Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 January 2007
At last some other Austen heroes are emerging from Darcy's shadows! Though the meddling Emma has appeared to attract much less popularity than the lively Miss Bennet of the "fine eyes", it is a welcome relief to turn to a rather different Austen character, whose crtical eye seems to be supported by the narrative voice, as opposed to the properly "humbled" Mr Darcy.

Mr Knightley's diary is a good read, though one might wish for a more polished style, offers some very humorous passages, which is rather unexpected from the righteous hero, and makes a valiant effort to recreate an Austenian climate throughout the telling. I enjoyed it enough to wish to go on to "Darcy's Diary", though I might have preferred a more natural masculinity in the voice of the narrator. His world seemed to be as limited to the small society around him as that of any Victorian heroine, his life consisting of mending fences, playing cards, and paying social calls. Very nice ending though, I quite warmed to the book as the story unfolded and would have been very sorry to leave it unfinished.
on 5 November 2009
As a fan of Austen's novels I generally enjoy sequels of these books, if read with an open mind (and with a lower expectation of the writing style than a true Jane Austen novel) I think they can be a great way to expand on the stories we know and love. I have read Mr Darcy's Diary and found it to be a good read and was excited to read Mr Knightley's Diary as he is my favourite male Jane Austen character. The book is simple to read, as a fairly quick reader it took me about 6 hours in total. I would have liked more detail in this book and in places I felt it just copied paragraphs from the original novel with the occasional thought of Mr Knightley's interjected. I was also slightly disappointed with the tone of the book, and I felt it did not quite tie with the tone of Mr Knightley in the original novel. Having read Mr Darcy's diary I actually felt the tone of the two books was fairly similar which surprised me as the two characters are so different. In this book Mr Knightley's main occupation seems to be to take a wife (and not necessarily Emma), which did not quite sit right and seems to be quite the opposite of his attitude in the original novel, but then perhaps this is the authors attempt to provide the reader with a 'behind the scenes' feeling and to try and reveal what she sees as showing Mr Knightley's true colours. Overall I was a little disappointed and didn't feel the book stayed true to what I feel is Mr Knightley's character, but still a charming read for Austen sequel fans and a valuable accompaniment to shed a different light on to the novel Emma.
on 26 July 2014
Perhaps the most honest opinion I can give is to say it was a little disappointing, I thought Mr Knightley was portrayed as a bit of a desperate suitor and his behaviour was not what you would expect of a thirty seven year old man. Most of the other characters appeared to me like they had been watered down and had lost their sharpness and colour. I must admit to skipping through towards the end.
on 16 June 2012
This book makes Mr Knightley, who in Emma is very open and involved emotionally, appear dull and middleaged. The only good bits are where the lines are lifted straight from Emma, and they make the rest look dull.
on 30 October 2015
What a great idea, to retell a well known story from a different perspective. Mr Knightley is portrayed as the 'knight in shining armour', exactly as I always perceived him, but with a humorous portion of little flaws that make him even more endearing. Nearly a must-read for anyone who loves Jane Austen's Emma.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 December 2007
Experience Jane Austen's EMMA through the eyes of her hero.

MR. KNIGHTLEY'S DIARY takes us through a year of his life as he writes about his estate life, visiting with the neighbors, dinner parties he must attend, and his daily encounters with Emma.

These encounters range from enjoyable moments, to moments where he wishes her to grow as a person, and finally to things he wishes would happen between the two of them.

If you're a Jane Austen fan or you've read EMMA, then this latest Jane Austen diary from the male perspective is a must read.

Reviewed by: Jennifer Rummel
on 17 January 2012
Having always been intrigued by the character of Mr Knightley, I was determined not to raise my hopes too high when reading this appendix to Jane Austen's classic novel.

My first observation is that Amanda Grange has done a great job of adopting the tone, diction and style of the original author.

In terms of the character of Mr Knightley himself. I share the concerns of a previous reviewer that Grange's Mr Knightley seems to be hell-bent on pursuing matrimony to anyone even remotely marriageable. He even makes it a New Year's resolution! This hot-blood seems rather at odds to the cool, sanguine nature of Austen's "Mr K". Similarly, his apparent short-sightedness with regard to his obvious attachment to Emma - which is not-so-subtly hinted at by a gentleman at his London club - rings especially false when considering the insight and intellect of the original character.

However, having said that, his motives and justifications for pursuing Emma towards the latter half of the book do ring true. Also the explanation of his kindness to Harriet Smith sheds a fresh light on the misunderstanding of attachment between the two. The introduction of the character of Mr Longridge and his attachment to Miss Bates is both well-written and satisfying.

To conclude, I found myself enjoying this book far more than I dared to hope. If you are an open-minded and fair Austen afficionado, then you will certainly appreciate the efforts of Amanda Grange.
on 22 July 2010
It's an interesting conceit but that's not enough to sustain a whole book.
There isn't really much effort on the part of the author to recreate the flavour of Austen's prose or match her Mr Knightley's character to Austen's. He has a very abrupt change of mind late on in the book when he decides his interest in Emma is more than brotherly whereas my reading of Austen is that he knew much sooner than that but was waiting for her to notice and reciprocate.
on 31 December 2012
Have you ever wondered about when Knightley began to realise his feelings for Emma? Or how he began to realise? Or how about seeing the true feelings he felt whilst Frank Churchill was winning his Emma?

Well, this will answer those questions and many more besides! I was unsure about reading a story taking on the classic Jane Austen novels as I did not want them ruined. But, I am glad I took the plunge and read them as they did not ruin the originals, it gave some great background and new depth to the classic characters!

I always wondered when reading Emma when Mr Knightley really did begin to fall for Emma and how his feelings developed, so it was great to have this answered. She captures Knightley's raport with Emma perfectly.
on 18 August 2010
I really enjoyed reading this version of events from "the other side". I couldn't put the book down and highly recommend it. It is written very well and captivates the imagination.