5.0 out of 5 stars My Daughter's Favourite Book
Published on 18 Nov 2004 by Robert S.

I Don't normally write reviews....

Published 20 days ago by Jock Tamson

5.0 out of 5 stars My Daughter's Favourite Book, 18 Nov 2004
I read this book to my four-year-old daughter, and she has since become obsessed with it. We continue to read it chapter by chapter, over and over again each night. She runs around the house and back yard pretending to be Marigold and Dragonfly, and she has demanded a peacock feather wand and a fairy handbook. After doing some research on this series, I have discovered that the pages of a fairy handbook appear blank to ordinary people, so it was easy to buy a blank journal and print a label for the cover. Now, she writes in her fairy handbook daily with crayons, usually 3 giant words per page, and draws pictures of butterflies and fairies. Having almost memorized this book, I am looking forward to the day whan she can read it on her own. I recommend Marigold and the Feather of Hope to any parent of a fairy princess with a word of warning - this story can be addictive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable Fairy Tale, 9 Nov 2004
Beth is marigold fairy. She attends fairy circle and meets her new friends Dragonfly, Thistle, and Firefly. With help from Beth's dachshund, Peanut, they set out on a mission to rescue the Feather of Hope (the source of all hope on earth) from a house full of nasty gremlins.
This story is highly imaginative and presents a new twist on traditional fairy lore because the fairies are real girls living among us. With an emphasis on respect for nature, tolerance of differences, and helping others, this book has the power to teach as well as entertain. Add in an adorable dog and fun aspects such as the fairies' love for lemon jellybeans, and the gremlins' fear of vacuum cleaners, dachshunds, and stainless steel, and you have a great story to enjoy again and again. Recommended read for all peoples and ages, particularly girls ages 8-14.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Concept of Fairies Today, 22 Dec 2004
It seems many fairy stories today are either completely rooted in the lore of old, or so trendy that they are obvious mimics of the most popular magical books of our times. I am pleased to report that this book is neither. There is still beauty and delicacy in the realm of The Fairy Chronicles, but the characters are real and genuine human beings.
If there are fairies in our world today, this is precisely how they are living and participating in society. I believe fairies would have progressed with the world to be exactly like this. They would not have stayed stuck in time. I am very impressed that this story presents both lovely elements of fairy fancy and strong characters of today who take action and get things done.
I am tempted to believe that all of this is real, and I wonder how many fairies I might know who are carrying out their important fairy business very cleverly and secretly right under my nose. Even though I am in my forties, this story makes me wish I were a fairy. This is a wonderful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Really Good Book, 25 Nov 2004
This is a really good book. It is about a girl who finds out she is a fairy. Then she has to go with her friends to rescue the feather of hope from gremlins. I read this book to my little sister. She thinks it is the best book of all time. I think Harry Potter books are better because they are longer. She likes this book because it is shorter. Maybe this book is better because it is more about girls. Mom printed us another Fairy Chronicles book from the internet. We both like it because it is about a peaceful dragon. We are keeping it in a folder to read again. My sister wants a pussywillow wand. She will get one because she is five. I want a wooden wand because it is more grown up like Harry Potter. I want a daschund but I can't have one because we already have a poodle. This is a very very good book. You should read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, Engaging Must Read, 22 Sep 2004
Susan Richmond (Conneaut Lake, PA United States) - See all my reviews
Marigold and The Feather of Hope is a must read for all ages. Girls, ages 7-14, will find strength, power, and wisdom in J.H. Sweet's words. Vivid, colorful characters and settings make the story come alive. The story-line is captivating and intriguing, and it keeps you reading until the last page. Looking forward to the next books in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars A general note on the whole series, 6 July 2009
M. Oxby "victheviking" (Messingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marigold and the Feather of Hope, the Journey Begins (The Fairy Chronicles, Book 1) (Paperback)
I bought four of the Fairy Chronicles books for my nieces and they appear to be very nicely written books with lovely illustrations. My only niggle would be that because they are by an American author there are a few "Amercanisms" in the narrative (one such is "goofing off school"), which could throw a young reader. But other than that I think they would appeal to most 7-9 year old girls.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Adventure, 29 April 2007
This author has found an exciting way to entertain while exposing young readers to diverse cultures and nature appreciation. I have read the book to my 3 year old daughter, and amazingly the story held her interest! She actually asked when we were going to read the story again. Thank you for making this excellent adventure available for readers of all ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars fun reading, 13 May 2007
Anyone interested in children's literature will enjoy this book. It is very well written -- has fun, adventure and good lessons to be learned. Also rekindles memories of younger days for the "older crowd". I hope to see much more by this author! The world needs more good fairy tales.

5.0 out of 5 stars AN AWESOME FAIRY ADVENTURE ... MUST READ THE SERIES!, 18 Aug 2005
WOW! A LITTLE GIRL WITH A FLOWER FAIRY SPIRIT AND A BUTTERFLY MENTOR! Grabs you right up front, doesn't it?
Well, that's the magic about this author; she weaves a story around a real child, then surrounds the child with the most marvelous playmates, gives them wonderful adventures, and OFF we go ... for the fantasy of a lifetime.
Author Sweet is a really "sweet" storyteller (pun intended). Wonderful characters; great dialogue; and out-of-this-world adventures. Don't miss this fun-to-read book! I highly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Paperback book printed/published in US with US-style spelling, 8 Dec 2014
I Don't normally write reviews....

UK paperback bought for my daughter(almost 7). The illustrations are somewhat reminiscent of Andrew Laing's 'coloured' fairy tales(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Lang%27s_Fairy_Books) and, while I'm confident my daughter will enjoy both narrative and images, I'm very disappointed that the printed book uses US-style spelling('color' rather than 'colour') which is NOT good for a child developing reading skills. 3 stars for the 'printed and bound in the US' style spelling - and amazon UK's failure to flag it as such - which will, unfortunately, require careful redaction by UK parents wishing to ensure their children don't pick up culturally incorrect spelling habits.