5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely sequel to P&P
Published on 24 Aug 2008 by Mrs. D. J. Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars The Pemberley Platitudes
Congratulations! I wouldn't have thought it possible to turn Elizabeth into a gently weeping heroine, whose main pasttime consists of giving moonstruck looks to Darcy and Darcy returning them! Evidently I was wrong in assuming that Jane Austen's characters couldn't be misread so far.

Of course, I have to admit to belonging to that despised group of people...
Published on 9 Sep 2008 by A. Lobensommer

1.0 out of 5 stars The Pemberley Platitudes, 9 Sep 2008
A. Lobensommer (Munich, Germany) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pemberley Chronicles (Paperback)

Of course, I have to admit to belonging to that despised group of people actually working with and interpreting literature and the implied author makes it more than clear that those are beneath her notice and that she intends simply to continue Austen's delightful work without any thoughts for critics - or indeed, Jane Austen's style of writing, which "She at no time presumes to imitate" (Vii) as indeed, she'd be completely incapable of, writing more in the vein of Danielle Steel or Rosamund Pilcher.

If you are looking for a travesty of the wit and irony we've grown accustomed to associating with Jane Austen and would prefer a wet time with dozens of handkerchiefs necessary to dry the rivers of tears, and enjoy a narrator, who is none too sure to which time she's supposed to belong and thus keeps changing without rhyme or reason, I'd advice you to go ahead and bury yourself in this work - preferrably with this work, for then I wouldn't have come across it and attempted to read it earlier on.

In this astonishing sequel female characters are transformed into astoundingly gentle weeping willows, ready to fall into their husbands' arms at the slightest provocation and frequently bereft of speech as far as expressing their love is concerned. One can't help wishing the narrator were as bereft of speech and thus stopped narrating and eulogising this fact, but maybe that is too much to hope for, given that Elizabeth is still decribed as sparkling and witty without giving one single amusing or ironic comment during the first ninety pages - after which I gave up in disgust and utter boredom.

However, Mr Bennet and Mr Darcy have certainly caught her affliction and prove unable to exercise their wit as well. Clearly, that has been drowned by the oceans of tears around them.

Finally, just to mention the language once more: Here at last the narrator proves to be true to herself, for she certainly manages to avoid even resembling Jane Austen's style and thus stays within her capabilities. This assures that the reader never once manages to forget that Collins' text was written in the twenty-first century and completely dispels even the tiniest attempt at losing oneself in the story.

Frankly, it's a waste of paper (if there were minus stars, I'd award them!) and if you'd like to read any sequels, I'd recommend the ironic tones of Julia Barrett's "Presumption" or the fascinating character studies of Elizabeth Newark's "The Darcys Give a Ball".

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely sequel to P&P, 24 Aug 2008
Mrs. D. J. Smith "eowyngreenleaf" (Luton, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Pemberley Chronicles (Paperback)
At 350 pages, The Pemberley Chronicles is one of the longest sequels to Austen's Pride & Prejudice; it's also, in my opinion, one of the best. The book covers a period of about 25 years after the end of P&P; we have births, marraiges, deaths, tears and laughter. Lizzy is obviously at the centre of it all, but there are plently of other P&P characters, and of course some new ones, who appear in this story. It's a story of family lives and of the greater political happenings and social changes in the country.

I don't want to add much more as I don't want to spoil the story. If you are an avid reader of P&P sequels, I'd recommend this one to you though. I'm interested to see what else Ms Collins has in store, as this is only the first sequel of a series!

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Much Like a History Book, 27 Sep 2008
Lynne Robson "Lynne" (Dronfield, Derbyshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pemberley Chronicles (Paperback)
I have read the first six books of this extra long story and found them like a history book of England with our favourite characters added. I found that the first one was very good but the stories went down and down and the history increased. Most people like myself who have read them recommend you make a family tree of sorts or you will not know when and where each person belongs in that family.

I found them very hard to read and extreamly disappointing as an avid sequel reader to pride and prejudice I felt that this time I had wasted my money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pemberley Chronicles, 12 Mar 2014
An excellently written story about the extended family from a member of the Darcy clan. Few emotions are not left out from deepest love and happiness to destructive misery and sadness, but through it all shines the bond of family love and support.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good to be back in Bennett time, 28 Jan 2014
The book covers 20 or so years and does so very quickly. Although new characters are liked you never develop the same relationship as with those in the original. Good book but would have preferred more attention to the character development than the political backdrop.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pemberley Chronicles., 11 Jan 2013
This review is from: Pemberley Chronicles (Paperback)
I'm still reading it, but I have really enjoyed reading it. The Authors way of writing reminds me of how Amanda Grange wrote her book 'Mr Darcy's Diary' which I enjoyed as well. If you liked 'Mr Darcy's Diary' you will like this one. Once you start reading it, you will get lost in the story. The only problem is to get my jobs done first otherwise trouble.

3.0 out of 5 stars Vapid but with a few redeeming features, 20 Feb 2009
This review is from: Pemberley Chronicles (Paperback)
I am a great fan of Jane Austen, and do like to read around her novels. I would not rate this book too highly as the storyline is slight and Elizabeth is not the character we all love, rather a one dimensional character tending to the smug married! The interesting part of the book is in the social history of the times, and the political movements which were beginnning to demand social justice for all.
Wait to read it in your library but not worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Writing, 7 Aug 2009
This review is from: Pemberley Chronicles (Paperback)
This is a brilliant sequel to Pride and Prejudice. It is very well written and captivated me from start to finish. I couldn't put it down. Highly recommended from a serious Pride and Prejudice fan.

Pemberley Chronicles
Pemberley Chronicles by Rebecca Ann Collins (Paperback - 26 Sep 2008)