5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars
Very Good!
Published 2 months ago by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a reference book to keep
I'm confused as to the purpose of this book - it is supposed to provide etymology and origins of words, or act more as a casual dictionary?

There are definitions of English mustard (mustard), english breakfast (a large fry) and English Breakfast tea (surprisingly, tea). To me these words are nouns, not phrases.

I suppose I should have guessed that it...
Published on 16 Sep 2009 by J. Cronin

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a reference book to keep, 16 Sep 2009
J. Cronin "dudara" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Phraseology (Paperback)

I suppose I should have guessed that it might not be the best when I saw the defition of the phrase "pushing the envelope" that features on the cover. "A pilot's term for flying an aircraft at or beyond its reasonable limits". That's the definition alright, but what about the origin as promised at the top of the cover?

I went straight to the definition of one of my favourite phrases - "mind your p's and q'". Kipfer gives the definition as being an admonishment used by teachers monitoring students' handwriting. There's no mention of two other widely-accepted theories. Firstly, a warning to typesetters in the days of printing presses when the letter 'q' did not feature its characteristic tail, and hence could be mistaken for a 'p' in reverse. The second hails back to the days of drinking pints and quarts in public houses and recording of such on the slate.

For me this was the acid test, and the book failed it.

Ultimately, it's a novelty book, and you probably will learn something from it. But you'll probably be better off searching on the internet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Sep 2014
This review is from: Phraseology (Paperback)
Very Good!

Phraseology
Phraseology by Barbara Ann Kipfer (Paperback - 27 Feb 2009)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available