen and write something completely her own.

By all means buy this book, as far as regency romances go this is plenty of fun, but pretend that this Darcy and 'Eliza' (Lizzy, surely!) are nothing to do with the originals.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read this book if you can say, "I wonder what would happen if.........", 12 Sep 2009
J. Lesley "(Judy)" (United States) - See all my reviews
I decided this past summer to give myself a treat and re-read all the Jane Austen books which I like best. In doing so I also discovered many, many selections for what I call take-offs. This book is one of the ones which caught my attention so much that I wanted to read it. Since then I have found many variations on this particular theme. This book remains one of my favorites.

I had never before read anything written by Abigail Reynolds. I chose this particular title because the dialogue in Pride and Prejudice from which the story is taken has always been a huge favorite of mine. Lizzie and Darcy really let their hair down during this scene and I have always wanted it to go on longer. Now I had my chance. I really appreciate the way Ms Reynolds handled this interaction between my two favorite literary characters. I willingly accepted her Darcy. Elizabeth was a little harder for me to fall in step with. I wondered if the reason Elizabeth found herself engaged to Mr. Darcy was quite strong enough. Would MY Elizabeth not have straightened out the problem immediately with one of her tart, straightforward statements? Perhaps. But, as I continued to read I was more and more willing to accept THIS Elizabeth and her actions.

I have to say that I don't think I have ever read a book where the main characters (Elizabeth, Darcy and Georgiana) misunderstood each other so often as they do here. Austens Elizabeth would have asked a lot more questions to clear up details. Alas, this Elizabeth (nor Darcy, nor Georgiana) asked enough questions. I finally had to let go of my pre-conceived notions and just accept these characters as written. From there on out I felt better.

I enjoyed Ms Reynolds depictions of Pemberley. I liked the book as a whole and fully intend to get the other books in the series. I think that says a lot for my enjoyment level. I am probably not what most people would consider an Austen purist so this book was a good, entertaining read for me. If you insist on any author staying completely faithful to every word written by Jane Austen, you are never going to be happy with this or any other variation on the canon. My opinion is this, if you can allow yourself to imagine "what if..." then this book will most likely give you pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!! *****, 30 April 2008
Rachel Wilson - See all my reviews
This has to be one of the best 'What if' style pride and prejudice books i have read. Abigail Reynolds' ability to capture the reader with her own wit and intelligence brought a new emphasis to the Darcy marriage.
A very well written book based around Elizabeth's feelings when she enters into marriage with Mr Darcy with no affection. It does not only show how Mr Darcy character improves but also shows how Elizabeth comes to regret her treatment of Darcy.
The only small disappointment was that i felt Georgiana Darcy was slightly out of character in her behaviour toward Elizabeth. All of the other characters however, are exactly like Jane Austen described.
A spellbinding book with suspense from start to finish. It is certainly a book that you have to read in one sitting. It is only a shame that there are not more pages!
A definate MUST buy!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 4 Dec 2013
Normally I love this authors work, but this wasn't her best work. It was a good story, but it dragged on and lacked her usually charm, humour and sensuality. It seemed that it was longer book and they shortened it by taking out a lot of the story. It seemed full of holes, jumping from one thing to another and was very repetitive in places. Not the best P&P work she has done.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed it but..., 9 Sep 2013
I enjoyed this book and would recommend it but it is only 245 pages long and for the first 222 pages, Darcy and Elizabeth are not on the best terms, they only get together and understand each other for the last 20 pages!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Story, Could not put it down., 29 May 2010
Lynne Robson "Lynne" (Dronfield, Derbyshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
It is a wonderful engaging story and has you thus from the first page. Elizabeth is forced to marry Darcy and at first she is resentful, even Georgiana can see that she does not hold her beloved brother in any affection. As the story unfolds Elizabeth sees the man behind the mask.

5.0 out of 5 stars her best novel to date, 21 May 2014
This is definitely my favourite P&P variation. I love how plausible a story it is and how she has managed to stay true to the essence of the characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 8 Jan 2014
I have often wondered about that first proposal, and whilst the way Reynold's writes it isn't the way I first imagined, it is brilliant.

An excellent read and I literally couldn't put it down whilst reading. Very well done

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent variation and a surprisingly good read, 4 Jan 2014
Kept me page turning throughout. Thought the slant on the original story was what made this book interesting and unique.
Without giving
away any of the plot it is sufficient to say that the infuriating twists and misunderstandings were what kept the interest going in, my case anyway.

Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy (Pride & Prejudice Continues)
Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy (Pride & Prejudice Continues) by Abigail Reynolds (Paperback - 25 May 2010)
6.39