5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, Soul-moving.
Published on 26 April 2006 by Annah Husayn

1.0 out of 5 stars To get ahead, get God!
This book purports to be a personal history - in effect the autobiography - of a Rwandan woman, Immaculee Ilibagiza. Born into a comfortable, well-educated, high status Tutsi family and brought up as a devout Catholic, she paints a rose-tinted picture of village and family life during her early years. A bright, assertive and ambitious girl, she studies science at...
Published on 5 Sept. 2010 by Gloops

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, Soul-moving., 26 April 2006
Annah Husayn (UK) - See all my reviews
This book touched every part of me. The book is so well written and it makes you feel angry, sad and amazed. I started to read it and could not put it down, I carried on reading until I finished the book. How these things happen in the first place is something that is so frightening. Imaculee's strength, resiliance, intelligence, compassion, forgiveness, emotions and view points are those of a saint. She is such a role model to all of us and her strong belief in God and her trust in Him blows you away. This is a must read for everyone that wants to make this world better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anyone reading this will surely cry, 30 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Left to Tell: One Woman's Story of Surviving the Rwandan Holocaust (Paperback)
What an amazing book!

Or maybe it is just an amazing story, the hideous inhumanity that prejudice can drive us to coupled by incredible forgiveness. I read the whole book in 24 hours straight - something that I haven't done in years.

Immaculee is from a loving, respected Catholic family in a small town in the west of Rwanda. A family who believed your tribal background shouldn't matter in a country where history and particularly Belgian colonial rule had made it of paramount importance.

It is the story of her childhood and adolescence in Rwanda before the unbelievable genocide that was encouraged by the government and allowed to run unchecked by the rest of the world. It is Immaculee's story of God's love, strength and revelation to her in situations that none of us ever want to imagine, the brutal murder of family and friends by their own friends and neighbours and yet it is not an overtly religious book.

Although in a part of the world of which I have no experience it was so easy to imagine all the people as real people that you could know and that is as it is, they are or were real people.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't put this book down., 26 April 2006
J. Kisseih (Surrey, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I read this book from cover to cover in two days and it was like watching a gripping and emotional film (sitting on the edge of the seat the entire time). It is hard to believe that this sort of thing can happen as recently as 1994. It is also terrible to think that the world stood by and let these innocent people get butchered by their fellow citizens - so much for the United Nations! Immaculee - I am sorry you lost your family but glad that you have now found a new life and family in the US.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, 3 Feb. 2007
Alli "abanasta1" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I was given this book to read after making rave comments about the equally must read 'We Wish to Inform You' by Philip Gourevitch. In 1994 I was 24 and was oblivious to what was going on in Rwanda and only learned when I watched the film Hotel Rwanda. Immaculee's book is both sad and inspiring and her amazing strength and hopefulness for the future, after what she endured and lost, is an inspiration to us all. What happened in Rwanda should be compulsory reading for all of us and I am ashamed at my country's and Allies' shameful actions and response during the holocaust that happened there. What makes people become such animals is beyond comprehension and i cannot understand how none of the Hutus' hearts softened - I guess a catalogue of events and encouragement from Government level is to blame. Lets pray that nothing like this happens again and harden our resolve here in the West to intervene in the future. Good luck to you Immacculee and I am please that you have now been blessed with happiness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 26 Jun. 2006
I read this book in a couple of hours - was completely hooked and could not put it down.

Immaculee is an absolutely remarkable woman. her courage, faith and determination in the face of such terror and advisity is absolutely inspirational - whatever your belief.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Story, 17 Jun. 2006
W. Cooper (London) - See all my reviews
I read this book in 2 days- I just could not put it down, When I started reading this book I was feeling a bit down, discouraged by life in general, after reading this book all my "problems" seemed trivial compared to the atrocities that the people involed in the rwandan holocast had to endure. Immaculee strengh is amazing she is truely a great example to all of us. this book will make cry & question the world we live in today. a must read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Prepare to be moved, 15 Nov. 2008
M. Ward (Shropshire, England) - See all my reviews
An excellent book chronicling one woman's amazing struggle for survival in the absolute madness of the Rwandan genocide. You could not fail to be deeply moved by this harrowing account of minute by minute survival with an ultimate message of hope. Superb reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars I cried, 11 Aug. 2007
D. H. Bowlt "Tortoise" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I havent read a book that made me cry for ages.

The general story is about the Rwanden holocaust. How Immaculee's neighbors and friends turned against them, how their goverment turned against them, how their country turned against them. only because they were born tutsi. About half of the story is dedicated to Immaculee growing up in a country she loved, she didnt even know her tribe untill she enterd second shool. She was mostly unnaware of the political situation deterioating untill the war actually started. She was in uni by that time and her father had just asked her to return home When she did return home the holocaist started and her small village was in turmoil, the family was split up. She was hidden in a small cramped bathroom with 6 or 7 other women for about 9 weeks listening to the radios blurt out lies, and best friends deny liking them and accuse her family of trying to kill them and all the other hutus in the area. God was Immaculees savior. that is probally the moral of the book (if there is 1 bar dont dicriminate) that god is all power full and we must learn to love him and his other children, no matter what evil posses them, we must learn to forgive. The oral isnt forced upon you but you know its there, the style of writing is very good. I give it FOUR STARS
Over 1 million people died in the Rwanden holocaust, and to think that it so long for the western world what happend!!

read it its ace (in a sad way)

ps. very religous, but in a good way. It shows how diffrent people cope with tragdys.

thanks hope this helped
:D

4.0 out of 5 stars The evil that men do, 25 April 2009
This book will shock you. It shows clearly how evil man can be, how cruel, and how depraved. We believe we are the most intelligent beings on earth, but anyone reading this book will be forced to review their beliefs. The story told by Immaculee Ilibagiza is a compelling and very personal one. To my surprise I did not find the author a completely sympathetic figure in the book; there was a slight touch of something (haughtiness/self-importance?) that I had not expected, and it was only when I saw her being interviewed on TV that the true decency of her character was revealed. I suspect this may have to do with the fact that the story was written in Immaculee's third language and then brushed up with the help of another writer, which sometimes gives an abruptness to the narrative tone of the book. A powerful book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A powerful and shocking story of what evil can do in the hearts of people, 15 Oct. 2009
I was in college during the Rwandan genocide in 1994. It's beyond my comprehension to think about the bloodshed that was happening on the other side of the world. Immaculée Ilibagiza tells the true story of her life growing up in Rwanda with her loving family. She learned early on that she was in a different tribe than the majority of her neighbors, but never did she consider that they might turn on her and her family. That her friends might someday pick up machetes and guns and murder anyone from her tribe. But that's exactly what happened.

Immaculée's father and brothers encourages her to hide out at a pastor's house nearby. He hid her and seven other women in a tiny half bathroom for three months. She could hear the killers roaming the streets on the other side of the wall. She prayed that God would protect her family and the women in the bathroom. But when she finally got out, she was one of the few survivors left to tell what had happened.

This is a powerful and shocking story of what evil can do in the hearts of people. The killers were murdering innocents in the streets, women, children, and infants alike. I was amazed at Immaculée's story of how she grew close to God in the three months she hid in the bathroom, but I was even more amazed at how she learned to forgive those who killed her family and friends. This is hard to read and shares some graphic details of how Immaculée's loved ones were killed. I strongly recommend it to anyone who harbors hatred against another. To see what this young woman went through and that she rose above the hatred and evil that she had the opportunity to embrace in revenge was inspiring. I am so proud of her.

Left to Tell: One Woman's Story of Surviving the Rwandan Holocaust
Left to Tell: One Woman's Story of Surviving the Rwandan Holocaust by Immaculée Ilibagiza (Paperback - 26 July 2007)
Used & New from: £0.01