4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant surprise
Published on 6 Mar 2008 by dandelion

1.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, poorly executed
There are so many issues with this novel I hardly know where to start... but I will try in order to save others from this poor piece of work.

Published on 7 Oct 2009 by Maria Hopkins

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant surprise, 6 Mar 2008
dandelion (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mr Darcy's Diary (Paperback)
As an Austen addict I have read some of the sequels and found most of them silly and boring so I had no great expectations of this book, but it is a nice treat. She does not fall into the Barbara Cartland style that so many Austen-wannabees often do. The language is very good and she really makes an effort (as someone else wrote) to write Austenish. I agree with the other review that said that one really feels Darcy's torment and that this sequel is close to Colin Firth's interpretation of Darcy.

5.0 out of 5 stars FitzWilliam Darcy, revisited! Oooooh, mercy!, 10 May 2007
kellytwo "kellytwo" (cleveland hts, ohio) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mr Darcy's Diary (Paperback)
What an insidious book this is! It just grabs you and sucks you right into it, so that you can't or don't even want to put it down for even one second. You just want to keep reading and reading and reading. Oh, my.

It is so easy to picture the Darcy and Elizabeth of the marvelous BBC/A&E production of ten years ago as you read Darcy's words. You wonder how this pompous stuffy prig ever managed to have even one friend, let alone the darling Charles Bingley. Darcy is the most disagreeable character until Lizzie takes him down several notches. Good for her!

When you first start reading this, you tend to think, `oh, this is so simple,' but then before you quite know what's happened, you're part of the story, and it just won't let go. You ride along, sort of on Darcy's shoulder, watching as the action unfolds with the Bennet family and Wickham, the Lucases and Mr. Collins, Lady deBourgh and her household, and Darcy's sister Georgiana and cousin FitzWilliam, plus of course, Bingley and his sisters. It's amazing! In the other versions (including the wonderful original) you see everything as it happens from your standpoint as an observer. First person is so very different, creating almost a `you are there!' situation.

You won't soon forget this Mr. Darcy. Of course, I've not yet forgotten the other one - Colin Firth as the premier Mr. Darcy of all time. It was amazing to hear that voice in my mind as I read his words and felt his inner pain as he tumbles from his lofty perch to join the rest of us mortals in his quest for the love of his life. Eventually, he's even willing to put up with Mrs. Bennet if only he can have his Lizzie.

Of course, true love wins out in the end. Hooray! Brava to Ms. Grange. This is a masterful concept, masterfully executed. I wouldn't mind a sequel, either.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets the balance just right, 4 Oct 2007
K. Hurst "Kate Hurst" (Lancashire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mr Darcy's Diary (Paperback)
This is only the third Austen-inspired novel I have read but I found it excellent. I only read it by chance because my mother saw it in the library and picked it up thinking I would like it and I loved it.

What a writer has to be careful of with taking a character like Darcy as the main focus is that his reserve must be just as much of a feature as his growing love for Elizabeth Bennet. Amanda Grange has done well not only to show her reader the warmth of feeling hidden behind the proud exterior, but has also skilfully demonstrated his changing attitudes and the way his character evolves throughout the timespan of Pride and Prejudice.

The book being in diary form, meticulous attention is given to the dating of events. It could be argued that many of the conversations in the novel are drawn from Austen's original text, but given that this story is essentially Pride and Prejudice from another perspective it is inevitable that some crossover should occur.

One other thing I appreciated was the pains Amanda Grange took to make the novel's action "period-correct". Darcy and Elizabeth are never inappropriately close and she explores the disgrace of Lydia and the trouble her relations take to try to make her see the reality of her actions.

I have not yet purchased this book but when it goes back to the library, I think I will have to. It comes to a satisfying conclusion and - given the possible hint of further plot development at the end - I hope the author is considering making her Darcy begin another diary where this one finishes.

5.0 out of 5 stars How good to see it well done, 5 Aug 2008
This review is from: Mr Darcy's Diary (Paperback)
I recently read part (and a very small part) of Linda Berdoli's ghastly attempt to write a Pride & Prejudice sequel, Mr Darcy Takes a Bride. I've written a review of it, which can be read on that page. Here, I'll just say that it is the worst book I've ever tried to read. I had also ordered Amanda Grange's diary by Mr Darcy, and I rather dreaded reading it for fear it might turn out to be more rubbish. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that Ms Grange can write and that she knew how to get this right. The great trap for amateur writers trying to write a period book, especially one based on an existing classic, is that it can lead to attempts to imitate the original style. Instead, Grange chose the right path, writing in clear modern prose that did not jar with the conceit of this being a diary written in the early 19th century. She also avoided the trap of inventing so much that she would be out-Austening Austen. Her narrative runs smoothly alongside the original text without seeming a boring repetition of it. The insights we have of Darcy's thought processes do not alarm us. They are much what we always expected. But it is a pleasure to see the story from a different angle. It must be very hard to keep the reader's attention since, after all, they know what happens at every turn. I plan to read more of her novels, and I recommend this one very heartily.

1.0 out of 5 stars Good idea, poorly executed, 7 Oct 2009
This review is from: Mr Darcy's Diary (Paperback)

There can be only one Miss Austen; everything else is poor pastiche. Although the idea of a diary written by Mr Darcy is one that has great promise, it must follow that if one takes on such an endeavour, then one must execute it in the tone and manner of the time. Instead the author has interspersed the dialogue copied from Miss Austen's work, scattered in amongst it, a more modern tone of voice. Thus the voice changes mid-flow, as if Mr Darcy is more of a Jekyll and Hyde character than the gentleman we all know so well.

The other challenge for the author must have been the format itself. A diary, an novel in epistolary format, rarely contains dialogue. Who writes entire pages of dialoges in their diary? 'He told me that...' would seem a more adequate way of writing in one's journal.

There are factual mishaps as well; for example, the author has Mr Darcy looking to replace Mr Wickham Sr, a full three years after his departure from this earth. Not only would there have been no shades at Pemberley for Elizabeth to pollute had Mr Darcy waited thus long, but it would also not be in his character to wish for the delay.

The author seems to like to explain for the more intellectually challenged readers of P&P what it was about Elizabeth that Darcy found so attractive, and to make clear the etiquette of the time in doing so. *yawn* Trust the readers with some intelligence, please, Ms Grange.

Immediately after reading this, I wondered if Miss Austen was spinning in her grave at such an unabashed effort to milk her intellect for personal gain (since there is little or no creativity on behalf of Ms Grange in this effort), but I have come to the conclusion that, as usual, she would not. Rather, she would be diverted at the vanity of Ms Grange, and all those of us who spent money to read this novel.

Nice try, Ms Grange, no cigar.

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely FANTASTIC, 21 Dec 2007
G. Dalessandro (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mr Darcy's Diary (Paperback)
I got this book through yesterday morning and finished the whole book in one sitting. Any plans for that day were duly cancelled as I could not put this book down for a moment. Like the lady below stated it just sucks you right in!

What a fantastic read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Fitzwilliam Darcy---humanized!, 14 Aug 2009
J. Lesley "(Judy)" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Mr Darcy's Diary (Paperback)
The aspect of this novel by Amanda Grange which pleases me most is that she has been successful in turning Fitzwilliam Darcy into a flesh and blood man. Since Pride and Prejudice is essentially written from Elizabeth Bennet's point of view, at times I want an explanation of what Darcy is thinking. This book managed to do that for me. Even knowing that these words, thoughts and ideas do not come from Jane Austen, I am still completely satisfied with thinking "my" Mr. Darcy would have been like this. He was arrogant, he did believe in his own self-importance, he did interfere in Bingley's life. But, he also learned from Elizabeth and Bingley and the situations he found himself in that he could change. He didn't need to stay so stiff and formal. He could actually learn to tease and be teased and the world as he knew it would still remain on its axis.

I found this book to be slow going at first. I really didn't think I was going to be able to accept this Darcy as the same one who lives in my imagination. But a strange thing happened as I continued to read. I began to really like this man. Amanda Grange had made him a true, real, loveable person for me. As most of the other reviewers have said, I also am a huge fan of the Jane Austen books. Ms Grange does not try to be Jane Austen. She tries to be herself, giving us her version of how she thinks Fitzwilliam Darcy might have responded to his situations. I applaud her effort and recommend this book as a worthwhile read.

This is just a little extra information in case you get confused (as I did). This book came out in Britain in 2005 in hardcover and was titled DARCY'S DIARY. It has a full head portrait of Darcy on the cover, quite interesting but maybe just a little too feminine for "my" Darcy. The paperback was published in 2007 and is titled MR. DARCY'S DIARY. I, of course, was not careful and managed to buy them both. The paperback has only a partial portrait, probably because the publisher discovered that each of us has our own mental picture of Fitzwilliam Darcy. Both books are identical in every way except as I have stated. Now, my advice is to just read and enjoy one copy or the other.

4.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 18 July 2008
SSmith (Milton Keynes) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mr Darcy's Diary (Paperback)
I am a huge Austen fan, and completely obsessed with P&P. I would usually not consider a book such as this, believing no one but JA can write about Mr. Darcy. But I spotted this in the Jane Austen Centre in Bath, and figured that if they were prepared to sell it, it must be considered worth reading!

For the first few pages, I wasn't so sure this was the case. But as I read on, I felt compelled to read it as quickly as possible. Despite knowing what was going to happen next, and reading the same conversations and so on which I know so well already, this was an entertaining, delightful insight into Mr. Darcy's mind and private thoughts. Whilst I question whether he was the sort of person to keep a diary, it is convincing and well written, and includes a lovely few pages about life after they are married, including a little twist concerning some of the "minor" characters.

I think this is a delightful read - I read it in 5 days, and recommend to all Jane Austen / Pride & Prejudice fans.

1.0 out of 5 stars read the original and use your imagination, 13 Jun 2008
beta gamma (Warsaw, Poland) - See all my reviews
224 pages, out of which:
49 pages - mid-titles or blanks
100 pages - dialogues copied directly from "Pride and prejudice", the difference is changed perspective (Darcy instead of a third person, so it is "I said" instead of "he said") and the loss of charm and witty comments on society
75 pages - new content (Georgiana's seduction, winter in London after leaving Netherfield, the time between 1st proposal to Elizabeth and seeing her in Pemberley, searching for Lydia and Wickham in London, wedded bliss in Pemberley)
This is supposed to be Darcy's diary, but imagine a diary in which a man writes down page after page after page of his conversations with his friend and the friend's sisters, his cousin, aunt, wife and every person he meets. And when he writes a letter to Elizabeth to explain himself with regard to separating Bingley and Jane and his treatment of Wickham he copies into his diary all 5 versions of the letter that he has written. But there is nothing about how he sees the world, the society, what he thinks and feels (only that he cannot help looking at Miss Bennet, yes, we already know that)
I love "Pride and Prejudice" and will stay with Jane Austen's version of Darcy and whatever I can imagine about him and his character, the person presented here is simply arrogant and boring (I can't see how Elizabeth would fall in love with him). This book offers nothing interesting, the dialogues from "P&P" I can read in original, much better setting. And the fact that only 75 pages (33%) of the book is Ms Granger's own work makes me think not too nicely about the author.

(the page count refers to hardcover edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, 5 Sep 2011
This review is from: Mr Darcy's Diary (Paperback)
I am a HUGE Jane Austen fan. Pride and Prejudice has been my favourite fictional book for thirty years ~ since reading it for the first time as a 15 year old school girl. I am, I admit, a little protective of the book and am dubious of modern authors attempts at companions and sequels to this master piece.

However, Amanda Grange is a talented author. I have read both this book and a lot of her other Diaries (for other Austen heroes). I have read them a few times now. The mere fact that I feel the need to re~visit this book demonstrates how well written it is. Pride and Prejudice follows Elizabeth's view of Darcy and her struggles, misunderstandings and love. This book (like others in this series) give the account of the hero.

I have, before, read books whose characters bear no resemblance to Elizabeth and Darcy. This book encapsulates their personalities, speech and mannerisms perfectly. Whilst written in an easy to read, modern style, the book still maintains the spirit of the original story and broadens the storyline instead of changing it.

I thoroughly enjoyed Amanda Grange's representation of Darcy (no small feat, as I have loved him for thirty years lol). I have finished reading this book again today and once again it reduced me to (happy) tears at various times in the story. I had no mascara left by the time I'd finished the book!

I love Amanda Grange's work and would read anything I came across that was written by her. A wonderful book for both Austen fans and for people that would like to read Austen but find her style a little hard to progress through.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Mr Darcy's Diary
Mr Darcy's Diary by Amanda Grange (Paperback - 1 July 2007)