Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 June 2010
Finally we get to hear Mr Darcy's version of what happened. It was so good to read about his feelings. Truely romantic and a gentleman :)
on 17 December 2010
if you had given P+P to a sixteen year old and asked them to rewrite it from Darcys' standpoint, allowing them liberty to include implausible sources to update him as to the happenings in Hertefordshire while he was absent you would have this result. there are vast reams of the book quoted directly from the original and overall it was as rushed as though indeed written by this teenager anxious to get to the pub.
on the plus side it was a very easy read (if you have read P+P you have already read half of it) and was very loyal to the book, there were no obvious bloopers in it and the language was apt.
its an easy quick read but a pale imitation of Pamela Aidens' rewrites
on 10 June 2010
This is a delightful book and I really enjoyed it. I've read other books based around Pride and Prejudice and the characters don't always feel right but the characters in this story really worked for me.
I would recommend it for any P and P fan.
on 4 January 2013
this isn't so much of a review as a tale of pride. Mary street was my paternal grandmother and I am extremely proud to be her granddaughter. Her love of books has been transferred from her to me and whilst I was growing up she would always have a funny tale to tell me before bedtime. I just wish she was here to read all of your feedback but I know that she'd be appreciative of it anyway. R.I.P grandma.
on 13 October 2010
This is a really good read and goes well with the orginal Austen book. The author has written very much in the style of Austen and it gives an insight into what was behind Darcy's reactions to the situations going on through the various stages of the relationship with Elizabeth.

If you like Pride and Prejudice you will like this and trust me you will not be able to put it down.
on 13 May 2007
I just recently bought the book (ordered it from the UK) and I finished reading it two days. It is an awesome story.

Street kept true to Austen's character sketch of Mr. Darcy while giving us an alternate view of who he was and what was going through his head. I really appreciated Street's interpretation of the change Darcy went through after Elizabeth's dressing down during the first proposal.

I highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone.
on 14 April 2013
I would wholeheartedly recommend this book for any Pride and Prejudice fan. It is well written and captures your imagination immediately. Whilst some of the situations are different it was interesting to read from Mr Darcy' s viewpoint. I was not disappointed and will be looking for more books written by same author.
on 1 April 2013
As an Austen fan I was a bit hesitant and had never been tempted to read any of these follow ons but I felt it remained true to the story with frequent quotes and as a Darcy fan (of course!) I didn't feel that it changed any of my image of the original storyline, I couldn't put it down!
on 7 February 2016
I enjoyed this very much. It is really no more than Pride & Prejudice told through Darcy's eyes, but it is well done and, unlike others I have read, fairly convincing. The only slight issue I would take with the storyline is that Darcy really does seem as arrogant and unpleasant as Elizabeth first believes him to, up to the point of the proposal at Hunsford when he begins to mend his ways. In the original, the interlude with the housekeeper at Pemberley makes it fairly clear that was not really the case (but of course this part is excluded from this book as Darcy would not have been privy to it).However, overall I found this a very satisfying read, although if you prefer the more outrageous P&P offerings, it is probably not for you.
on 7 September 2014
This is definitely one of the best P&P adaptations available, in my opinion, and I thoroughly recommend it!
It is well written and in a style wholly suited to P&P, making it a plausible and enjoyable read, and one far superior to many of the P&P adaptations out there!
At last we get inside Mr Darcy's head. We are treated to a view of the whole tale direct from the man himself, since it is written in the first person. Now we are given all the reasons WHY he says and does all that we read of him in the original P&P, gaining personal insight into the delightful, charming, and not, after all, insensitive, man behind the haughty mask.
It is a book I could (and probably will) read again and again.