4.0 out of 5 stars Wayne's world
Tao Te Ching..meaning Book of The Way, or book of the Word. One of the best books ever written. Or, if you read the author's insights in the preface, Book of the Way-ne Dye-r (adder of color and light) : )

If you are like most people, you may be wondering should I get this particular version, and how does it compare with other versions or his earlier book...
Published on 26 April 2009 by L. Power

3.0 out of 5 stars fast food spirituality
Overall, I'm a bit disappointed with this book. I'd heard of Wayne Dyer and had reasonably high expectations for this book. The idea of presenting the Tao Te Ching in language intended to be more accessible to a Western reader sounded appealing.

The book is not awful, and it's not even bad... but for some reason, reading it makes me feel sort of down, rather...
Published on 24 Jan 2010 by MousieTongue's KM

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 11 Sep 2013
I took my time to read this seminal work and will read it again and again. So many wonderful inspiring messages, well structured and thought out by Wayne. If we all lived by these words the world would be even more magical :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT, 22 Jan 2013
I am in the middle of reading this and it's one of those you want to never end. So inspirational. Can't recommend highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars "I come from from greatness. I attract greatness. I am greatness.", 8 Jan 2010
This review is from: Change Your Thoughts - Change Your Life: Living The Wisdom Of The Tao (Paperback)
I love this book!

I went throughout it like Dr. Wayne advised, one chapter a day.

I would recommend that book for everyone who would like to have detailed insight into Tao Te Ching text.
It is very easy to read and understand although not necessarily simple to adopt in everyday life at the beginning.

The book has helped me to achieve calmness of mind and peace in my life;
and understood certain unwritten laws existing in our world..

Thank you..

"The Tao is always at ease.
It overcomes without competing,
answers without speaking a word,
arrives without being summoned,
accomplishes without a plan." chapter 73

I would also recommend Tao: The Pathless Path by Osho.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Atheist meets his match!, 15 Nov 2009
Magic Lemur (Somewhere in Madagascar) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I've been an atheist for about 6 months now & had got to the point where I realised that yes: it may have truth to it, but it doesn't translate into any kind of way of life. In fact, I'd go so far to say that it is very much a negative philosophy of 'I don't believe in something', rather than asserting something to believe in.

So I watched The Tao Of Steve (after reading the peerless book My Friend Leonard) & was intrigued enough to search up the subject, whereupon I discovered this & the book itself. I tried the Tao Te Ching but the version I had is a little dense & ineloquent, requiring detailed study & reflection.

When I tried this, however, it was like pure spiritual truth. Each verse (as the reviewer 'L Power' points out) is a condensed, simple version of the Tao (if not 100% faithful) & the small essays elaborate on the important themes of each verse to aid understanding.
Saying this, to my critical faculties it struck me as woolly & soft. But as I got into it, I realised that the Rabbit hole did go very deep indeed.

The weirdest thing is that most audio CD's rely on you hearing the majority of the words (& remembering them) in order to understand the contents. Driving in a car, this is not always feasible but this CD seems to work on a subconcious level, meaning the wisdom is not necessarily perceived although it is certainly acted on & absorbed by the mind.

My one criticism (if I might be so bold) is that the Tao does not seem at heart to be a Christian Theistic philosophy, but more Pantheist. This CD relies heavily on the Bible & God to explain the Tao even though (as he Dr Dyer confesses on CD 7) the Taoist concept of God has nothing to do with reward & punishment.
I also think that (given that Jesus took many of his ideas from Buddha) that Dr Dyer should quote more from Buddha and less from Jesus.

That said, I did find the Biblical verses added understanding & the CD is bold in proclaiming Taoist philosophy & that we all worship one 'God'.
I'm still an atheist, but I now think that there is a decent competing philosophy - one which is less harsh, more subtle & which gives direction in life. I'd recommend this CD set as an excellent starting point for anyone interested in Taoism & I think it is an excellent way to balance ones life - between the relentless fierce logic of secularism, and the pure embracing (almost naive) love of the Tao.

***

P.S. Something completely random that I realised the other day is that Wayne Dyer has a very similar voice to Morpheus from The Matrix. Maybe the undefinable Tao is actually the Matrix, who knows?

4.0 out of 5 stars A good introduction, 27 Nov 2009
We were introduced to the Tao by a friend and were looking for a book that would give us a way in to discovering more about this ancient approach to life. Wayne Dwyer's approach suited our purposes - first he offers a translation of each of the 81 verses, then he seeks to explain what it means, then he follows that with a way of applying the message in everyday life. Each chapter is no more than a few pages long so the Tao is presented in bite size chunks - Dwyer recommends taking it slowly, one verse a day. The Tao is complex and translators have to deal with a limited number of Chinese characters that were set down centuries ago. No wonder, then, that translations can differ quite a lot. Dwyer has attemped to distill the essence of the meaning of each verse. For beginners like us the sense of meaning is more important than technical perfection. We found it a very useful introduction to the Tao.

5.0 out of 5 stars My all time favourite, 17 Mar 2011
I began by listening to the audio version of this book which is brilliant. I'm now on my third listen with the book alongside, so that I can underline and make notes on it. I've read over 200 books on spirituality, success, personal development etc. This is one is my all time favourites! Most of what is said just rings true. It feels right, and it allows you to relax into the world knowing that you don't need to struggle. There is so much to learn, you can read it again and again and get something new each time.
I'd highly recommend this book or audio to anyone with an interest in Taoism and wanting to know how to live a happier more peaceful life.
With 81 chapters, averaging 3 pages each, it is a nice easy read too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 2 Oct 2010
This is an amazing book, best read slowly, in chapters, reflect each one.... it is life changing... am so glad I bought it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay but why buy him when there are proper versions out there?, 3 Sep 2008
T. Young "Truth" (London) - See all my reviews
I would not have bought the book if I have had a browse thorough it.

Basically, the book is on the Tao Te Ching (which is free all over the net) with his commentary on it. His commentary is his interpretation of it which is fair enough but seems really waffley and boring. Also, he only took a year to write it. He even said he read the verses from 10 translations, thought about it, then wrote a commentary on it. Yeah, well researched... not.

My recommendation is to google Tao Te Ching and read all the free stuff over the net. No need to get this book at all. Or get the actual proper versions like Dover thrift edition, penguin etc.

(Oh don't buy FREE YOUR MIND by Sensei Anthony Stultz because it is full of fake reviews including the one above and not very good. I got conned.)

5.0 out of 5 stars A very insightful and thought-provoking read, 14 Dec 2009
Ally (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a fantastic book - into which it is evident a great deal of hard work was dedicated. It gives a comprehensible insight that allows you to learn about the Tao Te Ching and at the same time realise how relevant the lessons are to modern life. I have yet to pick this book up and walk away with nothing to think about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Making "The Way" More Accessible, 12 Nov 2007
I believe that this book and the book Understanding: Train of Thought
are the two most influential books on the market. These books are
designed to be savored one page at a time and they are full of life
lessons, which are done in such a way that will help you create a
more joyous life. I can't recommend these books highly enough.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›