Published on 12 Sept. 2009 by J. Lesley

3.0 out of 5 stars The Last Book in the World...
Published on 13 July 2010 by victorianwannabe

3.0 out of 5 stars The Last Book in the World..., 13 July 2010
This review is from: Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy (Pride & Prejudice Continues) (Paperback)
I'm not sure about this one. I have to admit, I do love the thought of someone doing a Jane Austen variation/sequel/prequel, but nothing has ever really blown my mind, and do we all remember that painful collection of words that was published under the title of 'Mr and Mrs Fitzwilliam Darcy, Two Shall Become One'? This book isn't like that, thank goodness (!!)... but it's not Jane Austen either.

Elizabeth doesn't seem like the Elizabeth we all know and love in this, although, much to the writer's credit, I think she has captured Darcy very well. I just don't see Elizabeth as the type to be tearing up every five pages, nor was she the type to 'give way' as much as she does in this book...Jane Austen wrote her far too spirited for that. I can't help but recall how taken aback Lizzy is when she learns about Charlotte's reasons for marrying Mr Collins. Is it possible that she can now act in the same way? Austen's Elizabeth has more backbone than that, and would have told Mr Darcy exactly what he could do with his proposal, even if he had kissed her infront of onlookers and so compromised her.

It wasn't slushly, however, which was brillaint, although Elizabeth does fall in love with Darcy a little too quickly to make it believable, (I'm all about the chase), even to all of us dedicated Austen fans out there. I'm also not a fan of disecting what happens in the bedroom, I'm certainly a close the door on the reader kinda girl... There are bits in the book which are very preditcable, some which are just too far fetched to make it a really comfotable read...

If this story was perhaps just a regency romance about the struggles of Joe Bloggs and his wife, I might have enjoyed it more, so maybe the fact that Reynolds made it about two of the most beloved characters in English Literature is what I'm stuggling with.

All this said, I think there will be many people who will love this book, and read again and again. I won't, but I certainly dont think it was a waste of my time or money that I read it. I suppose that's the real issue here, that all people are different, we all have different thoughts and images in our heads as to what Darcy and Lizzy should look, be, or act like, and this was Abigail Reynolds interpretation of what she thought would have happened if Lizzy had said "Yes" to Darcy's proposal the first time round.

4.0 out of 5 stars Read this book if you can say, "I wonder what would happen if.........", 12 Sept. 2009
I decided this past summer to give myself a treat and re-read all the Jane Austen books which I like best. In doing so I also discovered many, many selections for what I call take-offs. This book is one of the ones which caught my attention so much that I wanted to read it. Since then I have found many variations on this particular theme. This book remains one of my favorites.

I had never before read anything written by Abigail Reynolds. I chose this particular title because the dialogue in Pride and Prejudice from which the story is taken has always been a huge favorite of mine. Lizzie and Darcy really let their hair down during this scene and I have always wanted it to go on longer. Now I had my chance. I really appreciate the way Ms Reynolds handled this interaction between my two favorite literary characters. I willingly accepted her Darcy. Elizabeth was a little harder for me to fall in step with. I wondered if the reason Elizabeth found herself engaged to Mr. Darcy was quite strong enough. Would MY Elizabeth not have straightened out the problem immediately with one of her tart, straightforward statements? Perhaps. But, as I continued to read I was more and more willing to accept THIS Elizabeth and her actions.

I have to say that I don't think I have ever read a book where the main characters (Elizabeth, Darcy and Georgiana) misunderstood each other so often as they do here. Austens Elizabeth would have asked a lot more questions to clear up details. Alas, this Elizabeth (nor Darcy, nor Georgiana) asked enough questions. I finally had to let go of my pre-conceived notions and just accept these characters as written. From there on out I felt better.

I enjoyed Ms Reynolds depictions of Pemberley. I liked the book as a whole and fully intend to get the other books in the series. I think that says a lot for my enjoyment level. I am probably not what most people would consider an Austen purist so this book was a good, entertaining read for me. If you insist on any author staying completely faithful to every word written by Jane Austen, you are never going to be happy with this or any other variation on the canon. My opinion is this, if you can allow yourself to imagine "what if..." then this book will most likely give you pleasure.

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, 2 Sept. 2008
K. Holt - See all my reviews
If this wasn't billed as a Pride and Prejudice variation, firstly I wouldn't have bought it (the power of association!), and secondly, I would probably have enjoyed it.

As a Pride and Prejudice add on, it was unbelievable, the characters were as unlike the originals as defied belief, and it contains a lot of seemingly unnecessary sex and jaw-droppingly bad misunderstandings. This is all very well and a bit of fun in your standard regency romance, but please, not when the author is suggesting alterations for one of the most famous books of all time.

To be fair, Reynolds is putting herself at a bit of a disadvantage by linking herself to arguably one of the greatest authors ever to have written, but she should give herself some credit - stop hanging on the coat tails of Austen and write something completely her own.

By all means buy this book, as far as regency romances go this is plenty of fun, but pretend that this Darcy and 'Eliza' (Lizzy, surely!) are nothing to do with the originals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!! *****, 30 April 2008
This has to be one of the best 'What if' style pride and prejudice books i have read. Abigail Reynolds' ability to capture the reader with her own wit and intelligence brought a new emphasis to the Darcy marriage.
A very well written book based around Elizabeth's feelings when she enters into marriage with Mr Darcy with no affection. It does not only show how Mr Darcy character improves but also shows how Elizabeth comes to regret her treatment of Darcy.
The only small disappointment was that i felt Georgiana Darcy was slightly out of character in her behaviour toward Elizabeth. All of the other characters however, are exactly like Jane Austen described.
A spellbinding book with suspense from start to finish. It is certainly a book that you have to read in one sitting. It is only a shame that there are not more pages!
A definate MUST buy!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I've read in ages, 14 Jan. 2013
This is another of Abigail Reynold's Pemberley Variations books, which looks at what might have happened if something in Pride and Prejudice had been different. The 'what if' here was what if Lizzy had no choice in accepting Darcy's first proposal? This book starts around the time that Lizzy is visiting Charlotte in Kent in P&P. In one of her rambles round the area she meets Mr Darcy and he proposes to her (in a similarly offensive manner to P&P). He assumes she will accept and kisses her and they are observed. So not only can Lizzy not vent her anger on him like she does in P&P she is forced to accept his proposal or she would be ruined in the eyes of society and her sisters chances of making good or even ANY marriages would be ruined with her.

She goes back to Charlotte who gives her prudent counsel; she has to marry Darcy, so she needs to keep him as happy as possible, as she'll be completely under his power as his wife. So Elizabeth and Darcy start out married life on the wrong foot - she is married to 'the last man in the world' that she ever wanted and he has no idea that his wife doesn't care about him. Of course, he doesn't remain in ignorance of this fact...

One of the things I really liked about this book is the things from the original that happened another way in this story - in P&P Lizzy finds out about Wickham's lies, what he tried with Georginana, Darcy's reasons for his interference between Bingley and Jane, the fact that he is a much better man than she had realised and then when she thinks she's lost any chance with him she realises that she loves him. All the same things happen here.

There is much more angst and misery in this variation than in P&P, it's certainly not the happiest book you can find, but I thought that Abigail Reynolds did a great job of it. I felt awful for them both for a large portion of the book, he is heartbroken and guilty at the fact that he could have ruined her happiness forever by assuming her agreement to his proposal, and she feels guilty at misjudging him, and guilt at his heartbreak, my stomach was in knots with pity for them both for a large portion of the book. I've read quite a few of Reynold's books, so I generally like her stuff, but this is my favourite of hers so far.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 4 Dec. 2013
Normally I love this authors work, but this wasn't her best work. It was a good story, but it dragged on and lacked her usually charm, humour and sensuality. It seemed that it was longer book and they shortened it by taking out a lot of the story. It seemed full of holes, jumping from one thing to another and was very repetitive in places. Not the best P&P work she has done.

4.0 out of 5 stars Might have been the mood I was in but I couldn't put it down!, 29 Mar. 2013
Ok so I was in a bit of a down in the dumps mood but once I started to read this I got sucked right in!
You have to get it into your head that this is not just a re-telling it's a 'what if?' So, you come into the story part way, follow it for a bit then go off on a complete tangent. The turning point was a bit (well....very) contrived and then Elizabeth needed to have a bit of a personality change to follow her new path and for a while Darcy was detestable and blind but then it got really interesting. Oh, and there's sex - so if,for you Elizabeth and Mr Darcy don't have sex then you're not going to approve but before you rule the book out, at least in this one it's not pre-marital sex. Try it. I did and on the whole, I liked it. I think I'll try another by the same author.

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed it but..., 9 Sept. 2013
I enjoyed this book and would recommend it but it is only 245 pages long and for the first 222 pages, Darcy and Elizabeth are not on the best terms, they only get together and understand each other for the last 20 pages!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Good Read, 23 Sept. 2012
What would have happened if, instead of refusing Darcy the first time he proposed, Elizabeth accepted. That is the premise behind this Abigail Reynold's "variations" book. Absolutely brilliantly written and was unable to put the book down. I loved the nuances and the difficulties faced by both Elizabeth and Darcy in overcoming their pride and the prejudices which, instead of happening before they were married, now happen after they were married. An inspired piece of writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fan Fiction, 3 Nov. 2009
As a huge fan of fan fiction I was happy to see Abygail Reynolds publish some of her stories. I have read several of her works online and am happy to buy hard copies of the ones she has available. Though many 'what if...' senarios are available not many writes are as good as she is. This is a good read based on what would have happened if Elizabeth had had to accept Darcy at Hunsford, and how they eventually came to the same understanding they had by the end of JAs classic.

Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy (Pride & Prejudice Continues)
Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy (Pride & Prejudice Continues) by Abigail Reynolds (Paperback - 25 May 2010)